Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ohio Section Championship - a shooters perspective

Rich,

I would love to set posts and run barbed wire. Seems one heck of a lot more admirable than being a slave to a desk, telephone, or airline seat on a daily basis!!!

And free camping on top of that!! Don't think I could go wrong..... However, about that compensation package.... you know..... salary, bonus, 401k etc. If we can work those issues out.... you've got a deal!!!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brian --- you've made my day! I hope my next reply says: "welcome aboard"!

Now about that compensation, that's where the eatin' comes in. If'n ya don't eat a lot (we provide two huge meals per day) you can "sell back" yer eatin' allowance and deposit that into your 401K for your golden years. Also, you'll be makin' 10 cents/foot for four strand and 8 cents/foot for three strand. 50 cents per post hand-driven or 20 cents per post using my tractor-mounted post pounder.

I know, it seems like an astronomical sum of money you'll be makin', but that's the generous soul that I am!!!!! Why, before you know it, you'll be the top hand around here!

What say you?

Rich,

This opportunity sounds just too good to be true.... and not that I don't trust you or anything..... but I learned a loooonnnnngggggg time ago that 'if it sounds too good to be true.... well, it probably is too good to be true!'

I know, I know.... I am probably making a bad career move here, but at least for now, I am going to have to pass. However, thanks for considering me!!

Brian --- dad-nabbit!!!!!  Thought for sure I had a live one! Guess I'm gonna have to change my strategy; quit stressin' the exhorbitant sums a top hand can make and start informing 'em about all the shooting opportunities that abound in Owyhee County. That oughta set the hook!

See ya next year somewhere, sometime!

• 3 weeks later...

I remember that stage.  DB really hammered it.  He blazed through the right array so fast we had to check out the splits.  I was the one familiar with that timer so I was looking for the transitions and splits and could only find splits and then it dawned on me - those .18s are the transitions! Damn!  And I think that he had only one charlie on that right array too.

Yep.

That was cool to watch.

I remember talking to Flex about that stage...I went weak hand on the reach-around and Flex gave me a stern, disapproving look and asked, "you didn't start on the left did you?"

Yeah I did. I don't know why... :(

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

SA

The limited super squad started right and then "fell out of the box" for the inside leftie.

Plus it reduces the chance of leaving steel before you go right.

And, that's a pretty contorted position to come out of if you go left first.

SA

(Edited by Steve Anderson at 11:28 am on Nov. 8, 2002)

Yep...

If you started on the left, you had to get into, and then back out of, postion to shoot that target (left, inside)...and some had to switch hands then switch back.

Starting on the right, you only had to get into postion to hit that (hidden) target.  Plus,  all the targets on the right side were wide-open...easier to draw to, and easier to leave on.

Now, if you started on the right, then went left, you had to switch gears.  The right side was wide open, the left had the hard-cover shots and the poppers with soft-cover in front of their lower halves.  (The switching gears thing bit me...I missed one of the poppers and had transitioned away from it...wasted lots of time making that one up.)

I really liked this stage...simple, but a good shooting test.  The start position...that sucked though.  Don't know how that got past my red pen.

http://www.geocities.com/ohiouspsa/amos5.pdf

That was my thinking too, Jake.

Get the hard stuff done, then go WFO on the easy ones.

I was real proud of my weak hand only shot on the inside lefty, but I had to re-engage a missed steel (after)that cost some time.

I don't know that us prod guys having to reload makes any difference on the proper strategy to employ here.

SA

I don't think the reload made that much of a difference. Even a botched reload wouldn't have cost for most than half a second at most. I think the whole key on that stage was to nail the poppers and get in and out of position quickly. That was a really simple yet challenging stage.

Plus the angles were a little more severe from behind the gun as opposed to the "closed fist walkthrough look-over"

Side note: that match was the first ipsc match my wife and in-laws had ever seen...and they all said the same thing: "you guys do some amazing things with guns, but you look ridiculous walking in a line with yer fake guns in front of you..."

sa

I should have went and now I'm pissed!!!!!!!!

Sounds like that match needed a good range nazi!  You ain't seen grumpy until you've seen me RO AFTER I've shot my typical match performance.

Kevin Dale came in second?  Sheeeeet he couldn't hold my jock strap.  ahh just kidding I've only beaten him once or twice in six years.

I'll be there for the next match.

We almost had a range Nazi episode when Kyle called for a ruling on shooting while falling out of the box...

If you're not OUT of the box, then you have to be IN the box.

Handled professionally by all.

BTW, the Ohio boys will triumph next year. Bet on it, or move to Ohio. :)

SA

episode...lol.  Just a simple rules clarification.  Which was certainly handled by the CRO (with years of Nationals experience) in a most professional manner.

The question was asked and answered before our squad shot...never became any type of issue.  

See this picture of Team Ancient member DBChaffin winning the stage (overall) in the fastest manner...it pays to know the rulebook:

http://www.geocities.com/ohiouspsa/Stage5pics.html

(Edited by Flexmoney at 12:26 pm on Nov. 16, 2002)