Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Improving Accuacy Glock 19?

gnut

With my Glock 19 I can consistantly put 5 shot groops in the head out to 50ft. They spread way out at 75ft. With my 1911 I am doing head shots out to 125ft. So I don't think it is me.

My 19 is totally stock. Are there any up grades to improve its accuracy?

With my Glock 19 I can consistantly put 5 shot groops in the head out to 50ft. They spread way out at 75ft. With my 1911 I am doing head shots out to 125ft. So I don't think it is me.

Yes.

A Ransom Rest.

:)

Jim

...your accuracy is excellent. Especially from a compact semi-auto.

Put some good sights on it if you are still using the stock sights. The stock front sight will completely cover a head at 25 yards. I am using Ameriglo target sights and the frony is .090" wide, it is a HUGE improvement over the stock sights. I don't even take the stock sights off anymore, I rip them out with pliers and throw them away, the stock sights on a Glock are a travesty.

Other than that just spend some time with it, the gun is probably capable of 3" or less at 25 yards.

Ammo plays a big role too. If the .45 ammo you're using is a better match for that gun than the 9mm you're using, it's tough to make a comparison. If you're only trying one 9mm load you might be missing out.

Sounds like you're a good shot, good work.

One...put it back in the case and use the 1911. :lol:

IMHO, your Glock "inaccuracy" is probably due at least 99% to the trigger. It takes a long, hard pull and releases suddenly. I don't know many people (including myself) who have a grip that is so solid that this sudden release characteristic would not cause a bit of gun movement at ignition.

Aftermarket barrels are avaialable but I doubt that your barrel is the problem.

Glocks are not bullseye pistols and I am usually awed and mystified by people who shoot them very accurately at longer distances.

I would say your shooting is pretty good. I can usually hold sub 2" groups at 50' with my G35, but at 75 feet they are more like 5 - 6". I agree with the person who said the wide front sight blade is a major limiting factor.

Edited by bountyhunter

Agreed with putting on better sights. You might also want to put in a 3.5# connector. It will make your trigger release a little smoother. Other than a major trigger work, that would be all that you should need.

Yes.

A Ransom Rest.

:)

Jim

...your accuracy is excellent. Especially from a compact semi-auto.

+1. Maybe new sights if you don't like the old...and that's about it. I'm a big fan of my G19...the best damn carry gun period!

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone has given good advice, the factory sights... suck. The trigger took me a while to get used to, especially after shooting 1911 / 2011 for so long. Tons of dryfire with emphasis on trigger control will go a long way. (A trigger job helps a bit too). One of my friends and I routinely have step back drills on 2 plate racks. So far my limit is 60yds on the 8" plates. That is with stock barrels (I have a G22 and a G17). Ditto on ammo selection. I found that my N320 loads were noticably more accurate than the Clays (in minor). On larger steel targets (Cowboy targets) we were ringing them regularly at 125yds - just aim at the top edge of the plate :). Ironically, I find shooting an 8" plate at distance easier than shooting tiny groups at half the distance??