Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550b Issue: Powder Funnel Stick To Case

elenius

This happened to me occasionally when I loaded 40S&W, but much more so with 45ACP; The handle comes to a stop or jerk on the up-stroke because the powder funnel sticks to the inside of the case. I have to push it relatively hard to get it to let go.

Should I just increase the belling? I doubt that would help, because it's not just the case mouth that sticks, but a fair bit of the case.

This is with Dillon dies BTW. Mixed brass.

Anyone else get the same problem?

This happens from time to time and is reported here on the forums. It's never happened to me though with either of my powder funnels.

Polish the powder funnel where it contacts the case mouth. You may need to periodically redo this, since this part may get scratched up over time.

This happened to me occasionally when I loaded 40S&W, but much more so with 45ACP; The handle comes to a stop or jerk on the up-stroke because the powder funnel sticks to the inside of the case. I have to push it relatively hard to get it to let go.

Should I just increase the belling? I doubt that would help, because it's not just the case mouth that sticks, but a fair bit of the case.

This is with Dillon dies BTW. Mixed brass.

Anyone else get the same problem?

If I'm not mistaken, this issue is addressed in the instructions that came with your reloader. It's a particular problem with new brass. I get it frequently with new .44 magnum brass and occasionally with new .45 brass. I don't think I've ever had a problem with previously fired brass.

The recommended cure is to tumble clean your new brass before reloading.

I'm too lazy to do that, so I've come up with an alternative. I rub the nose of the belling die every few rounds. Apparently, there's just enough oil in the skin of my fingers to lubricate the nose of the die without contaminating the case of the powder.

Lee

I have the problem on my 650 but it is ONLY with NICKEL......I am loading .38 super. I have removed and polished the powder funnel but it still sticks. AGAIN, ONLY WITH THE NICKEL! I just keep it clean and wipe it with a clean cloth with some silicone sprayed on it, helps a little.

I have this problem most often in calibers other than 40 when I forget to turn the tumbler off and get very very clean polished brass.

In 40 I use the U-die and the 9mm funnel. A little One Shot on the brass and life is good, use the 40 funnel and no lube and it really becomes work.

I've only had it happen with one kind of brass (I'm an ex-brass scrounger- now I have almost enough)- A-MERC in .45 ACP.

I think it may have something to do with the "hardness" of the case- this type was hard to resize too.

Now I just toss them when I sort.

About the one-shot cure -- I do use case lube (Dillon's), but this is not supposed to be on the *inside* of the case anyway, right? I assume that's a bad thing, so I usually spray a bunch of the stuff in a plastic box and shake the brass around in it, making sure (more or less) that the lube only goes on the outside of the cases.

I'll try polishing the funnel and keeping it clean.

Thanks all!

Usually this is an issue only with new brass, or brass well-cleaned on the inside. It helps to wipe off the funnel frequently with a green scotchbrite pad to prevent brass buildup on the funnel surface. After firing, the interior of the cases are smoothed out from the high pressure of firing, and the carbon coating acts as a lubricant. :ph34r:

• 2 years later...

Take your thumb of your left hand and place it on the left side of your nose and your pointer finger on the right side of your nose and slide your fingers down the outside of your nostrals. Then rub your powder funnel with said fingers and wa-la problem sloved. Just remember the outside of your nose not the inside. :blink:

Polished the powder funnel with the dremmel, and the problem is gone, doesnt even try to stick...THANKS to all who posted!!!

See... you learn something new everyday! I occasionally had this problem too with .40 brass, but it didn't stick hard enough for me to quit pulling the handle :roflol: ! But now I may try to polish and taper the end a bit and see what happens. Thank goodness I haven't tried to load any of the NEW Starline brass I have or it might have been a problem.

Thanks guys for the answers, and Thank YOU jluther for posting the question!

I found polishing reduces the sticking (and sometimes, eliminates it altogether) but occasionally, it seems to return. I've started using one of the dry, spray-on lubes (wax or teflon types) after buffing the funnel. Makes it seem to go a lot longer between "stickiness" issues. These lubes are available under many brands, just spray on and it dries completely in just a minute leaving a thin, invisible & non-oily coating on the funnel. Does not accumulate and no risk of contamination.