Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Counting To Six Can Be Really Tough

XD Niner

We had a stage yesterday that exceeded my obviously lacking ability to count beyond five. It was a Virginia Count COF with five targets. The first two (T-1 and T-5) were at 10 yards, the next two (T-2 and T-4) at 30 yards and the final target (T-3) was at 55 yards.

All you had to do was put six shots into each with a mandatory reload between each. You started standing (hands relaxed), drew and fires six rounds into T-1, reloaded and from a kneeling position put another six rounds into T-2. Next, reload and go prone before firing six into T-3. Reload again and resume a kneeling position to engage T-4 with six. Finally, reload, stand and finish with six into T-5.

Everything went fine with T-1 and the initial reload but then my brain turned to mush. I dropped into a prone position, realized I had screwed up about half way down and jumped back into a kneeling position. :( Sometime after I started firing and I realized that I had forgotten to count. :angry: I put 7 rounds into that one. After I went prone and realized that the front sight pretty much covered T-3 at 55 yards, I lost count again. Eight round later I finished firing at T-3. After moving into a kneeling position, I then let off 7 at T-4. Finally, my brain re-engaged and I put six into T-5 (all Alphas). I did my best to convince the RO that the extra shots recorded were really just my knees popping as I moved positions but he wouldn’t buy it. All that and I still had three Mikes. :o

My new friend Hugh had no problem with his wheel gun. He only had six per target and couldn’t fire any more. Lucky Duck. ;)

Notes to self: 1. Learn to count to six. This should be a dry fire excercise. <_< 2. Should a similar situation arise in the future, only load the necessary rounds into the reload mags. The worst that could have happened is I would have hit slide lock.

The best aspect of this whole humiliating experience was that the stage was very challenging and fun to shoot. Better yet, it was eventually thrown out by the MD due to “penalty problems.” If there were very many shooters that were as bad as me at counting, there were probably so many folks that zeroed the stage that the computer imploded. :rolleyes:

HA! :lol:

Tell Hugh to bring the wheelgun back next month. My vacation from the revo is over.

It was only for two matches that I shot a skinny gun, guys!

Edited by Nemo

Well after a couple years IDPA and shooting a .40 Hipower exclusivly 10 reload 10 reload, I dusted off my Super Blackhawk for some fun I counted fine to six but dropped the hammer three more times wondering what was wrong with my gun and why wasnt it shooting.

Our local club had this classifier this weekend. I had read the remarks about not being able to count to 5 before the match. I made sure that I counted to 5.

I do remember a long time ago when there was a PPC match for sponsors put on by the local police. My boss told me that since I was the resident shooter that I would be shooting the match. Being a bullseye shooter I had a hard time counting to 6. I reached 5 and wanted to quit. The guy whose gun I was using and who was coaching me kept having to tell me that I had one more shot. Somehow I always managed to get the 6th shot off.

I remember the one time I couldn't count past four, and it was really embarrassing. In all fairness, there were a lot of things going on at the same time. The District Attorney didn't seem to mind though, and it all worked out in the end.

Dave Sinko

• 3 months later...
I get a big kick out of running the classifier "Can You Count?" (CM 0606, I think) at our local matches.

We have a couple of shooters who just cannot seem to count to five. Always good for a laugh :lol:

dj

I shot Can You Count today, apparently I can't count. Did first string alright, shot second and saw that I hit a C and instinctively took a make up shot. Extra shot, Extra hit, -20 penalties, there goes a waste of a 8.47 second run.