Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dont Pick Brass!

ALF

About 15 years ago when I was the proud owner of one the first 38 Supers here in Sweden, did I a one of the worst screw ups ever.

38 Super brass was hard to find and expensive as h-ll when you could find it!

After one of the big matches did I spend some time looking for 38 Super brass and I got a couple of hundreds to take home. I loaded them and testfired a few and everything was A1. The was it time to go to the BIG ONE "Viking Match" in Haugesund Norway almost 700 miles from where I live. The first few stages went well but at one of the biggest stages of the match did it happen! The gun just froze for me , it wouldnt eject the fired case whatever I did so it was a DNF on that stage. What had happened was that I had got a 9X21 case in amongst the 38 Supers it went of alright but it wouldnt eject.I learned that if you pick brass that is not your own be VERY CAREFUL and check not once but twice before you attemp to use it!

That is one of the reasons that I shoot 9X19 Major nowadays NEVER have to pick brass again!!!

My Glock 35 lives on a steady diet of range scrap brass. I use both the Lee U-die and factory crimp die so my rounds always chamber. I have developed a keen eye for separating over-utilized brass, but I realize I may still be living on borrowed time. I load this stuff only to Minor PF and discard them just before they start to look like belted magnums.

Dave Sinko

About 15 years ago when I was the proud owner of one the first 38 Supers here in Sweden, did I a one of the worst screw ups ever.

38 Super brass was hard to find and expensive as h-ll when you could find it!

After one of the big matches did I spend some time looking for 38 Super brass and I got a couple of hundreds to take home. I loaded them and testfired a few and everything was A1. The was it time to go to the BIG ONE "Viking Match" in Haugesund Norway almost 700 miles from where I live. The first few stages went well but at one of the biggest stages of the match did it happen! The gun just froze for me , it wouldnt eject the fired case whatever I did so it was a DNF on that stage. What had happened was that I had got a 9X21 case in amongst the 38 Supers it went of alright but it wouldnt eject.I learned that if you pick brass that is not your own be VERY CAREFUL and check not once but twice before you attemp to use it!

That is one of the reasons that I shoot 9X19 Major nowadays NEVER have to pick brass again!!!

Good point. We don't generally pick up brass around here - it stays where it falls. Speeds up the match and it all goes to the same place as the gravel we keep putting down year after year.

• 2 months later...

I've been picking up brass for a couple years now. Got a bunch of 38 super, 45 and 9mm. Here is the funny part, I haven't started reloading yet. Just got my 550b from Benos but don't have the space cleared out for it yet. I plan to load 45 with it. I don't even own anything that shoots 38 super. But the cost of brass is going to do nothing but go up. I will keep picking it up(checking all of it) as long as I have room to store it.

Shooting 9x19 I assume you are scrounging your 9x19 brass from ranges as well.

It dosent matter what caliber you shoot, you NEED to double check every piece before you load it / or shoot it.

I have a system where I shake my brass into CCI / SPEER plastic trays of 50 each using a Dillon Akrobin and a shaking motion. Almost all the brass falls headstamp down, then I can look into each case mouth, and also look laterally to see that every piece is the same heighth. Makes it easy to spot .380's mixed with 9's or 9x21 mixed with 38 supers.

I really don't like to pick up 38 supers, or 9x19's because of major PF's.

When I shot Open with 38 Super, I sorted the brass by headstamp. This prevented the occasional strange rounds, such as 9x21, and also kept the semi rimmed and rimless separated (Super & Super Comp).

Any brass I pick up goes through my gun in practice before its considered to be used in a match.

For a big match, they also get case gauged and put in a bullet tray to look for high primers and headstamps.

If it is centerfire pistol & on the ground I pick it up so someone else won't have to. I stopped by the police range yesterday & picked up about 25# of 40 brass that various agencies left on the ground. What I am trying to figure out is why there was 223 brass at 7 yards & less but I won't complain because there was almost 200 rounds of Lake City left. I don't own a 40 so I just give it away.

LeRoy, I am trying to think of someone you know who shoots a lot of .40 who would like to have some of that brass. Can I get you something in a multiple of six to help your decision? See you Sunday. Nate

LeRoy, I am trying to think of someone you know who shoots a lot of .40 who would like to have some of that brass. Can I get you something in a multiple of six to help your decision? See you Sunday. Nate

I'll keep you in mind expecially with an offer like that but I am not going to make the match Sunday as I twisted a knee going into a shooting 'box' during practice. I will be there for the special classifier but I think I will use the round gun just for giggles.

Give that knee a chance to recover. The steel match was cold but dry. I managed to slip by Scott again this year but he is going to be a problem. See you soon.

• 2 weeks later...
No one ... that I know of ...........

You sir, are correct.

As both the webmaster and stats "master" for our yearly prize fund, I'm well aware of what everyone shoots. :lol:

We don't normally get more than about 30-35 shooters anyway and the vast majority are production rigs.