Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Novak Guide Rod? Who Sells?

boo radley

What is so special about that guide rod? They all seem to be about the same to me. Heck, I just make my own out of drill rod. Best one I made was out of D2.

I vaguely remember a thread saying the Novak rod was almost as heavy as tungsten, but steel -- cheaper, and hopefully harder. I had some problems with a tungsten rod. <shrug>

I doubt I'll even bother, but did want to get some more information. I don't have the equipment to DIY out of 'drill rod' regardless.

http://www.novakshandgunneroutlet.com/

(724) 539-2774 Hours: Mon., Wed., Fri.: 5:30 pm-9:00 pm Fri.: Noon-5:00 pm

Best way is to call Tom Novak, tell him what you use the gun for [major/minor] and he will make sure you get the right length rod and the right Wolff spring which is included.

I have one of each, Tom's fat stainless rod and CGR's narrower tungsten rod.

The CGR is something like 10 or 15% heavier but shows a lot of wear due to the square profile of the Glock and ISMI flat springs. It fits in the Ti compensator of my Open glock.

The Novak rod shows no wear at all after about 30K rounds & I like it better. I use a 15 lb Wolff - cut down by 2 or 3 coils - for Limited with a G35. It's too fat for the Open gun.

If your interested in guide rods Shootersconnection.com will be carrying some that I had made. There are brass ones, and steel ones that are heat treated and black oxide coated. Ask Chuck for Jager Rods. These are for the G17 / G22 size frames with a diameter of .244 for ISMI or stock springs. If anyone needs the larger Wolff spring diameter rods I have a handfull of each left.

Thanks, Jager

Someone needs to make a full length, full diameter steel GR for the G34 and G35. I make my own, but I do think there is a market for them. I use a 12# Wolf spring so I can use the large diameter rod. Getting ready to make a large diameter full length GR out of plastic for my G34 & G35. Does not add weight but the extra length and diameter work better with the Wolf spring.

Someone needs to make a full length, full diameter steel GR for the G34 and G35. I make my own, but I do think there is a market for them. I use a 12# Wolf spring so I can use the large diameter rod. Getting ready to make a large diameter full length GR out of plastic for my G34 & G35. Does not add weight but the extra length and diameter work better with the Wolf spring.

Hey Joe,

do you mean the extended rods that extend past the frame for weight only? If not the stock guide rods are the same length for the G17, G22, G34, and G35. I have the full stock length large diameter rods in both brass and black oxide coated steel if you're interested.

I ordered the extended stainless rod for IMSI springs from NHO. Jager, you should make up a few of the extended rods. I came close to getting one of yours, but wanted the longer one.

Rik

Jager -- are the Wolff-spring size rods you have "full-length" in that in a G34/35 the rod comes to almost the end of the slide, but does not protrude? (When uncocked). If so, please send me a PM with the price of these. Is there a weight or wear difference between steel and brass?

Thx,

Steve

The rods I have do NOT extend to the end of the slide on the G34 / G35. I think I'll make a few, there's not really a big demand for them but I can get some in the next run. Which diameter, .270 or .244? The .270 is for the wolff springs, and the .244 is for stick or ISMI springs. The brass I would NOT recommend for 9mm major in an open gun.

Jager

Edited by Jager1147