Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Guy

Blue_862

Hello, I am new here and looking forward to learning alot. A little about me, I am 25 years old and am a Law Enforcement Officer in MN. I am thinking about changing my duty weapon to an STI Tactical 4.15 or the 5.0.

I am very interested in USPSA and want to get started(there are three clubs within 90 miles of me). If anyone has any experiance with the STI Tactical line please chime in and let me know what you think. I have been trying to do research on it but I can not find alot of info out there.

For USPSA would there be a disadvantage in going with the shorter 4.15.

(I do not reload yet and and for duty I would have to use all factory ammo)

Going with the 5" is definitely the best way to go for USPSA for a couple of reasons:

1. Sight radius: you'll be more accurate with the larger sight radius

2. If you're going to use factory ammo, you probably won't be able to make major power factor with the shorter bbl. You probably will with the longer 5" bbl. This is very important in scoring.

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the sport.

Edited by al503

I am surprised you are allowed to carry a cocked and locked 1911 on duty. Especially just any old 1911 not an "approved" version. :rolleyes:

4 inch barrel is fine. I shot a few small club matches a couple years ago with my carry 3 inch CDP and 8 rd mags and won high overall. Its the indian not the arrow.

Now what are your goals? Become a National level GM? Then you better get a 5 inch and proper holster rig. Become a good shooter? We have a local cop that got B class with his duty rig including reloading from his FLAP mag pouches and using a "real" gun. If I remember it was a Beretta or Sig. That is an impressive feat to me. He now shoots a semi-racey rig and enjoys competition. I believe he is still also an instructor at his department.

I don't think you will have an issue with power factor if you shoot Lawman/Blazer ammo. Most of that stuff chronos way over 170 in a 5 inch gun. You only need 165 from your 4 inch but what caliber and ammo are you looking at?

Howdy! Just don't make the mistake of showing up with a bunch of boxes of duty ammo at a match. I went to a match a while back where a LEO new to USPSA starts breaking out boxes of Rangers to load mags with :o:mellow: Sadly, he didn't want to make a deal for double the amount of WWB, lol....

WELCOME to this great forum, and to an addiction you're going to love! ;)

Go to a few local matches, and don't be too concerned with what you shoot, or how you shoot. But talk to the guys on your squad, and really listen to what they tell you before you go out and buy new guns / gear. I knowmany shooters (myself included) who have bought things before they knew any better, and then either sold them immediately, or the filled a dresser drawer full of useless holsters, belts, ear muffs, etc.

Shoot what you have for a few months, then make an informed decision. You might even find someone willing to sell you a used gun or holster.

GOOD LUCK B)

Welcome to the forum and USPSA both. Jump in and you'll find you really enjoy both.

You said that you are considering changing your duty weapon. What are you shooting now? It may very well be that you could use it for your fist few matches. This would allow you to develop a better sense of the type and brand of pistol that you want to use on duty and/or in competition. As Chris said, it is better to keep your initial investment as modest as possible until you know for sure what you want to buy.

All you need to do is go to your first match and let them know you are new to USPSA. You'll immediately find a plethora of friendly shooters who will help you through your first matches. They'll also provide you with more advice than you'll likely ever want. :lol:

Edited by XD Niner

I have been thinking for a while about changing my duty weapon, I carry a Glock 22 now. I would like to change to the 1911 platform if I can figure out what it is that I want. I don't think that I will use my issued glock to start USPSA for the reason that if by chance somthing breaks I will have to explain that to the BOSS.

I have owned 2 other 1911 platform guns and I loved them but that was before I got my job and I needed money so they had to go.

I said before that I was thinking about an STI and I would like that but thinking about it that is a big investment and I am open to other gusn as well. I think that I migth stay with the glock for work and get a new gun for FUN.

One question, as I stated before I will be shooting factory ammo, will I have any problems making major in either .40 or .45 with factory ammo?

Factory ammo should make major. Some small local clubs don't chrono and just rely on the honor system (shame people into doing right :P ). Glocks make excellent starting guns for USPSA because of the low relative cost and they are not picky. You can't have fun if your gun won't run. Production class was started to encourage new shooters to come enjoy the sport without entering an equipment race (read $ race). So 9mm Glocks and Springfield XD's do well in this category.....A box of Win White box, Uncle mikes mag holders and holster and some extra mags, and you are ready to do a match. I have STI's and they are great guns (used ones pop up in the classifieds). The cost to get started with one is kinda high. You are better off to go to a few matches and get a feel for what class you want to shoot in before laying out the $$$$ Once you shoot a match you will be hooked!

Edited by chmerr

If you've got a glock 22, a holster that covers the trigger guard, 4 mags and a few boxes of factory ammo, you've got everything you need to play this game (okay you need ear and eye protection, and clothes of course)

Take what you've got to one of you local USPSA Club matches and I'm sure that you will find many shooters who will be willing to answer all the questions you'll have and help you with any issues or shortages that might exist. Almost all USPSA Shooter are great people.

My first match ever attended was a local steel match. I showed up just to watch. At least 6 shooters out of 30 total offered me their backup guns and all of the ammo I needed to shoot the match. Great People in this game.

Welcome aboard!!!

Blue,

Almost any name brand factory ammo should easily make the minimum PF in either .40 or .45ACP. The CCI Blazer and WWB ammo that I've used exceeded the minimum PF by about 10 points in both 9mm and .45ACP.

Your Glock 22 would work very well in Limited 10 (Major) and could also be used for Production where it would be scored Minor. You may want to use it for the first couple of matches but I understand your concern regarding any breakage.

Personally, I have trouble moving between a 1911/2011 and a Glock because of the very different grip angles. However, YMMV. If you do see this as a problem, you may want to invest in another Glock for USPSA until you've had an opportunity to learn more about the other options.

If not, the STI Tactical could be used for Limited 10 or Limited in USPSA as well as duty. However, an Edge or even an Executive might be a better choice if the gun is to be used solely for competition.

I shoot an sti now but used a 34 in production and a 35 in limited before. I made B with those guns. A friend who is on the job brings his duty 22 as a back up and another 22 that we did the trigger in for his main gun. As Chris said, we all have bought guns we ended up changing after shooting matches awhile. Run your duty gun or get a 2nd 22 for use the first yr. or so and see how you want to procede. Welcome to the sport!!

Welcome Blue, check out www.scapsa.com it is probably the best source for shooting in Minnesota. March 3 is the freeze your gizzard blizzard blast. You can check out everything and get more opinions than you want for what type of equipment or division you may want be in. Bring what you got and 4 mags for sure,(these guys like hoser courses) :P and try it out. We would love to see you there.

Thanks for all of the replys. I think that I have chosen to get a single stack 1911 to start with. I do not want to shot the Glock because I just don't care for it. It is not mine it is department issue.

Vulture -- www.scapsa.com did not work. I am guessing that it is the St. Cloud area? I will try to look it up.