Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Length

Dowter

Is there a consensus on how long a trigger should be (for example which length SV Infinity trigger insert).

I always though that since I have very large hands that I should have the longest trigger insert but while practicing my dry firing it came to me that the longer the trigger - the easier it was to push/jerk the trigger to the left (if you're right handed).  The shorter the trigger - the more curled up the finger - the easier to pull the trigger straight back or to the right (which doesn't remotely affect the shot as much as if you pushed it to the left.)

I just put my old trigger bow into my gun and already like the shorter trigger pull while dry firing.  I'm going to order the shortest trigger insert and try that out.

I want to hear what others think of this.

I got to live fire with the new trigger today.  My .18 splits grouping just became 1/3 as small.  It's the trigger, not my concentration.  The shorter trigger makes it soooooo much easier to not shank a shot to the left.

I'm going to experiment with the shortest trigger insert, then maybe get a blank insert and make a shorter one.

I am really really happy with my new discovery. :)

Dowter,

I had the same results.  I had been using a long trigger for years.  When I switched to the short "Enos" type trigger insert, my accuracy improved significantly.  The thing that I have noticed is that my finger hits the trigger in the exact same spot every time.  I guess it is more consistent for me.

Jack

Great Topic!  I have been wanting to start a thread on this subject for awhile now.  I see so many shooters who have problems with a) accuracy B) quick splits c) trigger freeze.  The people who I have helped who have had the biggest problem have the longest triggers.  If you look at the last front sight cover there is a great picture of TJ and his finger and the curve of his finger.  You'll benefit from having a shorter trigger where your not pushing side ways but rather straight back with non of your trigger finger touching the frame.

I have 1911A1 type pistols.

When I hold the pistols, my trigger finger is long enough to rest, slightly bent, on the front side of the trigger guard.

If I place my finger on the trigger so that the trigger is under the "moon" of the fingernail, my finger is bent quite a bit.

I read that the finger should be level on the trigger in order to get the 'straight back' action on the trigger.

For me to have a level finger, I'm pulling with the second bone, approximately half way between the joints. In that position, no other part of my finger touches the frame.

The real problem is that I have a hard time getting the finger placed so that I'm neither pushing or pulling the pistol around when activating the trigger, but getting a nice smooth 'straight back' action.

The question, then, is: Is there a loooong trigger that would allow first bone contact, or should I continue to fight with finger pacement, or learn to shoot using the second bone?

What say you all?

Thanks

Walt

Screwing around with the whole idea I really think there's something to it.

There's a lot more strength in your finger when it's extended that when it's curled-- try pulling on it at various "trigger lengths" with your other hand.

Unless you're ultra-smooth and don't get riled up at all (ala our gracious host, TGO, or a few other gifted/dedicated ones), chances are you mash the trigger just a bit when you pull. Hell, all the greats have probably worked on minimizing the mash even when they're hosing.

My guess is that a shorter trigger "builds in" finesse for us mere mortals and about eliminates it for the demigods of the sport.

Pretty cool observation, Dowter.

Has anyone done the math to figure out exactly how much more pressure is required with a finger inserted into the trigger guard at, say, a 30 degree angle vs the proper 90 degree angle?

A little trigonometry and a force diagram showing the levers oughta do it, but I just don't feel like doing the math right now.