Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The WIIT is coming up over in Rockford in a couple weeks,,,,who's goin?

Match was full when I checked,,,,,got on the list and got lucky, so I'm in.

This will nearly complete the cycle for me,,,,,except revolver, I'll have shot all other divisions there. Going open this year,,,,,,hybrid,,,,,gonna be fun and loud. Hopefully, my knee will hold out......

Any Texas Hold 'em players goin'? Anybody want to play between shooting sessions or in the evening? I'll bring my chipsets and cards,,,,,,,, :D

H4444

P.S. Carmoney,,,,,no smart-a$$ comments from you please. <_<

This will be my third year in a row at the WIIT. Lookin' forward to it. :)

Same here, Ronnie & I will be there.

Lori

Was on your squad last year,,,,,

I haven't shot in a long time, been nursing a bum wheel. Hurtin' or not, couldn't pass up the WIIT.

P.S. Carmoney,,,,,no smart-a$$ comments from you please. <_<

No, h4444, I'm just bummed I'm not going to be able to ride along with you like we sorta planned. The chance to shoot a major match this time of year and relieve you of some money on the same weekend would have been fun.... ;)

Mike, Mike, Mike,,,,I've created a monster. ;-)

I'll still take my chips and cards.....

So, apparently, no settlement, sorry to hear that, but billable hours are a good thing eh?

H4444

Who do I ask to get on the waiting list? I was told it was full as of the time of match opening, and I want to shoot it. Who runs it? It is about 110 miles, so I could even show up to shoot 'stand-by'. Thanks, Howard.

Who do I ask to get on the waiting list? I was told it was full as of the time of match opening, and I want to shoot it. Who runs it? It is about 110 miles, so I could even show up to shoot 'stand-by'. Thanks, Howard.

Howard,

You shot all day with him, I am pretty sure Dan V. is the man to talk to.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank Gawd we're indoors. Going down to -5 tonight with a wind chill of -25!!! The gangs all here, and Manny and Puente are the early favorites. Petros didn't show...work got in the way. <_< Match is going well...looking forward to the "Whack-A-Mole" stage tommorrow. Stage uses sensors and a random generator circuit, whack the mole with the mallet, and a random 5 targets pop up, whack him again, and a different random 5 appear!!! (some you may have shot, some you may have not!!!) :blink: Gonna be interesting!!! B)

Edited by Barrettone

Thank Gawd we're indoors. Going down to -5 tonight with a wind chill of -25!!! The gangs all here, and Manny and Puente are the early favorites. Petros didn't show...work got in the way. <_< Match is going well...looking forward to the "Whack-A-Mole" stage tommorrow. Stage uses sensors and a random generator circuit, whack the mole with the mallet, and a random 5 targets pop up, whack him again, and a different random 5 appear!!! (some you may have shot, some you may have not!!!) :blink: Gonna be interesting!!! B)

Whack a mole was fun,,,,,and I'm not complaining about it, but I don't care,,,,there is no way that was "fair" for all shooters and I'll illustrate with my run.

For instance, I had the perfect scenario occur for myself. I turned, drew, and took down the first 3 targets on the left side (OK,,,,,in theory, in reality, I screwed the pooch with a couple mikes). But anyway, I took out the left 3 then the no-shoots covered all the targets.

Up to this point,,,,,everything is fair. Here's where the stage goes ary and offerred me an advantage I didn't capitalize on.....

Then going left to right, the targets activated in perfect order, resulting in a 10.3ish run.

Now, you can't tell me that would be fair if/when other shooters take out those 3 targets and instead of the 3 on the right exposing,,,,the ones already shot were exposed first,,,,,,then you have to wait till your 3 targets get exposed,,,,,

That is totally out of the shooters control and randomly gives significant advantages to shooters.

Random,,,,,,doesn't necassarily equal fair.

This was probably my favorite WIIT overall even though it is the one I probably performed the worst at, the folks there do a great job.

I didn't say a single word about Whack a Mole,,,,,if I could hit a bull in the ass with a bass fiddle, I'd have figuratively burned down the stage. It played to my advantage. But in theory, I could have beaten far better shooters, just because the targets exposed themselves in the perfect order for me.

If I beat someone, I want it to be because I did something better, not because the stage equipment (totally out of my control) gave me an insurmountable advantage out of shear dumb luck.

On my run,,,,of 10.3 seconds,,,,,what If I was left handed and turned the other way and shot the right targets first,,,,,then after all the no-shoots concealed the targets,,,,,the ones already engaged were being exposed before the ones left to shot. That isn't fair as the left handed shooter wouldn't have had any conceivable opportunity to complete that stage in 10.3 seconds.

Again,,,,not a gripe, just stating what I observed from my own run,,,,it was a cool stage,,,,kudo's to whoever put in the time and effort to "breadboard" that circuit and make everything work,,,,that had to be a hell of an undertaking (year plus studying digital electronics,,,,I've been around a "breadboard or 0010" for those familiar with binary).

H4444

Whack a mole was fun,,,,,and I'm not complaining about it, but I don't care,,,,there is no way that was "fair" for all shooters and I'll illustrate with my run.

For instance, I had the perfect scenario occur for myself. I turned, drew, and took down the first 3 targets on the left side (OK,,,,,in theory, in reality, I screwed the pooch with a couple mikes). But anyway, I took out the left 3 then the no-shoots covered all the targets.

Up to this point,,,,,everything is fair. Here's where the stage goes ary and offerred me an advantage I didn't capitalize on.....

Then going left to right, the targets activated in perfect order, resulting in a 10.3ish run.

Now, you can't tell me that would be fair if/when other shooters take out those 3 targets and instead of the 3 on the right exposing,,,,the ones already shot were exposed first,,,,,,then you have to wait till your 3 targets get exposed,,,,,

That is totally out of the shooters control and randomly gives significant advantages to shooters.

This was probably my favorite WIIT overall even though it is the one I probably performed the worst at, the folks there do a great job.

I didn't say a single word about Whack a Mole,,,,,if I could hit a bull in the ass with a bass fiddle, I'd have figuratively burned down the stage. It played to my advantage. But in theory, I could have beaten far better shooters, just because the targets exposed themselves in the perfect order for me.

If I beat someone, I want it to be because I did something better, not because the stage equipment (totally out of my control) gave me an insurmountable advantage out of shear dumb luck.

On my run,,,,of 10.3 seconds,,,,,what If I was left handed and turned the other way and shot the right targets first,,,,,then after all the no-shoots concealed the targets,,,,,the ones already engaged were being exposed before the ones left to shot. That isn't fair as the left handed shooter wouldn't have had any conceivable opportunity to complete that stage in 10.3 seconds.

Again,,,,not a gripe, just stating what I observed from my own run,,,,it was a cool stage,,,,kudo's to whoever put in the time and effort to "breadboard" that circuit and make everything work,,,,that had to be a hell of an undertaking (year plus studying digital electronics,,,,I've been around a "breadboard or 0010" for those familiar with binary).

H4444

I couldn't agree with you more...It was a "carnival stage" that was far more luck-driven than based on the shooters skill. I came in 7th in Open due to an 11.something second run with only one mike, that placed me waaaaaaay higher than my actual skill level would indicate. It was a level 1 match, so they hung their hat on the it "doesn't need to strictly comply with the freestyle requirement" (a bit of a stretch IMO). The people at the WIIT are some of the hardest working and nicest people you will ever meet. They always have one "controversial" stage at the match (last year was a bike with targets that appeared as you pedaled...it was a bit more about how fast you could pedal than shooting, but was very fun). This years "Whack-A-Mole" was somewhat similar, except that it was a bit more out of the shooters control. Bottom line is, that it was a good match, that allowed us all to get together at a time when we otherwise would not have been able to shoot due to the low temps. I don't think I could have shot in -10 back here in Michigan, so I'll take it!!! Thanks to all who made the match a success, and to all those who came to shoot. It was great to see everybody, and I look forward to seeing you in the spring! B)

Edited by Barrettone

didnt shoot my best match but - - - hey i had fun

a big thanx to all the hard working R.O.s and staff - GREAT MATCH as always!

the WIIT always comes up with a gimmick stage , one of the best was few years back

called Get Out Of Town were the R.O. drove a cart up range while the shooter sitting on back of cart facing down range , on signal the cart took off and the shooter had to engage targets past vision barriers while on the move

that stage 2 with the close up poppers , swingers , and tip outs was good stage , many ways to shoot it

im not mentioning whack a mole , :wacko:

H4444

I couldn't agree with you more...It was a "carnival stage" that was far more luck-driven than based on the shooters skill. I came in 7th in Open due to an 11.something second run with only one mike, that placed me waaaaaaay higher than my actual skill level would indicate. It was a level 1 match, so they hung their hat on the it "doesn't need to strictly comply with the freestyle requirement" (a bit of a stretch IMO). The people at the WIIT are some of the hardest working and nicest people you will ever meet. They always have one "controversial" stage at the match (last year was a bike with targets that appeared as you pedaled...it was a bit more about how fast you could pedal than shooting, but was very fun). This years "Whack-A-Mole" was somewhat similar, except that it was a bit more out of the shooters control. Bottom line is, that it was a good match, that allowed us all to get together at a time when we otherwise would not have been able to shoot due to the low temps. I don't think I could have shot in -10 back here in Michigan, so I'll take it!!! Thanks to all who made the match a success, and to all those who came to shoot. It was great to see everybody, and I look forward to seeing you in the spring! B)

I agree,,,,mucho work went into it and way cool.....always cool stuff there and I always appreciate the effort and mark my calendar. From Feb 06 to Feb 07 I had a major decrease in match attendance,,,,,5 matches,,,,,2 of them WIITS, and I'll be back next year.

There is an easy/fair solution so that it could be reused......in my opinion anytime/anywhere. Finish with all the no-shoots up and make it a par time stage,,,,,,"go get as many points as you can".

Hey,,,don't forget the bucking barrel of a couple years ago,,,,that was fun for a fat guy like me to try to reload on while bouncing up and down trying to shoot at US poppers WAY downrange,,,,I'd have been better throwing my glock than shooting........of course that would have meant some nice hard working RO would have to call Perry and ask me to pack up and leave....... :lol:

I hear what you guys are saying about there always being one "Gimic" stage. Does seem to be that way. keep in mind that Dan V. is ALWAYS looking for good WIIT stages. You haven't deigned a stage, until you try to design a good WITT stage.

Limitations include: indoors so size and angles limited, needs to be fast set up and tear down, needs to run smooth and fast.

I hope to make it for next year, simce I have missed the last two.