Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cingular Business Service

EricW

Dateline Saturday...

Eric, in his haste, thoughtlessly throws ski pants into the washing machine. 45 minutes later, both Eric's cell phone and car door remote have that fresh spring smell. :wacko:

(The remote could not be brought back from the dead. I'm not too choked up about it because it was on its last legs anyway...)

So, Sunday I called Cingular's business service center. It was actually the old AT&T which was absorbed by Cingular about a year ago or so. My last interaction with Cingular was a nightmare from hell, btw, and I ended up literally BEGGING Cingular to let me go back the AT&T division so that I would have a phone that actually worked.

"I'd like to see about ordering a new phone."

"Is there anything wrong with your current phone?"

"Well...it sort of got run through the washing machine."

"Uh oh..."

"Yeah, uh oh is right."

"What kind of phone are you thinking about?"

"Well I was looking at one of those Motorola Razr thingies."

"OK. I'll send you out a phone it will be there in two to three days."

"How much?"

"Free."

"Free?"

"Yes, and I'm waiving shipping and activation fees."

"So, I don't have to pay anything for washing my phone?"

"Nope."

"Well...while I have you on the phone could I buy a card cord for the phone."

"I don't have a car cord to sell you, so I'm going to give you a $25 credit that you can use at the Cingular store to buy one."

My phone arrived today, exactly as promised. It's brand new, not a refurb. I bought a car cord online for $15 delivered, so I've got $10 in my pocket to boot. I'm not sure how retail customers get treated, but DAAYYUM! I've got zero complaints about this type of treatment. I even got to keep all my extra minutes (I negotitated for about 400 extra minutes last time).

No arguments. No muss. No fuss. I think this was the fastest, most painless intereraction I've ever had with a wireless carrier and that's saying something because AT&T's business division was pretty doggone good.

B)

Edited by EricW

Did they hire Mike Dillon as a business consultant?

No. AT&T Corp just recently acquired, or merged with SBC (South Bell something, Cingular's parent co.). Thus, what was AT&T Wireless then turned into Cingular, which before was Cellular One, is again AT&T.

Eric got the old AT&T treatment from a Cingular employee that fears for his/her job.

Capisci?

;)

Did you get the # for that rep? Cingular's phone support has been singularly unimpressive to me..

Like I said, I'm glad that I get my service through the *business* division. It's a separate entity from the consumer division. ;)

Did they hire Mike Dillon as a business consultant?

No. AT&T Corp just recently acquired, or merged with SBC (South Bell something, Cingular's parent co.). Thus, what was AT&T Wireless then turned into Cingular, which before was Cellular One, is again AT&T.

Eric got the old AT&T treatment from a Cingular employee that fears for his/her job.

Capisci?

;)

Close.

AT&T did not acquire SBC.

A few years ago SBC bought AT&T wireless.

Cingular was 40% Bellsouth, 60% SBC

Last year SBC bought AT&T and decided to use there name

A few days ago AT&T(SBC) bought out Bell south.

(SBC used to be called Southwestern Bell)

Close.

AT&T did not acquire SBC.

A few years ago SBC bought AT&T wireless.

Cingular was 40% Bellsouth, 60% SBC

Last year SBC bought AT&T and decided to use there name

A few days ago AT&T(SBC) bought out Bell south.

(SBC used to be called Southwestern Bell)

Thanks.

I just want CellularOne back!

;)