Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First ever round of Sporting Clays

TommyC

I had the day off today, so I took my new shotgun and some borrowed choke tubes and shot my first ever round of Sporting Clays.  I got lucky in that one of the guys that works at the range is an AA Class shooter and shot the round with me giving advice/critique along the way.  My score?  66.  Not bad I guess.  I think it would have been Much lower had I shot it without his help!  His score?  94!!  I was impressed but he was actually a little dissapointed!  I think it helps that he designed the course and has shot it literally hundreds of times!!  It is a very addictive sport!  If it weren't so expensive, I could see me getting seriously involved in it!  Guess I will need a shotshell reloading setup now!  :)

That's an excellent first time score. You will be in the 80's in no time with enough practice.

Sounds like the other "fella" is shooting the same course too often or he needs to change the course if a 94 is disappointing.

Good luck

Irishlad, He designed the course, runs the proshop, and shoots it several times a week!  He is Very good, though.  He shoots AA Class.  I would have shot a substantially lower score, I believe, if I had done it without his help!

Brian, First I need to buy an XL 650, Then I'll think about an SL 900!  :)  I will definitly buy both through your sight, too!

TommyC-

If you enjoyed Sporting, you have to try FITASC.  The targets are generally more difficult and very challenging. Best shotgun game I have ever shot.  That said, if you need to bust every target...you may not want to shoot FITASC.  It can be a humbling game for new and experienced shooter alike.

Good luck in your shooting.

Nick-

Nick i would be interested in your take on gear.

FITASC (well a variation of it anyways) is mostly what we shoot here.

I normally use IC, LM, and M for no other reason than they give me the warm and fuzzies but have been known to chuck in a SK and IC if required on the close courses.

Normally i would use 7,s @ 32 gram crackers

Alot of times i have watched people i know to be very good shooters fall apart on a course. and have no idea where or why. A great sport!!!!!!!

cheers CW.

(Edited by CLW at 8:14 pm on Jan. 11, 2003)

CLW-

FITASC is the best shotgun game there is, IMHO.  Regarding my thoughts on gear.  I approach FITASC the same as sporting.  That is I don't use a different gun, loads or chokes for FITASC than I do for sporting.

I settled on the gear I use through trial and error (and a lot of $$).   I can tell you confidence in your gear/equipment is critical.  Confidence in your gear often translates to confidence in yourself.  If you step into the box and you are second guessing your equipment, your all done.  You have to use what you have confidence in and not what I, the guy who won the Nationals this year, or your buddy uses.  It is a individual thing.

For example, I shoot a Krieghoff K-80 w/32" bbls.  I love this gun.  It feels good in my hands and I get that warm fuzzy feeling when I'm shooting it.  Other people pick it up and say it's nose heavy, or it weighs a ton, or it doesn't break birds any better than their Browning.  Well guess what, I like it and that is what matters.  If your Browning 425 or Beretta AL391 or Perazzi do it for you, that is what you should shoot.  

Regarding chokes and loads.  I've run the spectrum here also.  I've owned just about every choke on the market and the Rhino ported chokes are what I've settled on.  When I practice, I put in a pair of LM Rhino chokes.  In competition, I use Cyl. .000, LM .015, IM .025 (Be sure to measure your inside barrel diameter before ordering chokes.  This is the only way to make sure your ordering the right constriction).  I've patterned and shot these chokes at targets and I like the way they break targets with the loads I shoot.  Basically I use an open choke for close targets or targets showing belly, LM for most targets in the 25-40 yrd range and IM for longer targets or targets showing only dome or are on edge at 40 yrds plus.  Close, medium and far.  It simplifies things for me.  

I shoot 1oz. 8's and 7.5's.  I prefer faster loads (my favorite shell is the B&P F2).  They chrono out of my gun at about 1280 and are very consistent.  They also pattern better then any load I have tested.  However recently, I developed a shoulder problem (unrelated to shooting) and have had to back down to a 7/8 and 1oz loads at 1200fps.  I'm currently shooting Fiocchi shells.  They pattern very well and are really clean burning (I hate dirty powder).  

I've found that if I put the gun in the right place, a quality 1oz. load will do everything a 11/8oz load will do.  I've tried 11/4oz and I hate the recoil.  I don't think the recoil is worth the extra pellets.  Especially when I will shoot 800 rnds in the course of a big tournament.  I believe the heavy recoil can take a toll on the body over a big tournament.  I find I can keep my focus much better shooting softer shells.    

Again, this works for me and is what I'm confident with.  The next guy may like to have every shot size, every choke, and a different gun for each game he shoots.  If that works for him, great.  Have at it.  As long as we are all having a good time and crushing targets, life is good.

Take care,

Nick-

Nick

I agree completely with your statements about confidence and gear.   I also like your choice of gear.

I too, shoot F2 B&P, 7 1/2's at everything.  K-80 is a great gun and rhino makes precision chokes.

I think fit and feel are paramount with shotguns and I shoot an older 682 Beretta, also 32" bbls withX2Briley chokes.  I still shoot this one because I had it fit to me 7 yrs ago by John Reven here in Houston, and it shoots where I look.  That is all you can ask .  I look at each Parcour B4 making the choke decision.  If you ever get to Houston, give me a holler and let's get together.

Tightloop,

I've been considering the Briley World Open, which I believe is held in Houston.  I generally shoot the Caribbean Cup in FL in Feb/Mar., (Great tournament by the way), so I can't make the Briley in the spring.  It would have to be one or the other for me.  I'm in MA and FL is a nice place to go and get away from the snow that time of year.  I shot yesterday in 20 deg. weather.  COLD.....

Are you going to the World FITASC in July?  This will be my 1st world tournament.  Looking forward to it.

Those B&P F2's really crush targets don't they?  7.5's for everyting?  I've been considering that.  One less thing to think about.  If you talk to Mike Dotson at B&P, tell him I said hi.  He is a good guy.

Shoot well,

Nick-

No, I can't go the the FITASC World shoot, personal dificulties with my ex and illness.  

Yes the F2's really are some kind of shell.  I can tell you they will fold a dove at 50+ yds if you have the lead right.  we bought a boat load of B&P last year from Mike, great guy.  I will most likely shoot in the Briley shoot here in town.  Let me know if you come down for it.

David