Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

stage names

ErikW

You know what a lot of stages lack? A good, fun name. Try a simple pun or play on words. Work elements of shooting into well-known phrases. Punning "hose" is always a sure bet. Borrowing from movies used to be popular; I also borrow from books. An intimidating name that instills fear in shooters can be fun too. Here are some stages I've made over the years...

Fast, Cheap, and Out of Control

Fear and Hosing in Richmond

The Four Hosermen of the Apocalypse

Fuel for Self-Immolation

A Harsh Dose of Reality

Hell Camino

Ho-Ho-Hoser

Hose 'Em, Dano!

Hoseymandias

How the Grinch Stole Hi-caps

How Would Jesus Shoot It?

Shotguns Kick Ass

The Spanish Acquisition

I don't think I'll ever top The Four Hosermen.

Speaking of that, I have a stage for a match Sunday where you start seated on a toilet (not my idea, they put it in my stage).  Anyway, the gun will be on a table a short distance in front.  Anyone want to help with a name?  Need one by tomorrow (Saturday) night.  Here are some I have so far.  Any other ideas?

Throne into Action

Pot 'o Trouble

Caught with Your Pants Down

Flush 'em Out

Bowl Full of Trouble

Wipe 'em Clean

Wipe and Hose

Flush and Hose

Toilet Trouble

Thanks for the help.

(Edited by DBChaffin at 12:29 pm on Dec. 7, 2001)

Yeah, I like the first one too.  As of right now it is in the lead.  I too fail to see the fascination, and as I stated it wasn't there when I designed the stage.  I had it as a hands by your sides, engage 'em as they become visible stage.   Now it is a "seated on the throne", gun on table pointed downrange with round in pipe but mag laying on table.  Retrieve gun, load any way you want (mag off table or belt, doesn't matter) and engage 'em as they become visible.  I don't mind unique starting positions, but I thought that was unnecessary, especially in my stage for which I will take the credit/criticism.  I appreciate the vote though.

Sheesh, who's the designer of the stage anyway? I have to put up with "safety" changes but I won't put up with other changes.

I can see them changing your stage to make it 8-round neutral or something, but putting in that start position and gun ready condition is B.S.

A popular stage in IDPA is called "Rest Stop Rendevous." It simulates a defensive encounter starting from a "throne." for best effect it should be shot at night. It can be seen here: http://www.sportshooter.com/cof_library/cofs/rest.htm

A shotgun stage introduced at our club by a local Sheriff's Deputy is called the "Whining wall." Its an 8 foot long barricade you must go prone to shoot under and tiptoe to shoot over. It has shooting positions numbered on the wall like this:

6                              3

4                                                 1

2                              5

1 and 4 are kneeling, 3 and 6 are tiptoe over the wall and 2 and 5 are prone. These shots are fired at poppers set hard. Then you move off to the right to a postion of cover to fire some slugs on paper. The name is really well deserved. By the way this COF is the local Sheriff's shotgun qualifier.

Keith

I agree with Erik about putting some humor in stage designs.  Lord knows our club could use a sense of humor.  I've built a stage where the shooter started with a Tootsie Roll Pop in their mouth.  Yes, it was after Halloween and I had one for everybody.  But you should have seen the look on their faces during the walk through when I said we would all be sharing one Lollipop!  I named that one "Suck my Lollipop"

I've named stages:

Balls to the Wall

Yank my Chain

Absolutely Fabulous

But I think the best one was:

Erik made me do it

Nolan