Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

This one really sucked!

A course this weekend required you to shoot 3 targets that were stacked sideways - from around a barricade or through soft cover.  Sounds okay on the outset, but the soft cover was a pallet (um - that's not soft!) with orange snow netting stapled to it - you could NOT see the targets outlines through it.

Only real option was around the barricade/pallet that had a barrel in front of it - it was a good 3 feet around this thing to see the targets.  David, at 6'5" had to hang onto the barricade to shoot this...  Me, at 5'2" almost, could do nothing but throw lead down range.

I hated this - why would someone make it impossible to engage targets?  And 3 of them no less... talk about a bad stage!

The same course designer also made a stage with a barricade that my bullets lowered for him ;-0  My fault on that one, I could have moved out of the box, but didn't want to since I had to go prone next and if I moved up to the barricade I would have had to back up quite a bit to flop to the ground.  On this same stage, he put in a "bonus target" that if you hit, lowered your time by 3 secs...  weird shit, man!

If we can protest a stage with a too-high port (or demand a booster aid), can't we protest one like that? Whether you could shoot it really depended on the length of your arms and legs.

Oh yeah, the stage designer is at least 6'2" isn't he?

The problem we have is trying to restrain the unbridled and often misguided creativity of an inexperienced Match Director without dampening his desire to ever direct a match again.  

Most new match directors are overly creative and I was certainly guilty of that.  Many problems are avoided when more experienced shooters proof stages for the new MD. However, you will sometimes reach a point where the experieced shooters need to live with a few problems at club matches in order to show the new MD's how things could have been improved, after the fact, when the folly of their stage ideas are clear to all.

Feedback is always welcome.

David,

I agree wholeheartedly that letting a new MD learn the "hard way" is an excellent choice - but ONLY for issues like putting the 2 longest stages on one bay... and how to get the crowd moving quicker, and the right mix of stages to help a match flow...

Safety issues and "usability" of a course reflects on the club however, and should be addressed by the club officials when brought to their attention.

And of course, inquiring minds wanna know - do you think that newbie MD learned his lesson at this match?

We have lots of inexperienced folks designing courses of fire for our fledgling little club. I make an effort to arrive early to help set up at all three clubs where I shoot. Of course my real agenda is to dope the courses out. Still, if problems exist I bring them to the attention of the match director along with a solution before the first round is ever fired.

At 6'3" I make a concerted effort to be sure the shorter shooters are not put to a disadvantage. But I need to tell you guys that I really get tired of shooting courses of fire that are designed by midgets, it makes my back hurt and I get tired of squatting and crawling around like a snake. ;-)

Ron you are so right.  I am 6'2" 230# and have had it with having to squat to shoot through barrels or duck walk through tunnels while the less vertically oriented can, at times, do these things standing up!  

I am not endorsing a course design that is impossible for a shooter of any stature but it would be nice to have stages that even the field a little bit and give the taller shooters a break.

• 2 weeks later...

I shot a stage at the 1999 area 8 that had you shooting barrels so low they had to offer you a chance to take only one penalty for shooting over the barrels.  I chose to squat and wound up tearing some of the cartilage that was left in my so called bad knee.  There was no reason for this as every year the average IPSC shooter gets older and older.  I was only 29yrs old at the time and still got hurt.

• 3 months later...

Being about 6'2-3 i am inclined to say short people rule the world.

i think you need a few people to shoot every stage before the match. if possible.. or just walk on your knees if yoru real tall. kids are even better. lol. they can help and pick up brass :-)

As a person of 5'8", I suppose I am a lot below average for my weight. I have stuffed knees, thanks to gravity and motorcycles.

I have trouble with low ports. Its not the getting down, but the getting up that kills me. As long as the low ones are near the end I am sweet.