Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FGN Stage 16

In looking at the stage diagrams for the FGNs, stage 16, the A Zone Standards looks tough.  Anyone care to predict what score will win the stage in each division - Lim-10, production, and revolver?

Wow Shooter Grrl, that's a pretty high expectation for  the revolver shooters on those strings with a mandatory reload.  I think the stage will also be plenty tough for the production guys being scored minor, with holsters and magazines behind the centerline of the body.  Getting the shots off is challenge enough for me, but doing so with good hits and nothing in the hard cover will be a stretch.  IMO, any score even pushing or in the low triple digits from the revolver and production guys would be an awesome performance.    

I wonder how many practice those skills at those distances on a regular basis. Somebody who knows how should post the stage in here...I would If I knew how.

I can do a link. That's advanced for me...

http://uspsa.org/results/2002/US_Factory_G...e_Standards.pdf

(Edited by Steve Anderson at 2:09 pm on July 10, 2002)

(Edited by Steve Anderson at 2:18 pm on July 10, 2002)

The only reason I included Revolver is MICULEK :-)

TGO can definitely do it L10 or Production, as can Strader, Jerry, Todd and Sevigny now too.  Then there's Racaza and Voigt and Burkett - anyone of them could be able to do it.

5 seconds sure seems like enough time to me...  I couldn't do it, but I've seen all the top dogs shoot, and I'm convinced this stage is a "non concern" for them.

Miculek shot 105 pts on last years 5 sec standards.  There were 2 strings with mandatory reloads.

My guesses:

L10 - 108 - 116 pts

Rev - 100 - 110 pts

Prod - 95-105 pts

Just don't ask how many pts I'll get.  Let's just say it will be painful. ;)

Storm, even though I shot last years 5 second standards at the Limited Nats I had completely forgotten about that stage.  What a memory!  The stage design is similar comparing this year to last.  Winning scores last year were Limited - 112, Lim-10 - 87, Production - 86, and Revolver - 105.  The primary difference in design seems to be, this year, distances are generally closer, but each target is partially obscured with hard cover, where last year the full scoring area on each target was available.  That 105 score in revolver was awesome last year.  I don't think Lim-10 and Production scores last year are indicative of what the winning scores in those divisions will be this year.  Having last year's scores as a barometer, I agree triple digits will be needed to win the stage in each division.  I will predict that 85 to 90% of the possible 120 points available will win the stage in each division, with the production division winner having the lower score.

I agree. Last year's scores are not indicative of what will happen with L10 & Production. I think the L10 scores will be very similar to last year's Limited scores.

I do think the high production score will be about 10 points lower than the high L10 score. That's simply because each C is -2 pts. If you think about it, Phil would have only shot 104pts (vs. 112) if he was shooting minor. I really don't think the GM's will shoot many more A's because they're shooting minor. After all, it is a 5 second standards.

Anybody know if Todd is shooting Production or L10?  I noticed he shot Production at the Summer Blast & the Mid-Atlantic Sectional.

• 3 weeks later...

Well now we know that in reality the stage in L10 was won by Rod Leatham with 103 points, Travis Tomasie in 2nd with 101. In Production Todd Jarrett was in 1st with 86 points (of course Todd was also trying to speedload a Para without a mag funnel and shooting Minor besides) with David Sevigny in 2nd with 70 points. Don't remember about Revolver but I know it was Jerry Miculek with a score lower than the L10/Production winners.

Actually, the L10 numbers look good but the production figures are a bit off.  Todd Jarett won productions with 89 points and David Olhasso was second with 84.  Miculek indeed won revolver with 86 points.  

Geez it was hot when I shot this one. No shade on that range. Sweat in eyes, sweat on glasses, sweat on hands. My brain was fried... if they had not summarized the procedure before each string I would have zeroed the stage.

I got all my shots in at just the right pace. My left target had the worst hits and my middle target had the best hits, all As or close Cs, IIRC, a distinctive group compared to the first target. (FYI, each time I drew to the left one, and reloaded to the left one.) I noticed similar patterns with other shooters.

Mike Voigt berated me for shooting the weak-hand string left to right and said you should shoot weak-handed strong side first moving to weak side targets.

Right.  I'm not saying he's necessarily wrong either, but I've always been told the above method and it does seem to feel better and have a logical reason behind it.  I would love to hear some theory about why he does it that way though.  

OK, I'm not Michael Voigt nor have I had any instruction from him.

But, I think the theory is to "pull" the gun when shooting one-handed, rather than pushing it. This would mean starting on the weak side when shooting strong hand only and starting on the strong side when shooting weak hand only. I think you tend to tense your forearm more when "pushing". The pull is more relaxed. Maybe that's his reasoning.