Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vv 320 And 147g

johes

Mixing N320 and MG 147g has given me the most consistent velocity out of my G34 than any other powder/bullet combo I've tried:

MG 147g CMG

3.5g N320

Oal: 1.158"

Win SPP

131 PF

What do you use for a recoil spring for those loads? I made PF at 3.4 and 3.5gr as well but the gun didn't cycle reliably with 3.4g at all and when I tested 3.5g I had one glitch so I've used 3.6g and have never had an issue. I was using a 13lb ISMI.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mixing N320 and MG 147g has given me the most consistent velocity out of my G34 than any other powder/bullet combo I've tried:

MG 147g CMG

3.5g N320

Oal: 1.158"

Win SPP

131 PF

What do you use for a recoil spring for those loads? I made PF at 3.4 and 3.5gr as well but the gun didn't cycle reliably with 3.4g at all and when I tested 3.5g I had one glitch so I've used 3.6g and have never had an issue. I was using a 13lb ISMI.

I use a 12 lbs wolff recoil spring. I have to change it out every 3 months or so. However, I seem to get less perceived recoil when I use it and the front sight seems to be flatter. I ran a side by side comparison with the 13 lbs ISMI flatwire and the wolff gave me noticeably better performance so I pay the extra $$$ for springs.

I use a 12 lbs wolff recoil spring. I have to change it out every 3 months or so. However, I seem to get less perceived recoil when I use it and the front sight seems to be flatter. I ran a side by side comparison with the 13 lbs ISMI flatwire and the wolff gave me noticeably better performance so I pay the extra $$$ for springs.

Ahh that's good to know. I now have the Wolff GR with the 12lb spring and it's been working good with my 3.6gr loads as well. I just checked my chrono data and even 3.4gr made 131-133pf- I'd be curious as to how those loads would work with the 12lb spring.

Dumb question, but how OAL is connected with PF?

We tested 3,2gr VV N320 with 147 plastic coated bullets load and it gave about 131 PF to us from Glock 17!? CED Millenium chronograph.

The previous answers were close, but not quite correct.

It's not really OAL, but the amount of case capacity being used that has an influence on pressure, which changes velocity, which changes PF.

All other things being equal, if you use more of the case capacity by seating the bullet deeper, it will increase the pressure, velocity and PF. If you use less of the case capacity by seating the bullet shallower, it will lower the pressure, velocity and PF.

****ONE HUGE NOTE******

Don't attempt to lower or raise the pressure by changing the OAL. It's inconsistent, unreliable and can be dangerous. Some powders react in a linear fashion to changes in seating depth, and some don't. Those that don't can go from being fine, to being considerably over the limit with a very small change in seating depth. Obviously, the dangerous part normally only applies to seating the bullet deeper than the load data shows. Trying to lower the pressures by seating the bullet shallower has the same impact as using less powder....so use less powder; you'll save money and get to the same end state.

Pick the OAL based upon the reloading data you are using, the gun's magazine, and what the gun runs reliably with. R,

• 2 weeks later...

As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, I couldn't figure out why I was getting such inconsistent powder drops until I realized I had the universal insert in the measure rather than the pistol insert. With the pistol insert the drops got MUCH better....right where they should be.

I went back out today and ran some more over the chrono (all with M&P Pro). One string of 20 rounds, 3.7gr of N320, Montana Gold 147 CMJ, Win SP at 1.125" in a Starline case = Avg 924.6fps, ES 17.43, SD 4.89, PF 135.9.

One string of 20 rounds, 3.7gr of N320, Precision Delta 147gr FMJ TC, Win SP at 1.125" in a Starline case = Avg 935.3fps, ES 43.69, SD 12.48, PF of 137.4.

The PD's vary more in weight than the MGs (which are rarely off by more than .1gr) and I'm getting more variation in OAL with the PD's as well. The MGs rarely vary OAL more than a thousandth or two. The PD will go up to five thousandths +/- (this is with a Redding Competition Seating Die and once-fired cases). I think that's why the ES and SD are higher with the PD loads, but it was really only three or four shots that were noticably higher in this string.

Still, I think 3.7gr is where it's at for my gun....now on to accuracy testing. The MG's have been noticably better so far, but I'll see what happens this time. R,

I'm still running a 13lb ISMI with the SSS guide rod.

Right now I've got about 18lbs of N320, so I should be set for a while. I've also got about 6-8lbs of Solo 1000, which seemed to work well. I probably won't bother buying anything new for a while.

I also forgot to mention in my last post that after the first string I went to set the gun down on the plastic barrel, fumbled it (gloves) and it fell into 8" of fresh powdery snow...ugh. Shook it off, snapped the slide back a couple of times, checked down the bore and back to shooting!

Okay, just got back from the Shelton Rifle & Pistol Club's indoor range, and testing out my 147-grain/N320 loads.

I just have to brag on this a little....seems with the proper setup in my powder measure I'm getting far better ES and SD than before. An SD of 4.89 is about the lowest I've ever seen. Getting that with once-fired is even better. Good thing I've got lots of N320 stashed now :cheers:

Edited by G-ManBart

N330 NO QUESTION !!!! If you can find it,And I cant right now!!!

3.8grsN330+147gr FP(Rem Match)+Fed Small pistol mag Primers= Soft shooting round at about 850FPS.

This is a proven load by me and other fellow GSSF shooters

I also seat the 147s long, as long as I can go without hanging up in the mag(I forget the exact measurments)

If you can find N300 this load will shoot soft in a G17 and G34 (same load)

G34 set-up(for those that want to know)

G34

lighten strike ,striker and plunger

3.5 disconnect(factory glock)

full length tungsten guide rod(non-captive)

ISMI flat wire spring (13lb)

This set-up work very well for me for 5 years and with the aimpoint reddot on a hunter carver mount ,was vert fast for GSSF!

Just thought I would chime in on the Vihitavouri powder discussion,It is a great powder,Just wish I could find it(N330)

Jeff

Bart,

What sort of primer were you using, just out of curiosity?

Win SP. I've got a pretty wide assortement of primers right now, but wanted to start with a known quantity before I tried anything else (oh, no pressure signs either). R,

Well, with the results you're getting I'd feel silly suggesting anything else but...I've been very impressed with the Federal 200 SP Magnums. The primer of God, I'm telling you. AAMOF, I have spoken to God, and he tells me he does in fact use Federal 200s in his own 9mm handloads.

Maybe you could tighten up that incredibly sloppy SD if you were using a decent primer. :lol:

Well, with the results you're getting I'd feel silly suggesting anything else but...I've been very impressed with the Federal 200 SP Magnums. The primer of God, I'm telling you. AAMOF, I have spoken to God, and he tells me he does in fact use Federal 200s in his own 9mm handloads.

Maybe you could tighten up that incredibly sloppy SD if you were using a decent primer. :lol:

LOL....yeah, I've been using the FSPM in my 38SC loads with very good results. I think I've stocked up about 15K of them or so....they really seem to light the slow N105 better and compared with a Win SP they show a jump of something like 12-14fps (posted the actual numbers somewhere else).

I think we know this from rimfire ammo, but a good primer is probably the #1 factor in getting low ES and SD....crucial to smallbore accuracy, not so much for what we do, but it's nice to see on the screen :-)

I've gotten similar results G-Man. N320, Win brass of unknown pedigree, and WSP primers.

3.6 behind a MG 147 netted a SD of 10.9.

3.4 behind a Zero 147 netted a SD of 9.8.

Granted the sample size was only 10. I'm curious what the results will be with a sample size of 30.

I also noted that the weight of the Zeros varied more than the MG. Weighed 30 at random.

MG - 146.4 to 147.3. 146.7 average. ES of 0.9.

Zero - 146.8 to 148.1. 147.2 average. ES of 1.3.

Accuracy with the MG was better than the Zeros. Not a bunch but definitely better.

I've got some things I want to try but for the time being N320 and MG is the ticket.