• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee, thanks, Dad. :D

Gotta love N320. I certainly do. :wub:

You are certainly welcome my son. :cheers:

A sweet shooting load indeed. :)

In honor of this thread I loaded up 20 rounds of MG 147 CMJ's with 3.4gr of N320 for chrono work tomorrow (hopefully). R,

You won't be sorry.

Show up how it's done, Bart! Go Bart, go Bart! <sound of cheering, packed football stadium crowd>

No pressure. ;)

Well, I did get a little bit of chrono time in, but I got out there an hour after I'd planned and the heavy overcast cut my time short as it got to the point that it wouldn't pick up the shots any longer. Still, I did get some data that makes sense. This was with my M&P Pro.

3.45gr (10 throw average) of N320

147gr Montana Gold CMJ

Win SP primer

1.125" OAL

Avg 870.0fps

ES 80.23fps

SD 21.58fps

PF 127.89

I had a couple of shots that were low (826 and 827fps) and a couple that were high (906 and 894) that pushed the ES and SD up quite a bit. Other than those couple, they were quite consistent. For example, I got 866, 865, 880, 878, 873, 870 and 862 all in a row. I think that the heavy overcast which was varying quite a bit could have been responsible for the couple of low and high numbers. I really need to build a chrono box and maybe switch chronos so I can run IR screens.

The primers looked great and it was a very soft, pleasant load. I'll have to do some side-by-side comparison with the Solo 1000 load, but either one is more than soft enough for anything we're doing.

I'm going to bump this one up maybe two tenths and try to do some more testing over the next couple of days. I've got three 4lb jugs of N320 on the way to go with the 6-7lbs I have on hand now :cheers:

Edited by G-ManBart

I really need to build a chrono box and maybe switch chronos so I can run IR screens.

I have the CED Millennium with infrared skyscreens, which are fairly awesome, actually. For instance I shoot on an indoor range, at night, and I can still run the chrono even under artificial light. Actually, if you think about it, I could run this thing in total darkness and it would still work. :lol:

Interesting. I've always seen the great advantage of the IR skyscreens as being that they freed the shooter from the demands and whims of natural light. Thus I can shoot on an indoor range with, in the overall scheme of things, little light and the chrono still works. I have always wondered, however, if operating the IR screens outdoors, with strong and/or changing and/or angled natural light also reaching the sensors could screw up the readings. Apparently the answer is yes.

These things work quite well - as long as you're not putting holes in the front. I first used one a couple of years ago when I was the ammo Nazi at a Nationals.

I building one for myself.

It's all about concistancy.

Duane, what are you doing up at 0530hrs your time?

:surprise:

I don't have a load for a 147gr. I'm shooting 125gr jacketed behind 4.2gr of TiteGroup in my Infinity 9 mm limited gun and it shoots like an air soft. I going to load some N320 and try it at 4.3 gr, and hope that it is hot enough so that the gun doesn't seem sluggish.

My question is what is the advantage of the 147gr wouldn't that just slow the gun down to the point where you would be waiting on the slide? My splits are typically .18 and the gun barley keeps up with that now, with 9 lb recoil spring.

I thought it was ok to drift a bit since the tread went to the coffin. :rolleyes:

I don't have a load for a 147gr. I'm shooting 125gr jacketed behind 4.2gr of TiteGroup in my Infinity 9 mm limited gun and it shoots like an air soft. I going to load some N320 and try it at 4.3 gr, and hope that it is hot enough so that the gun doesn't seem sluggish.

My question is what is the advantage of the 147gr wouldn't that just slow the gun down to the point where you would be waiting on the slide? My splits are typically .18 and the gun barley keeps up with that now, with 9 lb recoil spring.

I thought it was ok to drift a bit since the tread went to the coffin. :rolleyes:

If you go to the 147gr bullet, 3.7gr/N320 - OAL = 1.125" gives me a PF of 133 from a G17.

It'll depend on the slide weight and recoil spring package you're running. The gun still cycles in about the same amount of time (something like .07), but that doesn't mean it's come back into position on target. So no, the slide isn't going to take .18 to cycle...if it was that slow it probably wouldn't even cycle. I've done .12 splits with my M&P and 135PF loads using 147gr bullets....but that's shooter timing, not gun cycling timing. R,

So I did a little more chrono work with N320 and both MG 147 CMJs and PD 180gr FMJ-TC's. I bumped the load up to 3.7gr and got 138PF and 137PF respectively (both were at 1.125"). The SD and ES for both was higher than I'd like and suddenly the lightbulb went on. I got home and ran off a LOT of 10-charge averages and they were varying from 35.5 (3.55gr each) and 37.5gr (3.75gr each). I realized my powder meausure had the universal chamber in it that is designed for a minimum charge of 5gr....d'oh. I like to do load development on my turret press and use my Redding 3-BR powder measure....well, now I have a pistol chamber for the 3-BR on the way. What a dummy....

Dumb question, but how OAL is connected with PF?

We tested 3,2gr VV N320 with 147 plastic coated bullets load and it gave about 131 PF to us from Glock 17!? CED Millenium chronograph.

Shorter for the same amount of powder charge typically gives you a higher PF. Pressure = force/area. Reduce area, increase pressure.