Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Left Handed Shotguns

SIXXgun

I was wondering if any right handed shooters ever tried a LH autoloader for 3 gun? I remember seeing an article in front sight quite a few months back about this, but I don't have the issue anymore.

Any or you ever tried shooting an opposite-handed shotgun? Or do you have any ideas pro or con?

I was thinking it might be easier to use because:

1. I can drop a shell in the ejection port and still load one handed without having to roll the gun over or switch hands (twice total).

2. If I chose to use an 8 round side saddle it would be on the opposite side of the gun from my face...better sight picture with both eyes open and i'll never skin my nose when I torch off a round without having the butt into my shoulder.

3. If I lay the gun flat, the bolt handle will hold it up off the table and I can grab it easier with my dominant hand from the top (visualize it and you'll see what I mean).

4. If I am carrying a pistol on my belt as well, it will be on my strong side hip, so my shotgun speedloaders will be on my weak hand side already, closer to my weak hand for one handed loading.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

JM

I have tried it, but opposite of most. I shoot a shotgun lefthanded and use a righthand shotgun. All the advantages you point out are correct. It's one of the few times things worked out well for a southpaw with firearms. Most of the times righthanded firearms make lefthanders get creative. But with the shotgun a righty works good for a lefty.

I think this would be worth trying with a Remington, if thats what you already shoot, as the bolt is closed via the carrier, but with Benellis although the port is on the left, the bolt release is on the right hence you still have to go to the other side of the gun to close the bolt which kinda defeats the object. If they were a true mirror image lefty, with the bolt release on the left then it would probably be worth a go.

I shoot a righty shotgun left handed due to eye dominance issues. I prefer having the bolt right in front of my face, it makes onesie loading easier.

Mike.45 points out correctly that the bolt release on a lefty Benelli is still on the right side of the gun so that's not much help for a righty shooter with a lefty gun.

I shoot a righty shotgun left handed due to eye dominance issues. I prefer having the bolt right in front of my face, it makes onesie loading easier.

Mike.45 points out correctly that the bolt release on a lefty Benelli is still on the right side of the gun so that's not much help for a righty shooter with a lefty gun.

I have an Open lefty and a Standard righty shotgun, both of which I shoot left handed due to eye dominance issues (right eye is 20/400 corrected) even though I'm right handed. I agree on the benefits of shooting an opposite side shotgun and plan on eventually getting rid of my Open lefty if I can ever find someone to buy it without having to take a bath on the price.

Also, something that I haven't seen mentioned but would like comments on is about avoiding 180 DQs when shooting left handed. I feel it is much easier to break the 180 on most COF when shooting left handed. Are there any teckniques or tips on avoiding this?

Sam