Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&w 25-2 Model 1955

41mag

Hello every one,

I know where theres one of these for sale and I really like it. If I was to buy it I would use it to shoot the local action stuff with it. I know a 625 would be better but will this work? Will it function and hold up to the abuse of fast double action firing? Does it suffer from the floating hand and tight chambers of the early -2's ?

thanks for the helpful comments.

41 mag

Hello every one,

I know where theres one of these for sale and I really like it. If I was to buy it I would use it to shoot the local action stuff with it. I know a 625 would be better but will this work? Will it function and hold up to the abuse of fast double action firing? Does it suffer from the floating hand and tight chambers of the early -2's ?

thanks for the helpful comments.

41 mag

Between the two guns you are sacrificing, at most, a little more muzzle rise out of the 25-2 and gaining a little more speed in gun movement between targets.

You also gain in style points with the 25-2 which is important at my level of shooting

Is that a 6" 657 in your picture? I have one and sure do Love it! :wub: (it is my venison getter now)

As for a 25...............

I have two 625s and one 25, sure would like to find another.............I can do pretty much the same with all...........the 25 seems to be a little faster on transitions between targets out past 20 yds or so. I can't seem to get the 625 stopped as well. It is what you get used to........If you don't like it just drop me a line. ;)

Hopalong

I see no disadvantages to shooting a 25-2 in IPSC/USPSA competition. My son Sam shoots a 25-2, I shoot a 625. I don't think it would make much difference to either of us if we traded guns.

The only issue with 25-2s that might affect you is if you like to shoot cast lead bullets. Most specimens seem to prefer jacketed (or plated) bullets.

Otherwise, if you can buy it for a decent price, go for it. A good 25-2 is everything you will ever need in Revo Division.

No problems with floating hands or tight chambers.....those problems only affected the first year "Model of 1988" 625s, and maybe a few of the earlier 625-3s.

Edited by Carmoney

Alright then! Thats what I wanted to hear... I was reading your alls post and had to holler to my wife in the other room...honey! theres a gun I HAVE to buy!

I havn't seen the gun in person yet but it is said to be in excellent condition with no holster wear, in a presentation box. Anyone care to tell me what would be the normal selling price?

The gun barking flames in my avatar is the X-frame 500 spitting out a 350 grain XTP. I had my 13 yr old daughter video it so I could watch the recoil...even though she was wearing plugs the blast scared her so bad she bout dropped the camera! Wonder if I can attach that video......?

Just now saw Mr Carmoney's response,(while I was previewing my post) thank you. To have you say that bout seals the deal for me.

I think I read something in the tread that Round Gun Shooter posted for me (thank you) that makes me have to ask... is the 25-2 already set up for moonclips? I gotta have moonclips! I think someone said somthing like "just set it up for moonclips"

Thanks to all you folks who have taken time to help me, hope I can answer a Question or help you out with something sometime.

41 mag

Edited by 41mag

Whatever you do, DON'T listen to Carmoney..............he will lead you astray. ;)

25-2 is set up ready for moonclips IF it is chambered for .45 ACP and NOT .45 COLT there is a difference.

remember, if you decide you don't need the 25-2 just let me know. ;)

.41 mag........a very under rated, round that fit where/what it was designed for perfectly.

Hopalong

"

I think I read something in the tread that Round Gun Shooter posted for me (thank you) that makes me have to ask... is the 25-2 already set up for moonclips? I gotta have moonclips! I think someone said somthing like "just set it up for moonclips"

Thanks to all you folks who have taken time to help me, hope I can answer a Question or help you out with something sometime.

41 mag

41 yep comes standard for moonclips. But hopalong probably beat me to the answer. :ph34r:

.41 mag........a very under rated, round that fit where/what it was designed for perfectly.

Hopalong

Yes indeed, I love my 41 Magnum Hunter from the PC. The day I bought it I stopped on the way home at a little gun shop to get some ammo, all they had was a box of PMC (red and white box is all I remember now, 210 grain of course). The gun was used and had a B&L 2-6x scope already on the intregal rail. At this time in my life I didn't expect much from hand guns in the way of accuracy, boy was I in for a surprise! I started at my 50 yard range that I used for 22's mostly and was delighted when the gun produced clover leaf after cloverleaf...and I mean small ones too! So I decided to head over the hill to my rifle range where I was able to shoot at 180 yards (all the property I had). I turned the elevation turret 360 degrees, put up a very large piece of cardboard with a 100 yard rifle target on it. I shot one shot and then drove out to the target to see if I hit card board (no spotting scope). I was about 10" below point of aim.. cool! Went back and fired five more, all from the same hole (cheating!). Not knowing where any of them had hit I drove out to investigate....Yee haw!! Couldn't believe my eyes...it measured 4 and 1/4" center to center!

I have harvested a lot of venison with it. Its so sweet I even thought of moonclipping it! But I have to much respect for it to abuse it that way ;) .

I sure am drooling over the 25-2 now.

I have seen them for sale with the extra cylinder in 45 Colt, how hard is it to switch between cylinders? Harder than my Ruger would be I'm sure!

Thanks everyone,

41 mag

If the .45 colt cylinder is already fitted (I passed on one with this option) all you have to do is swap it out with the ACP cylinder by uscrewing the yoke screw and open it like reloading then remove the yoke, swap cylinders and reinstall..........."so easy a caveman can do it" :huh::blink::wacko::lol::lol::lol:

If it doesn't have a spare fitted one then you must start from scratch.............not rocket science but not a stroll through the back yard either. ;)

now on the 657................mine is a 6 inch non underlug gun (looks like a stainles 25 :wub: ) that is factory except I have smoothed the action. It is not quite as accrurate as yours......Maybe it is me too......but I can kill a skoal can at 50 every shot if rested. :P

make sure you wipe the new to you 25 down with oil so it doesn't rust from all the drool :D

Hopalong

I bought it!!! At work right now can't type long. It's sure pretty, looks brand new, has the papers and tools in the box with it. I'll post some pics later this week. I won't have it in my hands till Tue.

What kind of holster to use for competion that won't wear all the bluing off?

I sure am glad you all talked me into buying it!

thanks

41 mag

Congratulations, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but......................Sorry but you'll have to not worry about the blueing if you plan on using it. A blue gun with real "worn blueing" is cool anyway.

Hopalong

I was thinking about one of those race things that apears to hold the gun at the muzzle and trigger guard only. Not the Safariland 02 as it looks like it would rub the heck out of the cyclinder, if thats not the case it could be an option, its better looking than most of the "race type" holsters.

I will try to send you a link to a 25-2 thats for sale via the email function if I can make it work. I was keeping my eye on it but have bought another.

I would still like to hear what one of the nicer 25-2's are worth/selling for. Email me back if you like.

thanks 41 mag

the "Race thing" is most likely a CR Speed revolver set-up(I have one) and it will rub on the triggerguard, just in front of it where it rests on a nylon "take up screw" and on the end of the muzzle.

Thanks for the info on the other 25......I would love to get into another one for less than 500, for after I'm done butchering it only a shooter would give what it is really worth again for resale (I don't resale guns though) ;) (and sure do hate butchering anything that I have much money in)

Did you notice what the .41 mags are going for? saw one just like mine for $950......sure am glad I found mine when I did, might have to been a Ruger .41 owner instead. ;)

Hopalong

the "Race thing" is most likely a CR Speed revolver set-up(I have one) and it will rub on the triggerguard, just in front of it where it rests on a nylon "take up screw" and on the end of the muzzle.

Thanks for the info on the other 25......I would love to get into another one for less than 500, for after I'm done butchering it only a shooter would give what it is really worth again for resale (I don't resale guns though) ;) (and sure do hate butchering anything that I have much money in)

Did you notice what the .41 mags are going for? saw one just like mine for $950......sure am glad I found mine when I did, might have to been a Ruger .41 owner instead. ;)

Hopalong

Hopalong,

Know what you mean about not selling, the few I have sold have caused regrets. I am always talking about selling something from the safe that I don't use much to fund something I'm lusting after but usaully never do it.

This 25-2 that I'm getting is in very nice shape and I am wondering if I will have the will power to turn it in to a real shooter (lots of wear,changing trigger and hammer etc.). The thing is I was not going to pay more (too much more) than new 625 would cost cause I mainly wanted a revolver with moonclips for action shooting (but I love the look of the 25-2!). I got it for about that, so price is right for a shooter but the gun is mint!

No, I haven't paid no attention to the prices on the other guns. I always tell my wife that I have never sold a gun for less than I payed for it and thats true, most have sold for more, they are a good investment. I am pretty sure that there was way less than a thousand of my PC gun made. I think they were sold thru RSR, I would have to look at the serial # to be sure.

Good luck getting a good shooter for under five, hope the lead pans out.

Since the 25-2 is on the N frame and can also handle 45 Colt can a person use 45 super brass in a ACP version loaded up to the super data? I should go look it up, might be possiable.

41 mag

Please, if it is really a 1955 (marked on the barrel) with all the paperwork, etc. I would suggest the following consierations before making any modifications (or at least until you let me know what you would take for it :) ).

The 1955's were made for conventional pistol (bullseye) shooting and were a refinement of the 1950 version. The barrel rifling was changed slightly, to better accomodate lead loads, among other things.

Since this gun was made in the 50's or so, I would refrain for any experimentation in the .45 Super range, unless you know the heat treatment of the cylinder.

Again, a piece in the condition you describe should deserve some consideration; however, it is your gun to do with as you please.

In any event, should you discover another one, please let me know.

Cecil Rhodes

OK, all the 25-2s, including those made right up until they discontinued the model in the '80s, have "Model of 1955" marked on the barrel. I agree with Cecil that a true pre-Model-25-2 1955 is a collectors piece, but that's probably not what 41mag has acquired. Open the cylinder and look under the crane, if "25-2" is stamped on the frame there, and if the gun only has three sideplate screws, go ahead and shoot it to your heart's content. If there are more than 3 sideplate screws and you can't find "25-2" on the gun, better stop and re-group.

Since the 25-2 is on the N frame and can also handle 45 Colt can a person use 45 super brass in a ACP version loaded up to the super data? I should go look it up, might be possiable.

I don't know that .45 Super brass is any stronger than regular ACP brass. You can't get too carried away with .45 Colt loads in a 25-5, they just don't have the cylinder wall thickness that a Ruger or Casull has.

However, back in the day, when I was doing a bunch of pin-shooting, I had no trouble loading 255-grain SWCs at about 1050 fps in mixed ACP brass, and have shot thousands of these babies through my 25-2 over the years (the same gun Sam shoots IPSC with today, in fact). Even at 267 p.f., these never harmed a thing--other than the pins. Unique is the best powder for this specific application.

Other than shooting lumpy bowling pins off wood tables, I'm not sure why anybody would need to shoot loads like this from a .45 wheelgun, although I suppose it would make a decent hunting load if kept within the range its rainbow trajectory would allow.

Edited by Carmoney

OK, all the 25-2s, including those made right up until they discontinued the model in the '80s, have "Model of 1955" marked on the barrel. I agree with Cecil that a true pre-Model-25-2 1955 is a collectors piece, but that's probably not what 41mag has acquired. Open the cylinder and look under the crane, if "25-2" is stamped on the frame there, and if the gun only has three sideplate screws, go ahead and shoot it to your heart's content. If there are more than 3 sideplate screws and you can't find "25-2" on the gun, better stop and re-group.

Carmoney: Thanks for filling in the parts that I left out in my haste to respond.

As Carmoney said, if it is a 25-2, then have at it; but if its a pre 25-2 you might want to reconsider. Then again, guns are for shooting.

In any event, they are all really good .45 ACP guns. Be sure to check the cylinder throats and just take the time to work up some good loads. I've shot many, many rounds of the National 215 gr flat point .45 bullets at the pins as well. The N frames / cylinders will take some good loads, but its best not to exceed the max for each cartridge.

Carmoney: Thanks for filling in the parts that I left out in my haste to respond.

As Carmoney said, if it is a 25-2, then have at it; but if its a pre 25-2 you might want to reconsider. Then again, guns are for shooting.

In any event, they are all really good .45 ACP guns. Be sure to check the cylinder throats and just take the time to work up some good loads. I've shot many, many rounds of the National 215 gr flat point .45 bullets at the pins as well. The N frames / cylinders will take some good loads, but its best not to exceed the max for each cartridge.

Its a shooter, has 25-2 under the crane. It took a couple of days longer to get a hold of, had some trouble with the big inter city pawn shop transfer... Long story!

Stopped at the range and put three box's of shells thru her with no problems on the way home. Will have to shoot a thousand or two and than decide what to do with the BIG trigger and the grips. I shot some one handed and the grips/gun performed better than my 1911 as far as the recoil and torqueing in the hand, not much advantage to shooting with one hand though it still takes two to unload.

Got to start getting gear for it now.

thanks for all the info folks.

41 mag

post-9181-1167876676.jpg

• 9 years later...
On December 29, 2006 at 8:13 PM, Carmoney said:

A good 25-2 is everything you will ever need in Revo Division

Never say ever Mike! Long time no see my friend. Couldn't help bringing this up. Find it a little funny...how time changes every thing.

Dont know if you've seen my resent post, Ive not been shooting for several years and am inclined to get back into it this year. Imagine my surprise when I learn the general consensus on the forum is that my 625 is not competitive any more.

So.....since your a mentor of mine I will again be asking for your words of wisdom. Switch divisions or learn to shoot the 627 I have?

This is my 625 with a 25-2 barrel that I had put together just before the 8 shot rule change.  I had glass beaded the barrel and had a local rifle builder machine it to a DX sight base.  I keep the barrel sprayed down with silicon spray so I doesn't rust, same as I do with all my blue guns.

IMG_20161112_190402621.jpg

Edited by JohnRodriguez

4 hours ago, 41mag said:

Never say ever Mike! Long time no see my friend. Couldn't help bringing this up. Find it a little funny...how time changes every thing.

Dont know if you've seen my resent post, Ive not been shooting for several years and am inclined to get back into it this year. Imagine my surprise when I learn the general consensus on the forum is that my 625 is not competitive any more.

So.....since your a mentor of mine I will again be asking for your words of wisdom. Switch divisions or learn to shoot the 627 I have?

Welcome back.  I have to admit I have become tired of Revo, and have been shooting mostly other divisions.  But, I do enjoy shooting my 627s also--just gotta count to 8 is all!  ;-)

Mike, Burt had a 45 long colt s&w 25, pretty sure it was blued not ss, he shot moon clipped 45 acp's in it.  He claimed it wasn't cut for moon clips but the moon clipped 45 acp had the same head space as the 45 colt.  Was he correct or not?

41 mag that is a sweet looking blaster, blued just looks better.

Edited by pskys2

Some numbers from SAAMI:

Cartridge rim on Long colt is 0.060 thick

Cartridge base on 45ACP is 0.049 plus moon clip thickness is 0.040 which totals 0.089.

Typically back of case to frame 0.005 maybe 0.010.  SO 0.060+0.005 is 0.065.  That said the 0.089 probably won't fit.

GMM50 is correct, I have a DA 45 Colt and you will need to cut it for moonclips in order to shoot 45 ACP.  The Redhawk clips are .025 thick and 45 ACP are usually 0.040.

15 hours ago, pskys2 said:

Mike, Burt had a 45 long colt s&w 25, pretty sure it was blued not ss, he shot moon clipped 45 acp's in it.  He claimed it wasn't cut for moon clips but the moon clipped 45 acp had the same head space as the 45 colt.  Was he correct or not?

41 mag that is a sweet looking blaster, blued just looks better.

If someone really wanted a full thickness extractor star you can set the cylinder forward by 0.025 and make it a moonclip only revolver.  That would take a lot more time and money however to change the headspace correctly, I've only seen such customs done in rimless calibers.