Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Calling Out For Help!

zhunter

I see you were up mighty early this morning!!!!

It looks fine to me. The only thing I noticed was that you always reloaded from the same mag pouch with the same mag. How do you do when loading from the last mag pouch. Shooting SS, you probably will find that happening occasionally.

For me, if it doesn't have a magwell, I'm gonna be slow, slow, slow.

dj

Edited by dajarrel

One thing that Flex, Steve, and Jake told me was to pratice with a pause just as the mag enters the magwell...then slam it home. It seemed slower at first, but now it is just as fast, and my reload reliability has gone up significantly. Make sure that you SEE the magwell every time. I inscribed "GM" just on the inside, and if I miss a reload, I ask myself "Did I see the GM?"

I shoot Production, and although we don't use magwells, we can reload almost as fast as our Limited/Open counterparts...just be sure that the mag is alligned correctly before finishing the reload.

One more thing, Steve said that reloading without a magwell is like threading a needle while the machine is running. We can stop the machine for a moment by having the gun return to the same place every time we do a reload. It has been difficult for me at first, especially with headshots and tight 170 degree shots, but again, has dramatically improved my reloading speed.

Edited by Pharaoh Bender

The biggest thing I saw that needs work is your trigger finger, unless I'm mistaken it looked like it was inside the trigger guard for all those reloads. It might save you a DQ someday, which is worth more than 0.10 off a reload. Very smooth.

ok Z, here goes.

1. I used to reload just like you, looking over the front sight at the target. Took a class from Max and Travis, and now I'm more or less looking through the trigger gaurd, the gun's up higher and it works. For me. Give it a shot and see if that helps you.

2. You don't look like you're bending your arms and bringing the gun in during the reload. I have found that it's easier to reload a little closer in and not reaching for it quite so much. As has been pointed out, you should be looking at the bottom corner of the mag well; on this video it doesn't look like you're doing that.

3. If your goal is to build muscle memory when you reload, then do the same thing every time. You'll notice that when you reload "for practice" the gun is in one spot. When you reload "to just put a mag in the gun" the gun is in another. Do it the same every time. It's like doubling your practice time and reps.

Hope this helps!

Zhunter,

Okay, here you go.

1- Get your finger along the side of the frame when you reload. Even if your finger is off the trigger, it's along side the trigger and a sudden unexpected jar, such as missing the reload and slamming the magazine into the side of the magazine well, or banging the gun on a door or port (we've all done it!) could cause it to discharge. I'm a big proponent of using tactile reference points to maintain consistency in my technique. Work on placing the tip of the your finger on the nub of the slide stop pin. This will position your finger at the some point every time.

2- Bring the pistol closer to the center of your body. The closer your hands are to your face, the more control you'll have. Think about how you write on a piece of paper. You have more control when things are closer to your face. Get the pistol closer to your body and try to not let it drop below the level of your chin. Keep the gun high so you can watch the magazine entering the magazine well.

3- If you are going to shoot SS, then you'd better practice reloads from at least 3 pouches deep. Set up all 3 on your belt and work through all 3 before you stop and setup again.

Erik

+1, 2 & 3 on Bear1142's tips.

One thing I might tweak is to maybe put a piece of skate tape on the spot where the finger needs to go, instead of touching the slide stop pin. (I've seen a couple of those come out of shooters guns...no comment on if they should or not :) ) But, yeah...certainly find a home for that finger that is well outside the trigger guard.