Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help. Hammer On Open Pistol Won't Cock

rgkeller

With luck, it means that you put it back together wrong and have something out of place. Could be sear spring, could be overtravel screw, could be something else.

Otherwise, it means it's new trigger-job time. If it was following before, that is more likely.

I agree about the symptoms sounding like the sear spring, but there's extra info to consider.

The original description made it sound like he didn't disassemble the frame until after he had an issue with the hammer following. That makes me think there's a decent chance that the sear or hammer have been damaged. It's also possible the sear spring could be damaged I suppose but I'm having a hard time imagining how to damage the sear spring without disassembly.

Just some thoughts.

Practicing today. Hammer started following. Cleaned it. When I pull the hammer back, it will not hold in cocked position. What does this mean? Thanks

In a normal gun, it means the sear is worn. In a custom gun, it may be that, a broken or weak sear spring of simply one that's been set too light to engage the hammer. It most likely means that it's time to take the gun to a competent gunsmith to ensure that it's right.

Lee

I agree about the symptoms sounding like the sear spring, but there's extra info to consider.

The original description made it sound like he didn't disassemble the frame until after he had an issue with the hammer following. That makes me think there's a decent chance that the sear or hammer have been damaged. It's also possible the sear spring could be damaged I suppose but I'm having a hard time imagining how to damage the sear spring without disassembly.

Just some thoughts.

Easy. One of the ways some gunsmiths lighten the trigger pull is to bend the sear spring. Combine polished surfaces with a lightened spring and it only takes a little wear before the sear fails to engage the hammer and it follows the slide.

Lee

Further - I had a chance to handle one of the very early STI Eagles. This particular one suddenly had the hammer start following. Nothing was actually wrong with the pistol, except that the plastic on the inside of the frame where the sear spring sits was too slick, and allowed the sear spring to shift off of the sear. This happened in the middle of shooting it - one minute, it worked, the next it didn't. Luckily, no full auto fun (my wife was shooting it at the time).

Quick work with a punch put enough texture on the spring to keep it in place. So, just because it hasn't be disassembled doesn't mean it can't be the sear spring...

But the other stuff applies, too - if the overtravel adjustment screw is loose, various symptoms can arise, including this one...

The way I read this post is that the hammer started following BEFORE he cleaned it. Shred has a good point about the overtravel screw and the sear spring is iffy , too. Anything we say is WAG!

Without The hands on the 1911, it is a mystery!

Good point, the original post does read that way.

Might be fixable just by upping the spring force a tad on the sear leaf (assuming the spring is OK).

It's very easy to do by bending the spring leaf a touch.

Edited by bountyhunter