Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What About Moonclipping An M66?

Revopop

I'd like to dabble a little in USPSA Revolver. Right now I shoot a Wilson KZ45 in L10 and I'll continue to do so, but on those beautiful summer competition days, sometimes I wanna hang around and shoot another gun. I'm aware that pretty much all serious Revolver competitors shoot 625s, but I just can't handle and shoot one nearly as well as I can a K-frame .357.

So, how about buying a cheap cop trade-in Model 66 and having it machined for moonclips? I figure they're so much cheaper than a 625 I'll have enough money left over for some JM grips and FO sights even after the moonclip conversion. Am I crazy? Like a fox? Has anybody else thought of this?

PS

I don't own a revolver now, but I've got an S&W 14-3 on layaway that I'll be rescuing after Christmas!

The JM K/L frame grips feel very similar to the JM N frame grips. That was one of the bullet points Miculek had in mind when he had them produced. Just a thought.

If you can handle full house magnum loads as well as a heavy ol' 625 with .45 then you're the man. Definitely not my cup o' tea. I'd guess I fire 1 round in competition for every 10 I fire in practice, that .357 would beat me up. I'd try and steer someone away from spending money to build up a gun that doesn't fit the regular mold - you're probably never going to get your money back out of it if you find you like shooting USPSA Revolver and upgrade to a 625 later.

Still, nothing wrong with getting a M66 cut for moonclips. I have the M19 I carry cut for moonclips, much faster on the reloads and I can hook 2 clips on my belt for carry without extra accessories. If you don't mind losing money on the deal, it's probably a good starter kit.

You really don't have to cut a k-frame for moons. Run speedloaders.

You would run Minor with a K-frame. Major would be a lot of recoil for that size frame - a diminishing of the fun factor.

With USPSA revolver the game is a little different anyway - accuracy first. So if you go with accuracy then speed instead of speed than accuracy, you will do just fine.

I ran a 66 for a year in IDPA matches and the loads required to make even a 125 PF..... required +P and +P+ level loads which made it painful.

The recoil was considerable making it tough to get good hits on second shots. I think it would be a VERY tall task to be competititve in USPSA revolver.... with or without moon clips.

Loading a 66 to major IMHO would just make the whole effort even more problematic.... if not dangerous.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by MichiganShootist

:unsure: CAUTION. I blew the barrel off my 66. I shot competition with 38 specials and minor power factor. I was told that I should not shoot 357 on a regular basis because the gun can not handle that, so I've only shot about 100 rounds through the gun over the last two years. My 66 was a newer model WITHOUT the pinned barrel. I understand the problem is with the CRUSHED barrels. I have a few friends that have also had problems with the CRUSHED barrel. I'm also told the S&W does not make CRUSHED barrels any more so those of us that have them can not replaces them. I LOVE MY 66 and have a great time shooting the 38 specials. MOON CLIPPING, NO, I'd stay away from that. I started with the COMP III speed loaders and had the gun set up for moon clips. The moon clips are only .22 of an inch thick, half the thickness of the model 625's. This, in my estimation makes the bullets unstable while trying to speed load as they do not stay alighned. Hence, you can't get them in all the time and the tendancy is to try harder, push harder and therefore waste time. I would chamfer the cyl and go with the COMP III speed loaders. My overall time with the speed loaders is faster than with the moon clips.

;) GOOD LUCK, and the 66 is a great gun.

I'd like to dabble a little in USPSA Revolver. Right now I shoot a Wilson KZ45 in L10 and I'll continue to do so, but on those beautiful summer competition days, sometimes I wanna hang around and shoot another gun. I'm aware that pretty much all serious Revolver competitors shoot 625s, but I just can't handle and shoot one nearly as well as I can a K-frame .357.

So, how about buying a cheap cop trade-in Model 66 and having it machined for moonclips? I figure they're so much cheaper than a 625 I'll have enough money left over for some JM grips and FO sights even after the moonclip conversion. Am I crazy? Like a fox? Has anybody else thought of this?

PS

I don't own a revolver now, but I've got an S&W 14-3 on layaway that I'll be rescuing after Christmas!

Glockopop, You can have a load of fun shooting minor in USPSA. And you can be competitive against the 45 revos. The only downfall is the partial and upper A zones cost dearly on the point side. Also it makes a good ICORE piece if matches are available. I would also echo Walt's post and go with speedloaders as the longer ammo seems to be a handfull loading into the cylinder.

I have a 586 ( 38/357 ) and used it several time when I shoot rev.

Can I have it machined for moon clips and shoot 38 sup major ?

Gene :blink:

If your asking can you modifiy your 586 to shoot 38 Super then yes, you can have it done.

Not long ago someone else posted this same thing, Bubber gave a good reply I believe.

You'll blow out 38/357 brass to the point you might not want to reload it. Don't know that

I would want to shoot a 357 mag out of a converted cylinder but other's can talk about what

happens then.

There are L frame 38 super moon clips out there and they are thicker so rounds might not

be as wobbly.

I have a buddy who shoots a 686 conversion, shoots 9mm, 9x23 and 38 super, not all of

them well but some of them into an itty bitty group at 25 yards :P

I have a 586 ( 38/357 ) and used it several time when I shoot rev.

Can I have it machined for moon clips and shoot 38 sup major ?

Gene :blink:

Gene, I am playing with the 686 (mooned) for USPSA now. I have a great load using 158 berry RN bullets with Unique and Blue dot. I normally shoot a 610 6.5" for Compition but I like to play around with differant things.

I also have a 686 rechambered for 9x23 ( mooned) and shoot 38 super out of it. The one that 10mmDave speeks of. S&W does (DID) make a 686 4" in 38 super. Now, becuase Smith made them it makes mine legal in USPSA. This comes from John Amidon.

This is a better gun, IMO, than a 4" M66 for USPSA. I've got a bunch of 4" S&Ws, including 5 K frames, and the 6" M14-3 is just so much easier to shoot well due to the increased sight radius. Another advantage of the 6" gun is that it takes less powder, and therefore less pressure, to make the PF, so there's less strain on the gun.

I shoot my 14-3 in USPSA and my points are up there with the better shooters. Now, the speed is another matter... :rolleyes:

Thanks, guys, you've given me a lot of food for thought. Regardless, I think I'm going to shoot my 14-3 in competition anyway. Are there any halfway decent leather holsters that aren't too obscenely expensive? I've looked at the Safariland Cup Challenge (that's what the wheelgun guys in my club use) but it seems wrong to put a beautiful blued revolver in anything but leather. I'd also like recommendations for speedloader carriers. I'll probably get the Safariland speedloaders, I haven't handled the CompIIIs, just the CompIIs. Is it worth paying up for the CIIIs? I know there's not a huge price difference but when you add up the cost of all of them that I need...and how many speedloaders should I get anyway?

Actually, the Cup Challenge holsters are lined with suede of some kind, so they work pretty well with blued guns. That's what I use with my M14. If you want to go with leather, the only new production ones I'm aware of come with thumbsnaps, which are great for field holsters but not for competition.

Do a search on how many speedloaders/moonclips are needed and you'll come up with at least two long threads on it. The consensus is 6-8. I carry 8, based on the old adage that you can only have too much ammo if you're swimming. ;)

I use the Safariland CD-2 holders because they're cheap and available. Other options are the triple speedloader carrier from Safariland (also available and not much more expensive) and carriers from http://www.pistolpacking.com, which are more expensive and made to order, so you'll have to wait a while.

Since you were all dying to know...here's how I've decided to resolve this in my mind. I was just going to shoot my 14-3 in Minor. Then I started adding up the cost of speedloaders, a holster (not many competition-worthy choices for a 6-inch barrel), speedloader carriers, etc., I figured I was about halfway to the cost of buying a 4-inch cop trade-in M64 and having it machined for moonclips. So that's what I'm going to do.

I think I'm starting to get the wheelgun fever. I made a list of possible purchases for the upcoming year, and guess what? One auto, 3 revolvers. In addition to the 14-3 on layaway. I must be getting old. :P