Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ria Tactical

Joe D

Picked up my RIA Tactical today. First impressions are pretty good. Did not have time during lunch to do much with it. I did fire a couple of 5 shot strings in my basement range. Sights are spot on at 25 yds. The trigger pull was very crisp at 4.0 lbs. No creep. I was able to put 3 rounds out of 5 well inside a 2" Shoot-N-See. The other two cut the edges. It fed 200 gr SWC rounds smoothly.

The slide to frame fit was very good. The fit was as good as a couple of my Kimbers. The barrel bushing mic'd at .695". The slide hole is .7015". A stainless bushing I had went in perfectly. Did not shoot it with this bushing yet. The guide rod was too long. That took 5 min. to fix. Removed about .150" from the length.

The overall finish was good. There were few if any internal tooling marks. The hammer is an improvement over the old style. I don't care for ambi-safetys. That is the first thing I will change. The grip safety was well centered and allowed a nice high grip. I will adjust the grip safety as you have to depress it completely for the gun to fire. Did not like the grips at all. That's any easy fix.

More info tonight when I have time to really take it apart. So far it looks like a winner. Not too bad for a $400 gun.

I am somewhat shocked. I took the Tactical to our outdoor range during lunch. I fitted a match bushing to the gun last night just for grins and stuck a fiber optic front on. I set up a target at 20 yds. and shot a five shot group from a rest.

That is a 2" Shoot-N-See.

post-1058-1166040726.jpg

Edited by Joe D

Your "basement range"? I'm curious. Can you tell us more about your basement range? Is this in your own home?
We need pics!!!!!

i've added directions to Joe's house........... :P

man.he is just so stealthy......you don't want to know whats in his basement.... :ph34r:

post-4535-1166217794.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a Tactical from Pistol Parlor in Phoenix a couple weeks ago. It was priced at $399, which I think is a fantastic deal considering that the standard Rock Island GI guns run about $365. For the extra $30-$40 bucks, you're getting a gun that should work just fine as an entry level CDP or Single Stack gun.

The frame to slide fit on mine is as good as anything else in a stock gun class. The trigger is just over four pounds with only a tiny bit of grit. Barrel fit is also pretty darned good for a cheap gun. The rear sight notch is too shallow for my taste and the front sight needs some serrations. But those are easy fixes.

I haven't had the time to run a bunch of ammo through the gun but I have put a couple mags of WOLF ball, LSWC reloads and Speer Gold Dot +P through the gun. Reliability has been 100% and I can rountinely shoot 3" groups at 25 yards free stlye.

This is a winner! Sorry for the stock photo. I haven't had the time for better pics.

AC-RI1911TAC-B.jpg

It is easy to find our house. We are one of the last in our neighborhood to have an indoor toilet. This is Alabama after all. We are limited by covenants to no more than 4 cars on blocks.

Funny pic. Is that where you do your heavy thinking?