Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My S&j Major 9 Review

lrjet

Which one is gunsmith tuned ??

Which one is $50 cheaper per mag ?

Which one is based on a 9mm platform ?

Which one would be an easier transition for a current Glock shooter ?

Which one fits my current Glock gear ?

Which one has a bigger magwell ?

Which one has a lighter trigger?

Which one has a grip treatment ?

Which one has a slide racker ?

Which one has an over-sized mag button ?

(more food for thought)

• 3 weeks later...
I am very happy with my major nine just a fun platform to shoot. Included are pictures of the race gun and a few groups. Just wish I was out of the Iowa winter season so I can shoot it more.

Just picked up mine at the FFL.

No time to shoot it as I was knee deep in getting the SDB press set up (to feed this thing).

From the limited dry firing I have done (in the last 4 hours) I LOVE the trigger reset.

Can't wait to put rounds through it.

post-6125-1168121581.jpg

Winter?? What winter? 55 degrees in Maine on Jan 6. :blink:

Go figure.

I will have range reports tomorrow. B)

Nice--looks good with the silver trim. You will have a fun time shooting it. I have around 1300 rounds through my new one and no problems. Look forwsrd to your shooting review.

Nice--looks good with the silver trim. You will have a fun time shooting it. I have around 1300 rounds through my new one and no problems. Look forwsrd to your shooting review.

Having only shot iron sighted guns except for .22 postal shooting, I found the c-more interesting to deal with. It is very fast to find freestyle as well as weakhand (11 out of 12 A hits the first time shooting weakhand at 15 yards). I had to search a bit to find it strong hand, however, that will change with time.

From what I have been told and have been reading from other open shooters, they say to shoot the target and not the dot. I can understand that now.

I shot WWB for the first 300 rounds, as I have yet to settle on a load for the gun to work up.

* Anyone have anything that they love? I would love to hear / try all pet loads for this thing? *

The gun/dot tracks well with the WWB ammo, no recoil to speak of.

The slide fit is amazing. Real tight, no play what so ever.

The trigger is real nice as well, the reset as I mentioned during the dry firing practice, is great. Extremely short, and it was real easy to snap followup shots.

Some fellow action pistol shooters could not believe how light the gun is. I was surprised as well, even with 24 rounds in the gun, it felt light.

The oversized magwell does exactly as S&J mentioned. the angle of the front of the magwell, "locks" your hand from under the trigger guard to the top of the magwell. That, combined with the stippling of the grip, makes the firearm VERY secure in your hand.

Love it.

Now I have to clean it..... :wacko:

Hey Maineshootah...Just got my SJC 9 blaster from John on Friday. Unlike beautiful Maine, Albuquerque has 6 inches of snow still on the ground. We couldn't shoot Sat. Quick question: which recoil spring did you use with the WWB? Just curious. John sent a 10# and a 14#.

Those guys at SJC know how to do Glock. Hey enjoy the gun, I can't wait til I can head to an indoor range to work it out. Take care. :)

-Mike Patrick

• 3 weeks later...
Love it.

Now I have to clean it..... :wacko:

Hey all,

I worked up some rounds in the quest to make Major with this new Open 9AL, and found the following information:

Disclaimer: * As always, this data is specific to my gun, measured on my scale, loaded off my press, etc etc.. use as a guide only * :ph34r:

1) Winchester SuperField (WSF)

6.9 grains 125 grain zero bullet = PF = 166.335

7.0 grains 125 grain zero bullet = PF = 166.4125

7.1 grains 125 grain zero bullet = PF = 168.66

Hodgson HS6

8.2 grains 125 grain zero bullet = PF = 164.041 (NOT MAJOR)

8.3 grains 125 grain zero bullet = PF = 165.335

8.4 grains 125 grain zero bullet = PF = 167.1843

8.5 grains 125 grain zero bullet = PF = 171.0825

Dillon Square Deal B press

Dillon Electronic Scale

Zero JHP 125 bullets

Winchester Brass (Once fired)

Winchester Primers

OAL : 1.146

Reloading room temp: 65 degrees

Range Temp when crono'd: 32 degrees

PACT IV chrono

S&J Custom G17 Major 9 AL with KKM barrel :wub:

I know people like to think that the Glock is cheaper, and it is- by about $300 give or take your choice of gunsmith/manufacture. Food for thought. :unsure:

519-960.jpg

Pistol/STI, Trubore, 9mm

Price: $2,375.10

IMG_0026-1.JPG

Glock IPSC Open Major AL 9mm

PRICE: $1,574.75 + Glock 17: $500+/- = $2,074.75 TOTAL

Even if you pay the $300 more, you've still got just an STI, not a Glock!

:D

I just received my SJC Open Major and I prefer it over my S_I Open guns. John and Steave have definately come up with a better mousetrap.

Like to hear how she shoots for you. Think my steel load might be N320@3.3 with 147 XTP and OAL 1.145 to 1.155. VERY accurate.

• 1 month later...
I just received my SJC Open Major and I prefer it over my S_I Open guns. John and Steave have definately come up with a better mousetrap.

Sorry for coming in here a month late, but was wondering if you could expand on this a little, maybe pluses and cons for each.

I'm just now starting to look seirously at open guns, and the STI Trubor with the tunning package looks attractive. However, i do own a newer G17 that i could send to John, and for the price difference i'm very interested.

Sorry for coming in here a month late, but was wondering if you could expand on this a little, maybe pluses and cons for each.

I'm just now starting to look seirously at open guns, and the STI Trubor with the tunning package looks attractive. However, i do own a newer G17 that i could send to John, and for the price difference i'm very interested.

Check out their website; glockjockey.com. Then, after you see what they offer, give them a call or e-mail Steave. I have the Stealth and the 9mm major open guns. They are both awesome. Everybody at the local club asks about them and then wants to shoot them.

These are great guns and they runnnnn....Good luck!

-Mike :)

I just love the pics guys! As I am saving up to have Steve do one for me I put together my own version... What holsters are ya'll using? I was thinking of the CR speed with the Carver Modification but I am not set on it.

Does anyone know who does the cut down & tune of the long sticks to make them into 170's?

post-5420-1173304296.jpg

I just love the pics guys! As I am saving up to have Steve do one for me I put together my own version... What holsters are ya'll using? I was thinking of the CR speed with the Carver Modification but I am not set on it.

Does anyone know who does the cut down & tune of the long sticks to make them into 170's?

post-5420-1173304296.jpg

CR Speed - you do not need the Carver mount CR for the work done by S&J. (which means it will work in limited and L10 with you other glock.. :P

As far as the big stick, I got mine from S&J as well.

That is an awesome looking Glock.

I am curious why the designer, especially considering the slide-to-frame fit work they do, decided to go with the C-more instead of slide mounted J-point?

It seems with an excellent slide to frame lock-up as SJC provides that the J-Point may be a viable option? The possible advantages would include a slightly lower sight to to slide, a perhaps more natural shooting position, especially for one who shoots conventionally sighted pistols.

I am guessing that the potential reliability of C-more set-up is better?

I am just curious about some of the design decisions that went into this apparently state of the art Glock open class blaster.

I am pretty sure I want one, BTW.