Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G35, Or Para 16-40?

billdncn

I have a G35, and am thinking about getting a very nice used 16-40 Limited (old style extractor) to start USPSA next year. I currently use my 35 for IDPA loaded to minor.

I don't know if I want to get a G34 for IDPA & USPSA Production, and setup my 35 with magwell, guide rod, etc. for Limited, or keep using the 35 for IDPA, and get the Para to build on, and use for Limited.

Stay with Glock (34 & 35), or go Glock, Para, Glock, Para...........

Opinions please. Thanks

I used a 35 for limited and a 34 for IDPA and production. I liked having both triggers feel the same. After 4 years I have gone to a Brazo for limited and again because of trigger feel I have gotten another 2011 for IDPA. It is your own preference but no matter which gun I shoot the feel and operation is very similar and this works the best for me at the level I am trying to shoot at.

Thanks guys.

I'm torn :huh:

The Glock has gotten me to Expert in 5 months. About the only thing I don't like about the Glock is there triggers. The ergo's fit me well, and I love the light weight for handling, and transitions.

But, with an all steel hi-cap I'm thinking less recoil when shooting major, quicker splits, stability.

If I build my 35 for Limited one of the first things I would do is install T.H.E.'s Tugsten guide rod, and maybe Dawson's Heavy magwell.

Any thoughts?

I used a 35 for limited and a 34 for IDPA and production. I liked having both triggers feel the same. After 4 years I have gone to a Brazo for limited and again because of trigger feel I have gotten another 2011 for IDPA. It is your own preference but no matter which gun I shoot the feel and operation is very similar and this works the best for me at the level I am trying to shoot at.

I've been thinking about that too. Makes since. But I want to own more then just Glocks :(

Edited by billdncn

if i had to do it all over again, i think i would have gone with a glock 35 so i can use it in limited, L10, production, ESP and SSP all with the same PF ammo. I think bouncing back and forth between guns isn't a good idea. you'll save quite a bit of funds using the same equipment for all the classes you can enter.

Edited by yoshidaex

I used a steel guide rod with a 14LBS recoil spring. I had a reduced striker snd safety plunger spring. The mag well was an alum. one I don't remember who's. I polished all the trigger parts and put a .035 allen screw in to keep the trigger frim going as far foward on reset. If you chose to do that you must VERY carefully recut the trigger safety so it will still work. That all said there are some good drop in triggers that are out there. The glock is great because it is so easy to work on.

if i had to do it all over again, i think i would have gone with a glock 35 so i can use it in limited, L10, production, ESP and SSP all with the same PF ammo. I think bouncing back and forth between guns isn't a good idea.

You could use the same PF for all of those if you just shoot minor, but I know what your saying.

I do love my 35.

I have Glocks and two Paras - a P14 and a P16 both set up for Limited. I like them all but I have to pick one style - Glock or Para - and stick with it. I cannot move back and forth because of the different grip angles and triggers.

I've been shooting Glocks since 1998. I shoot both IDPA and USPSA.

I started USPSA in Production with a Glock 17, then moved to a 35. Last year I made the move to Limited with my 35. But this year I decided to take the plunge and get a 1911 and found a deal on a Para-Ordnance P16 Todd Jarrett.

What a move this has been. I love it! The gun is heavier so recoil is less, the trigger is much better and I was using a Vanek trigger in my Glock, and the reliability has been terrific.

Am I ready to trade in all of my Glocks? Hell no! Is it better than a Glock, I don't know yet. Don't know if I'll ever find that out. Am I going to stop shooting Glocks? Hell no! All I know is, it's been a lot of fun.

Is Glock going to stop paying your mortgage if you buy a Para? B) Is Para going to send your kids through college? :P

Give it a try. If you don't like it, I'm sure someone will. If you do, there is probably someone willing to give your Glock a good home. You won't know if YOU like it, if YOU don't give it a try.

It sounds like you just need someone to give you a little push over the edge to give it a try.

Happy with my Glocks and Para,

Dan

I think you will find it hard to move between two very different triggers. I sold my g24 set for limited because I just shot better and prefered my 2011 style gun. The guy who bought it is a glock guy and he shoots great with it. But anything you do, you can undo, for not too much money lost. Just think, if you buy another platform you will need...new holster, new mag pouches, etc. You could also just shoot the g35 with major loads and just put a lighter bullet on the same powder charge for minor production loads. The only thing you need for limited is a diff spring, tungsten guide rod, and mag extentions. The magwell later if you want to travel down that road further. I wish someone would have handed me a glock in the begining and made me wait 18 months before I started dropping serious cash on what I thought I wanted. My .02

if i had to do it all over again, i think i would have gone with a glock 35 so i can use it in limited, L10, production, ESP and SSP all with the same PF ammo. I think bouncing back and forth between guns isn't a good idea.

You could use the same PF for all of those if you just shoot minor, but I know what your saying.

I do love my 35.

Bill, My 35 is setup for Limited, tungsten guide rod, heavy brass magwell, 15lb spring, dawson Fiber on front..mags have Arredondo base pads on them, trigger is polished but that's all..

Seeing as you live in Richmond and i Live in Midlothian, if you'd like to shoot it we could probably arrange that.. Old Dominion ?

Frankly, I went the 35 route so i could get into limited cheaper then going the 2011 route. I'm only a B in limited but it's not the gun holding me back, it's just range time and practice that hurts me, to many little mistakes. It's a very versitle platform, not saying the 2011 isn't but let's face it.. $$ plays a big role.

Para's, well my freind has a Dawson Jarrett he bought a couple of years ago, runs like a champ he's been thinking of selling it.. I've shot it and his Brazos Pro SC.. The brazos is awesome but his Para isn't bad either.

PM me if you'd like about the glock. And as far as the purchase goes, there is never really a bad reason to buy a new pistol :)

Jeff.

Not too long ago I was making the same decision.

The Glock is light and fast. The Para is heavy and stable. Both were set up for Limited and tweaked exactly the way I wanted them tweaked.

The stability of the Para and the fact I had trouble with the Para trigger if I shot the Glock for a few weeks made me decide to stick with the Para. 21+1 that is totally reliable didn't hurt either.

Try the Para.

Alot of good thoughts, and opinions here.

I'm meeting the guy tomorrow, and getting the Para. The deciding factor was if it dose'nt work out for me I can sell off later, and not take a big hit.

Don't think I'll ever get rid of the G35 :wub:

Thanks to all.

BTW.....Who has the best selection of Para parts? Dawson's?

I think if most folks were totally honest with themselves they would find that going from a Glock to a 1911/2011 platform really did not improve their shooting. I have a safe full of 1911/2011 guns and Glocks. As for me, note I said for me, I find no difference in my scores using either platform. I have come to realize that the over used expression "It's the Indian, not the arrow" is very true.

If we break down the two platforms we will find that the draw times are the same, splits the same and transitions the same. IMO we tend to look at a Glock as a beginner gun with the next step up being a 2011.

One of my good friends and shooting buds has taken the Glock to STI and back to Glock path. Going from a Glock to 2011/Para is not going to catapult you from a B shooter to Master overnight. If you do get to Master with the 2011/Para then go back to the Glock for a while. I suspect you will find yourself shooting at a Master level with the Glock.

Just my opinion.

I get everything possible for my Para from Dawson.

Based on my last order, and I doubt this has anything at all to do with Dawson themselves, you'll need replacement mag springs from Brownells if you buy any mags. If not, you will never get more than 19 rounds in the mags (w/ Dawon extensions). With the original type (the last 2 years anyway) spring the mags will easily hold 21 rounds.

The good spring looks just like a spring. The crappy springs look like they've been in storage a few decades. That's about the best description I can give.

I don't want to reload to 21 round mags especially, but I start with 21+1 and reload to 20 round mags. If 42 rounds won't get the job done, then there's a bigger problem out there.

I think if most folks were totally honest with themselves they would find that going from a Glock to a 1911/2011 platform really did not improve their shooting. I have a safe full of 1911/2011 guns and Glocks. As for me, note I said for me, I find no difference in my scores using either platform. I have come to realize that the over used expression "It's the Indian, not the arrow" is very true.

If we break down the two platforms we will find that the draw times are the same, splits the same and transitions the same. IMO we tend to look at a Glock as a beginner gun with the next step up being a 2011.

One of my good friends and shooting buds has taken the Glock to STI and back to Glock path. Going from a Glock to 2011/Para is not going to catapult you from a B shooter to Master overnight. If you do get to Master with the 2011/Para then go back to the Glock for a while. I suspect you will find yourself shooting at a Master level with the Glock.

Just my opinion.

Amen, very well said and all true!!!!!!!

I don't want to reload to 21 round mags especially, but I start with 21+1 and reload to 20 round mags. If 42 rounds won't get the job done, then there's a bigger problem out there.

sometimes there too much attention being put into how many rounds can you get out of mag. Like what you said.

Edited by kimberacp

Just my opinion.

I agree.....somewhat. I'll explain my thoughts on this subject.

As an old washed up qiutarist I have in the past, and still can play "over my head" (better) after obtaining a better piece of equipment, i.e. guitar, amp, effect, etc.

If it feels better, sounds better, etc. I'm more into it, and inspired. therefore I want to use it more. More use equals more practice which equals a better player.

What you said is true. That's why I used the word "somewhat".

So....a new/better gun, I think, can make you better. But, in the end if you go back you you'll see it was probably you, and not necessarly the gun

:blink:

I was just in the same situation, have a Glock 35, for limited. Grip reduction, trigger job,

new sights. After ARS grip modification I shot it better, but something just did not feel right. I shoot a Springfield XD 9 Tactical in Production and IDPA ESP. S&W 1911 for CDP and single stack. Got into limited mainly for 3 gun major power factor. Wanted one gun to shoot IDPA and USPSA.

That's why I just got a little used P16-40. I like the weight and feel of it. All new fire control parts are on order. Just got the S&A aluminum mag well. ( have to keep under the IDPA weight limit.) Dawson FO front sight.

Hope to have it up and running soon.

I will still keep my glock.

Bill,

What are you going to do?

Don't leave us hangin'.

Dan :P

Right now I'm just playing with this.............

Para004.jpg

I just ordered a thick barrel bushing, guide plug, and some new recoil springs from EGW. Also, a f/o front sight from Brazos.

If it'll make weight <_< I'll use it for IDPA ESP for a while. Until I get all my Limited goodies for it :D

I shot it the other day, and I thought my G35 was tame with my minor loads.......Man, this thing is flat shoot'in! I shot it better then the Glock even though when testing my handloads I could only manage about 3-3.5" at 25 off the rest. Hopefully with the new bushing, and working up different loads I can find something it likes.

I really do like it!