Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rescomp Aimpoint Cap

BrianH

A problem (major calibre) I've been having with the Rescomp aimpoint cap is bad contact in the tube, and my dot starts fading and going away!

I've tried some amum. foil, put a piece of earplug under the spring....all fail at some point.

So I'd like to hear from those of you who've had this problem and come up with a perm. fix (or as best you could)....

Thanks.

I stretched and polished the spring, and cleaned the bottom of the tube with contact cleaner, and it helped.

But I still need a flattened wad of foil at the bottom of the tube; I think there is too much space with the new cap on.

You didn't put Zinc-Air batteries (pretty much all you can get for hearing aids) in there while you were dinking with the battery cap did you?  Had a buddy do that-- his dot got dim about a minute after turning it on.. he'd pull it all apart to look at it (and let air in) and all would be fine.. until the air ran out in the battery compartment again... and again..

No, it ain't that.  I put CR 1/3's in.  I shot it today and had it cut in and out again; I'm hoping it's a contact problem, and not a loose wire.

The same thing happens with the factory cap....

Hi,

I am in South Africa, where Rescomp manufactures there products. I am in favour of all there products except there aimpoint caps. A lot of shooters here have had problems with it and just moved on to buying a new scope. Apparently it is a problem with the scope.

Hope it helps

I have used an 7" XD for just on 2 years and 15,000 rounds and it will sometimes fade. Tried new batteries and it goes for a while. Check the expiration date on the batteries, make sure that when you buy them they are from a reputable maker and on a card. NOT LOOSE.

I have seen many aimpoints go phut, all on high volume guns, send them an email and then send the scope back to Sweden. I just wonder how long the other brands would last when subjected to what I have done to my Aimpoint.

BTW, got a new Aimpoint ML2 4" dot. AWESOME. Batteries last ten times longer ( not that I am going to test that out ) twice as bright and a little less paralax.

I have fix 5-6 Aimpoint Comp XD for my friend last year.

Here is how I fix mind.  I remove the black switch knob

of the scope.  And the I will found the brass ring nut inside.  I remove the brass ring nut out and add the loctite(Blue) and put the brass ring nut back on again and tighten it.  That's all!!!  The lose brass nut will cause the dot disappearing.  Hope this help

I am still using the first generation Comp which I bought in 1993/94. I started using this scope again early this year after a lapse of 6 years which I stopped shooting. I have no problem with it except that the lens are a bit scratched (is my fault really) and it looks like it has some dust accumulated inside the scope. Apart from that it works all the time. I am using three A-76/LR-44 batteries.

The only complain is that the batteries do not last very long. They should last longer than a Tasco or equuivalent.

Aimpoint has just launched a 7moa CompC which would be ideal for Practical shooting compared to 4moa.

Since we are on the scope topic, has anyone try the Omnisight by Nowlin/Schuey?

Always wanted to try a 'hud' type to see if there are any advantages over the tube type.

Sorry.. what I meant is that there are obvious differences (not necessarily advantages or disadvantages) between the two sighting systems if you flip back and forth-- The Aimpoint looks like it's blocking half your view, and the C-more is annoying to find the dot in and way, way up there above the slide.

What I notice after shooting one or the other for a while is that it doesn't matter. Pretty soon the dot is on the target and that's all I'm seeing, whichever scope is on there. I even switched guns midway through Area 4 and didn't really notice the scope differences.

(I'm beginning to think that at my level (mid-A), it doesn't matter what open gun you're shooting, so long as it goes bang every time and holds 27 rounds.)

(Edited by shred at 3:56 pm on July 13, 2002)

I tightened the brass nut and replaced the batteries (new Energizers) and that helped, but by the end of a 12 stage match, the dot was almost gone....I think batteries are getting ate, and from what you guys say, that's prob. the case.

BTW....I'm not sure I notice any brighter of a dot either, but someone told me it worked great.  This is also a first gen. Comp....I'm surprised it's still going....