Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weak Hand Only

While practicing my weak hand shooting the other day it occured to me that every stage I ever shot with a weak hand requirement was weak hand only.

Why?

Wouldn't it be fun and interesting to throw in a few stages that require weak hand shots but allow for a two hand grip?

We shoot strong hand both ways,...why not shoot weak hand both ways?

Tls

I would say that the "why" for weak hand only stages is to simulate what would happen if our strong hand was somehow incapacitated. Beyond that, there would be few practical reasons to shoot weak hand, two-handed, but it could be interesting to try.

Edited by Greg Jones

In the early days of IPSC i heard that they used cross draw rigs and weak hand only stages required the stong hand to be immobilized IE you have to draw with your weak hand too. That, I believe, is the intent but due to saftey constraints that is not how people draw. I would like to see that brought back. I also agree with the weak hand freestyle. I shot a 3-gun match once that required shooting a shotgun at a plate rack weak hand. now that is a challenge at least it was for me ( I was one of the only guys who had a pump).

Beyond that, there would be few practical reasons to shoot weak hand, two-handed, but it could be interesting to try.

I appreciate your viewpoint but I'm not quite sure I agree with the "practical reason" aspect.

Let me give you a real world reason.

My carry gun resides in the console of my truck. I am left handed.

If I ever needed to retrieve it, I can only reach it with my weak hand.

If threatened (carjacker?) there simply may not be time to shift the gun to the strong hand.

It would depend on the circumstances.

I have no wish to drag everyone back into the endless tactical vs practical debate.

However, if one wants to invoke practical reality as an argument, it seems to me that the possibilities are endless.

There is simply no way to predict what may be required of a person fighting for his life.

I just think that weak hand freestyle would add a little spice and variety to some of our stage designs.

That's something we're always looking for isn't it?

Tls

Edited by tlshores

WARNING: Thinking outside the box could be punishable be severe flaming. :ph34r:

I think I may set something up this weekend. Maybe some little 8 round deal with a couple of plates out about 20 yards requiring supported weak hand.

Thanks for the idea TL.

Edited by Bigbadaboom

The only practical reason to shoot weak hand with the strong hand supporting is to shoot around the weak side of a barricade. PPC has this as you shoot weak hand with support to the weak hand side of a barricade. Less of your body around the corner to be a target. And what Matt says covers every other situation, if you have time to use your strong hand as support, then you have time to use your strong hand to shoot.

I once shot a whole match using weak hand supported. It was an eye opener. The time was down but the accuracy was almost perfect.

Now almost every practice has 10-15 strong hand draws and transfers to weak hand. Additionally, there are always two mags worth of weak hand shooting. My confidence on weak hand stuff has gone way up. I actually look forward to stages with weak or strong hand stuff because I know I can do it. I also do 10 strong hand draws every practice.

I like the idea at the club match level. I recall shooting a stage where you had to soak your hands in icewater first. You won't see that at the Nationals, but at your Tuesday night league, why not?

Wow......ice water.....maybe we should try poking each other in the eye at LAMR... :D at least soaking your hands is better than dropping a few cubes down your pants at LAMR...hmmmm..that may speed me up :lol::lol:

I like the idea at the club match level. I recall shooting a stage where you had to soak your hands in icewater first. You won't see that at the Nationals, but at your Tuesday night league, why not?

You are kidding, right?

Nope. It was a "fun" shoot, and completely not a sanctioned USPSA ordeal.

Wow......ice water.....maybe we should try poking each other in the eye at LAMR... :D at least soaking your hands is better than dropping a few cubes down your pants at LAMR...hmmmm..that may speed me up :lol::lol:

AHHHH! Another Idea! You guys gotta stop before you get me killed by my shooting buddies.

OH, Who would drop the ice down the shooters pants? NOT ME!! :P

I can see the stage description now.

"Prior to the start signal you must unzip your fly and insert the frozen gel pack".

Thus giving a whole new meaning to "Load and Make Ready" :D:D:D

Thread Drift Mode: [OFF]

T

Edited by tlshores

You are kidding, right?

Nope - in fact, a stage at the World Shoot in Bisley, UK in 1993 had you starting with your hands immersed up to the wrists in a basin full of cold water and "washing up" liquid (read that as dish detergent)...

Of course, a towel was considerately provided if you wished to take the time before unleashing the blasters...

You are kidding, right?

Nope - in fact, a stage at the World Shoot in Bisley, UK in 1993 had you starting with your hands immersed up to the wrists in a basin full of cold water and "washing up" liquid (read that as dish detergent)...

Of course, a towel was considerately provided if you wished to take the time before unleashing the blasters...

Just because it happened Once, doesn't mean it should happen again or that it was the right thing to do to start with... ;)

WARNING: Thinking outside the box AND OUT LOUD can result in Flaming! Both on the web, and in real life! B)

PS it was not a fun match. It was a very cold (but regular) Tuesday night league shoot.

Weak hand shooting is an exercise in proficiency.

It sounds like you will never need to use it in real life.

Imagine living up north and shooting outdoors in the winter when it is 22 degrees below zero.

Can you do it, will your equipment function? Will you function?

Or on the other extreme shooting a match when the temps go over 100 degrees, do they cancel the match. Weak hand can make or break you scores, and it is a survival skill.

Shooting and practice emphases training your memory to react under physical stress, where you can react and not fumble while handling the situation when something abnormal happens.

When was the last time you wrote a check or signed a CC receipt weak hand.

Remember life is not perfect and sometime in your time span you may become disabled for a moment – what will you do then.

Think smart be prepared for the unknown, practice.

For fun I've been playing around with the NRA Handgun Qualification course with each of my handguns. It's been interesting to use supported weak hand for some of the events. Good skill that I've learned and could be useful here and there during a freestyle IPSC COF. Too bad that any time that weak hand is specified it's weak hand only. However there is nothing in the rules as far as I know that prevents a weak hand supported position.

BTW: The NRA course isn't difficult. Any high D class IPSC shooter should make Distinguished Expert on his first try. To make it sporting I'm trying to do it with a 2" S&W Airweight.

I would say that the "why" for weak hand only stages is to simulate what would happen if our strong hand was somehow incapacitated. Beyond that, there would be few practical reasons to shoot weak hand, two-handed, but it could be interesting to try.

I would think that weak hand baricade would have exactly the same practicality as strong hand baricade. In real life, baricades are often solid objects, like cars and walls, that may only be practical as cover, when fired from the weak hand.

Lee

I watched michael voight shoot a course single handed, and wondered how practical it is... I guess if your MV you can do anything you want but what about the rest of us? lol! I practiced weak hand shooting yesterday both single handed and strong hand supported. When I rested my hand in my pocket and shot w a NRA bullseye stance and shot alright.. not great, but I will make sure every time I practice to draw shoot and reload at least 3 mags. it was kinda embarrassing when my girlfriend is shooting a bone stock mil-spec "loaded" version for her first time and shes shooting better than me off handed. She's getting really good. looks like she wants to shoot ipsc as well, but stippled grips hurt her girly little hands :D

I would think that weak hand baricade would have exactly the same practicality as strong hand baricade. In real life, baricades are often solid objects, like cars and walls, that may only be practical as cover, when fired from the weak hand.

Lee

If we are talking about a two-hand hold with a handgun, there will be a negligible, if any, difference in the amount of the shooter's body that is exposed from cover when switching from strong hand to weak hand. If the shooter switches eye dominance, which should be easier for most people than shooting with the weak hand, there would be less of the shooter's body exposed. Put another way, assume I am a right-handed shooter that is right-eye dominant, shooting with a two-hand hold from the left side of cover. I will expose more of my body shooting weak hand/dominant eye than I will if I shoot strong hand/weak eye. The amount of the shooter's body that is exposed with a two-hand grip does not change by switching the gun from strong side to weak side. The shooter will expose more of his/her head when leaning out to force the use of the strong-side eye from behind weak-side cover.

The above only applies to a handgun as the dynamics change with a long gun, especially when you consider that switching eye dominance with a rifle or a shotgun is a "hit or miss" proposition (pardon the pun).