Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production Xd Sights And Accurizing

JoshF

I currently shoot production with a XD 40 Tactical. I've decided to send the XD out for some work.

Trigger Job is a must but the rest of my options I have not decided on.

I have settled on Dawson sights (Fiber front/Plain rear) but am not sure if I should go adj or fixed. I like the low profile and simplicity of the fixed. The adjustable are tall and look fragile but the adjustability might be useful??

Also has anyone had their stock barrel refitted? If so did you notice a real improvement on accuracy? The slide on both my XDs have enough play I find it hard to believe any real gains in accuracy will result from it.

I currently shoot production with a XD 40 Tactical. I've decided to send the XD out for some work.

Trigger Job is a must but the rest of my options I have not decided on.

I have settled on Dawson sights (Fiber front/Plain rear) but am not sure if I should go adj or fixed. I like the low profile and simplicity of the fixed. The adjustable are tall and look fragile but the adjustability might be useful??

Also has anyone had their stock barrel refitted? If so did you notice a real improvement on accuracy? The slide on both my XDs have enough play I find it hard to believe any real gains in accuracy will result from it.

You might want to read about the proposed rule changes to Production for 2008 if you are thinking about getting a trigger below 3 pounds. Of course, nothing is set in stone and we don't have the proposed rule book yet.

As for me, I think I'll leave my production gun alone till the rules are finalized.

With the word going around about changes to PD, if I were in your position, I would only have Rich or Springer do a carry trigger job (over 3#, closer to 4# just in case) and go with Dawson fixed rear sight and FO front. Hold off on the barrel refitting or any other mods until we have the new book.

I have a sweet competition trigger in my XD40Tac and a carry job in my XD40Service, I like them both very much and wouldn't have a probelm having to shoot competitively with the heavier... I shot Glocks before and this is still better than a Glock 3.5 factory trigger.

Ditto.

I presume you're sending it to either Rich or Scott.

Have them do a 3.5#-4# trigger job on it and go with the fixed sights.

The last thing you want is for your adjustable sights to be OUT of adjustment on match day.......

As far as Barrel fitting, just how good a shot are you? Can you do your part to get that last 1/2" out of it at 50 yards? I know I can't. The gun is already way more accurate than I am.

Send it to Rich.

Have him fit a fiber optic or plain .100 front sight to it while he does the trigger job.

While he's at it, tell him to REVERSE the factory rear sight and serrate it. It'll appear like a Heinie, only better. (Heinie's are too small and the notch too narrow)

I've had 3 done by Rich and my current carry gun has his carry trigger on it, a .100 fiber optic front and a reversed/serrated factory rear.

Works great.

I have adjustables on mine and wouldn't have it any other way. I do to much "testing" with reloads not to. I also go from major power factor to minor and I don't like to have to remember to hold high or low or what not. They have been fine after the first few thousand rounds. Just make sure they are loctited in good.

I am on the stay pretty basic side .....I have a 40tac as well. Shoot a stock trig, 18#recoil and a .125x.180 Dawson FO front. I left the rear sight in and just mashed a black crayon in on the white dots. ....... shot it to a 1st ESP EX State IDPA championship this year, club champion ships and upped my IPSC Prod score to the next class. Simplest gun to shoot next to a 1911 and I own three custom 1911's.

I bought more bullets and powder with my trigger job $$

HH

IF there are any rule changes (which I doubt if the membership gets to vote) they wont take effect until 2008 so you have a whole year to have fun with whatever trigger you choose. And trust me a year is a long time, if you shoot alot. I shot 10 major matches this year, and felt like it was an eternity between the Florida Open in Feb. and the Ohio Sectional in Oct. (not even a full 12 months yet).

Besides triggers, good sights are the best thing you can do to a Prod. gun, so get the best. I like Dawson Adjustables. They do not drift on you. Not sure why they would. They are anything but fragile. Best money I ever spent on sights. I now have 3 pairs on my Glocks. Great products, and Dawson backs them up 100%

IF there are any rule changes (which I doubt if the membership gets to vote) they wont take effect until 2008 so you have a whole year to have fun with whatever trigger you choose. And trust me a year is a long time, if you shoot alot. I shot 10 major matches this year, and felt like it was an eternity between the Florida Open in Feb. and the Ohio Sectional in Oct. (not even a full 12 months yet).

Besides triggers, good sights are the best thing you can do to a Prod. gun, so get the best. I like Dawson Adjustables. They do not drift on you. Not sure why they would. They are anything but fragile. Best money I ever spent on sights. I now have 3 pairs on my Glocks. Great products, and Dawson backs them up 100%

Yup thats what I got 40 tac with dawson adjustables and damn do I hope I get to vote! :D

Send it to Rich.

While he's at it, tell him to REVERSE the factory rear sight and serrate it. It'll appear like a Heinie, only better.

Sounds like a great option!

For rear sight I like the Dawson fixed with the wide notch. That's what I have on my 40SVC, the 40TAC has Canyon Creek installed BoMars.