Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Burris Euro Diamond 1- 4x- 3p#4 E-dot

Carl

Looks like this scope came out earlier this year:

Burris Euro Diamond 1- 4X- 3P#4 E-Dot 200968

I called Burris to see if the scope was a TRUE 1X. The guy I spoke to asked one of his engineers, and said that it is in fact a true 1X .

It looked promising to me, and seems to be about $200 cheaper than the Meopta Meostar K-Dot.

Anybody have any experiences with this one?

Thanks,

Carl

Just happened to see that exact scope today while visiting my gunsmith. Its not quite a true 1x but very close. The duplex stadia are very thick. It had alot of eye relief. Very clear optics. The dot did not blur and was very crisp on high but still not extremely visible in sunlight.I believe it would be a good option. I'm a big fan of Burris optics and have several of their scopes on different rifles. I was not able to judge weight as it was already mounted on a custom 10/22.

Edited by 00bullitt

Its not quite a true 1x but very close. The duplex stadia are very thick.

You know, I guess when I asked Burris if it was a TRUE 1x they thought it was "close enough" even though I specifically asked, "it's not a 1.1X or 1.2X but a TRUE 1X ! - <_<

I knew someone here would have seen it up close and personal. I had really hoped it would be a good posibility since their scopes are made in the US.

Thanks!

Carl

Burris had these scopes at the Shot Show but has slipped several dates as far as production deliveries. They are well made and will be a contender for the 3 gun market. The FOV was in the 80's, iirc, one of the things which attracted me to it. Not going to set the world on fire, but this scope will work for some and is lower priced than the Meopta, Valdada and Leupolds.

We have a case on order, so I am glad that someone has seen one. It means Burris is actually shipping ( the date has slipped twice), unless the one looked at was a pre production sample that was sent out to draw interest. Hopefully, they will be available before the spring match season starts up.

Any idea on the retail price of these?

SWFA has them listed for $502.95

MidwayUSA shows 'em "coming" and lists them as $519.99

they also show:

Field of View at 100 Yards:

109' @ 1x

32’ @ 4x

CactusTactical? what are you guys going to sell them for?

Carl

Edited by Carl

SWFA has them listed for $502.95. We are going to price at $490 - 500, iirc. The unanswered question about this scope is whether the dot is "visible" in daylight. At the Shot Show, I could see it inside the convention center under artifical light. How that translates to daylight use is yet to be determined. If Burris did not make the dot bright enough, you really have a standard cross hairs reticle instead of a bright dot reticle for 3 gun use.

SWFA has had them listed since the summer. When asked about, they always replied as out of stock. We have not asked them in a month or so. I really hope they are in now, I think they will be a decent product.

We check every few months just to make sure Burris is not slipping them out to a few dealers in a limited release. They have not hit the major wholesalers yet, which would be the first shipments normally.

Edited by Cactustactical

I had a Burris with the illum dot( not this paticular one) and have used or handled a couple more. Burris makes good scopes, I like them, but the dot wont cut it for 3 gun, dot washes out in all but dawn and dusk conditions. Might work with a sunshade( that is really the secret of the Mepota, about 3 1/2 or 4 inches of it is sunshade). Burris always has good glass and mechanics and the FOV on that little scope is really good.---------Larry

Edited by lkytx

Any idea on the retail price of these?

MidwayUSA shows 'em "coming" and lists them as $519.99

Carl

For $40.00 more bucks I could have a Meopta with crosshairs. Especially if the dot doesn't show up in the daytime. A Burris can't have glass that good, Can it? It seems a little expensive to me then.

scott

It might be fairer to actually wait until the scope is out and in peoples hands and wrung out a bit before writing it off. I am not sure how it is going to shake out under competitive pressure, but it sure seems strange to hear people put it down based on comparisions to other scopes in other Burris product lines that don't have the same specs before it is even shipping.

Does anyone have any experience with the Burris that is similar to this one in the XTR line. I saw that Larry has a 1.5x6 on the shelf and that is the power of the XTR I'm interested in.

I know the XTR costs a little more, and the 1.5 will make it a little harder to shoot both eyes open, but I am very right eye dominant, and I can shoot my CQT turned up about half way with both eyes open. I would be using this for 3gunning. Any opinions?

I was going to order a Meopta Meostar for my new AR project and also saw this Burris. If it does turn out to be a true 1x and the dot doesnt wash out, I would definitely consider it. Wont decide until I see one in person. And the $200 price difference would cover a Larue mount.

• 3 weeks later...

Burris is going to ship us several of these this coming week. We will get one mounted up and try it out.

Looking at one during the Shot Show, the glass seemed clear, the mag knob moved smoothly and it has a FOV of over 100 feet, so the big question mark is how bright is the dot in the day time. Hopefully, they have gotten it right, although it is being marketed as a hunting scope. Will pass on what we feel.

• 2 weeks later...
Burris is going to ship us several of these this coming week. We will get one mounted up and try it out.

Looking at one during the Shot Show, the glass seemed clear, the mag knob moved smoothly and it has a FOV of over 100 feet, so the big question mark is how bright is the dot in the day time. Hopefully, they have gotten it right, although it is being marketed as a hunting scope. Will pass on what we feel.

Were you able to mount these up, and if you did, what are your findings?

Even if the dot is a bit "weak" it seems to me that one could install a different diode for a brighter dot.

Were you able to mount these up, and if you did, what are your findings?

Even if the dot is a bit "weak" it seems to me that one could install a different diode for a brighter dot.

The scope has its pluses and minuses.

The dot is visible in daylight, not as bright as a Meopta, but bright enough to offset the crosshairs, so attention is drawn to it. It is probably a 2 moa dot. The illumination was turned on and off by an easy to use knob on the left side of the tube.

On the down side, the scope did not have target style knobs, but really, a 1-4 does not need them that often. The end of the tube was not threaded, so a tube extension can not be added.

I will stop by the Burris booth at the Shot Show this coming week and see what they have in the works for the low powered variables and give them my feedback on this scope.

The scope should please a portion of the market. The "big dot" crowd probably won't like it, but those who are used to cross hairs and smaller dots should be pleased. And at around $500, it is nicely priced. Hopefully, Burris won't get greedy and raise their price up like Meopta did last year when the Meostar became popular.

• 2 months later...

This thread was cross referenced the other day so I'm bumping it back up.

10 years back I bought a Burris 1.5 x 6 for 3 gun and sent it back to them and they added target knobs and a German 3 post recticle. I found that recticle to be pretty fast close but covered the long range plates when I was holding over... I should have just dialed it in.. my bad.

By the time you customize the scope the Meopta might be the better choice but I just wante dot add my .02 on the recticle.