Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where Does My Gun Go In Idpa?

uscbigdawg

Hello,

I have a G22 w/ Dawson Adjustables (Fiber optic sights). I haven't put the SJC magwell on it yet, but I'm planning on it. It has the TruGrip tape on it too. Also, all 6 of my mags have 5 round extensions on them. I know I have to run 10 rounds only per mag, but is there anything with the sights or magwell that would not be kosher in IDPA?

Too, I will shoot out of a Fobus holster that I slightly modified. The modification was knocking out the rivets and replacing them with screws so I can adjust the tension on it as it was WAY too tight stock.

The mag pouch that I'd use is a double mag pouch also from Fobus. I like being into the holster and mag pouch for less than $20 and still doing a sub 1.5 second draw.

Oh...I'm planning on a trigger job too. Is this an issue?

Thanks from a novice.

Rich

Hello,

I have a G22 w/ Dawson Adjustables (Fiber optic sights). I haven't put the SJC magwell on it yet, but I'm planning on it. It has the TruGrip tape on it too. Also, all 6 of my mags have 5 round extensions on them. I know I have to run 10 rounds only per mag, but is there anything with the sights or magwell that would not be kosher in IDPA?

Too, I will shoot out of a Fobus holster that I slightly modified. The modification was knocking out the rivets and replacing them with screws so I can adjust the tension on it as it was WAY too tight stock.

The mag pouch that I'd use is a double mag pouch also from Fobus. I like being into the holster and mag pouch for less than $20 and still doing a sub 1.5 second draw.

Oh...I'm planning on a trigger job too. Is this an issue?

Thanks from a novice.

Rich

Without the magwell you're okay for SSP division. With the magwell you have to go to ESP. BTW, you cannot use a weighted magwell, i.e. brass - that's not legal in IDPA according to their rule book I just checked. You can go to the IDPA official site and check the rules there.

BTW, how do you like the Dawson FO sights? I'm thinking of getting the adjustables. Just wish they did the Tritium Fiber Optic's like Tru Glo.

Rita

Edited by Rita

Rita,

They're nice. The front sight is a little tall for my liking (see could snag on something) but otherwise they're great. Took about 5 minutes to install once I got to a friend's shop. Couple of strokes with a file on the rear sight notch and done.

Rich

Rita,

They're nice. The front sight is a little tall for my liking (see could snag on something) but otherwise they're great. Took about 5 minutes to install once I got to a friend's shop. Couple of strokes with a file on the rear sight notch and done.

Rich

Good, I just got a new S&W M&P so I hope they will start making sights for those. BTW, should've mentioned trigger jobs are ok as long as no external visible mods. Here's exact quote from rule book: Internal action work may be used to enhance trigger pull as long as safety is maintained (no visible external modifications allowed).

A great place to double check on ?'s like this is the IDPA forum. http://p075.ezboard.com/bidpaforum

Cool. I've dropped a lower weight recoil spring in it and the trigger looks stock. I'll go ESP with the magwell, that way I don't have to change anything. It's aluminum, but a bit big. I'm sure it'll garner more than a few looks. I better check the rules to make sure it's okay (dimensionally).

Thanks again,

Rich

Cool. I've dropped a lower weight recoil spring in it and the trigger looks stock. I'll go ESP with the magwell, that way I don't have to change anything. It's aluminum, but a bit big. I'm sure it'll garner more than a few looks. I better check the rules to make sure it's okay (dimensionally).

Thanks again,

Rich

Suggest you post about your magwell in the IDPA forum I suggested. Ted Murphy who's a very knowledgable Safety Officer for IDPA and Match Director hangs out there and I'm sure you'll get an accurate answer unless someone here more knowledgeable about magwells in IDPA answers first.

Rita

So in checking the rulebook, ESP looks like it. Here's a question. Obviously this is a pistol setup for IPSC L-10/Limited and GSSF matches. A question of actual matches vs. going to an IDPA major match.

Since we're only loading 10 into the gun, is anyone really going to freak out and call foul if I have extended mags? It's a pain in the butt to change out basepads and don't want to get MORE mags (yet) for the sake of the occasional IDPA match that I'll shoot.

Input from the IDPA community on this in particular is appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich

So in checking the rulebook, ESP looks like it. Here's a question. Obviously this is a pistol setup for IPSC L-10/Limited and GSSF matches. A question of actual matches vs. going to an IDPA major match.

Since we're only loading 10 into the gun, is anyone really going to freak out and call foul if I have extended mags? It's a pain in the butt to change out basepads and don't want to get MORE mags (yet) for the sake of the occasional IDPA match that I'll shoot.

Thanks,

Rich

Are you talking high cap mags that normally fit in the magwell of your glock? Then yes you can use, just remember to only load to 10. You can load the first mag to 11 so you don't have to use a barney mag or add a bullet to the mag after chambering first round.

If you're talking a mag that extends outside the gun you have to remember the gun has to fit in the box.

On edit - I wanted to check the rule book - you also have to make sure your basepad doesn't take you over 1 ounce over original mag weight - from rule book: Weighted Magazine: Any magazine that weighs more than one (1) ounce over the weight of a factory standard magazine for the specific pistol in question.

Rita

Edited by Rita

Thanks,

Rich

I believe there is a box that the pistol with mag must fit in.

(taken from 2005 rule book)

Appendix One - Equipment

A. Firearms

3. Enhanced Service Pistol Division (ESP)

D. Fit in the IDPA gun test box measuring 8-3/4" x 6" x 1-5/8" with an empty magazine inserted

If it's a club match just check in with the match director. I don't think it should be such a big deal at a club match, but when you go to a sanctioned match is when you'll have more application of the rules.

I figured the bigger problem was going to be with the magwell more than anything else. Yeah the mags all have extended base pads on them as they're for Limited shootin' when I don't want to run the Brazos.

Okey doke. Needed an excuse to buy more hi-caps anyways. For my peeps out west, gotta love $20/15 round mag. :ph34r:

Looks like I'll have to pick up a G17 or G34 for the occasional IDPA match. Great excuse for another gun. Me to the fiance: "But babe....this gun doesn't work 'cause the magwell is too big and the mags are too long. I HAD to buy the new gun!"

Of course she's smart enough to know better, especially since she loves Glocks.

Rich

That Fobus holster likely sits the gun out too far also?

Here's what you have to look out for. I've heard competitors have gotten the heat gun out to make sure no daylight shows.

Rita

F. Can have no offset backpieces and/or belt slots. The holster may not offset away from the belt and/or body. No gap is permitted in the following areas:

1. From the body to the inside of the belt.

2. From the outside of the belt to the inside of the backpiece and/or backside of the holster.

3. From the outside of the backpiece to the inside of the holster.

If you look through the belt slot area of the holster with it on the belt/body, you should not be able to see any daylight. If you can see through this belt tunnel area, the holster is not approved.

Holster/backpiece must be constructed of “normal thickness” common holster making materials, no filler is allowed to hide an offset. In simple terms, the back of the holster must be held tightly.

"Hon, let's talk about what you'd want on a G-34; I'd love for us to be able to shoot matching pistols in IDPA!"

When talking to members of the smarter gender, you have to phrase it properly. :D

ciao!

leam

--still happily married

If the holster is "illegal" which unfortunately by definition it sounds like it and most other belt mounted, paddle holsters are, then I guess I'm not playin' IDPA.

Rich

While neither an SO or a holster expert, I think it depends. I have the Uncle Mikes paddle for a 1911. When I put the paddle inside the waist of my pants and quit holding my breath to impress people the combination of cloth and girth seem to meet requirements. :)

ciao!

leam

Cool. I'd like to shoot the occasional IDPA match. I have in the past with my 1911 and Safariland 560 holster and didn't get any grief. This holster is the same as the Uncle Mike's holster that's molded around the gun and "clicks" to lock it in place (not like the CQC).

I don't imagine it would be a problem. I figured the magwell would be and MAYBE the mags, but figured at the club level they would understand that I have only mags that have extended pads and would only load 10.

Rich

I would hope at the local matches you wouldn't get any grief, I think it would only matter if you were to get to the sanctioned state match and then to the national match that your equipment would be seriosly scrutinized.

If the holster is "illegal" which unfortunately by definition it sounds like it and most other belt mounted, paddle holsters are, then I guess I'm not playin' IDPA.

Rich

Gotta love the way we shooters think..."$500 for a new gun plus $XXX for mods, no problem. Replace a $20 holster? No way!" :lol::rolleyes:

A club match it probably won't be a big problem.

The Safariland 560 is one of my favorite holsters. Though I prefer the 561 with the belt attachment better. The paddle wouldn't always lockup under the belt correctly and affected the retention of the holster. I currently use the 5183 for my Glock.