Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Electronic Ear Protection

mcflyiup

I have used the Pro-Ears, Peltor 6 and 7, Dillon and MSA Supreme (Which I think is the same thing as the Sordin Muffs) For me I didn't get very good results with 3 or 4 pairs of the Dillons that I've tried. The plastic on the squishy part of the muff always cracked very quickly. And they didn't stop enough sound for me. The Pro-Ears I didn't really like, don't remember why, I haven't used them for a few years.

I've had the most experience with the Peltors. I've worn them for years as a firearms instructor in Oregon on an outdoor range. They've gotten absolutely drenched and kept on working. I've only had to replace 2 or three pair and that normally as a result of abuse. That said the newer models that we've been getting don't seem to hold up as long as the stuff I got 10 years ago. Not sure what the change is. We just seem to send all the new muffs back while the older ones are still working.

But the MSA's are my new favorite muff. Closest thing to a mil-spec ear-muff that I could find. They're strong as heck, I can't imagine where water would get in and the sound quality is great. There's no clipping because they just reduce the sound level, not cut it off completely. And I can't imagine better customer service. I had my first pair fail on me about 2 months after I got them. Not sure why. I waited around for a month before I did anything about it. When I called them it wasn't the standard company rap of send them in and we'll look at them. They sent me out a brand new pair and a shipping label to ship the other set back once I got the new ones. But it gets better. In the process of waiting that month, they wandered off and I lost them. MSA said keep the muffs and if I ever do find the damaged set to send them back. No charge. This is customer service, dare I say, even better than Dillon.

• 1 month later...

It may be a little late to push my opinion but here goes. Why use electronic ears to begin with. I have a set and they never seem to leave my range bag. I have a set of non-electronic ears that I use for practice and I use plugs for competition. I find the muffs are restricting while i'm shooting. I feel like I have a helmet on my head.

Ive been using peltor Tac 6 electronics for over 5yrs now and love them. Never a problem in rain or sweat. They are slim in profile for rifle and shotgun ( I shoot mostly 3-gun) and hearing conversations has always been great. I estimate about 1200 hours of use and still work great.

It may be a little late to push my opinion but here goes. Why use electronic ears to begin with. I have a set and they never seem to leave my range bag. I have a set of non-electronic ears that I use for practice and I use plugs for competition. I find the muffs are restricting while i'm shooting. I feel like I have a helmet on my head.

:( I used to use just the plugs like you did too, felt the same way about the muffs. :( for the past six years I have not had a silent night of a singal second of non squeel. Tintenitis is not treatable and I have a constant sqeeel in my head. part of the problem is from work noise of loud tools but the shooting every weekend was the final nail.

please use better protection to stay sain.

JF

Use as much hearing protection as you can get. Just plugs are NOT enough, and you WILL have a degradation of your hearing long term. I do not want to end up with hearing like my father and use electronic muffs and sometimes use plugs as well. The main reason for electronic muffs is to be able to have conversations and hear things around you without having to take them off 20x to do those things.

If you are paying attention to the muffs on your head while you are shooting then you need to focus more on the shooting and less on the muffs on your head....IMHO ;)

Regards,

DougC

I prefer simple plugs too. The times I really want E-Muffs are: indoors (particularly with Comped guns), during classes, when working as a scorekeeper, and...this may seem a little odd...when I'm at a range where I'm a little sketchy about the clientele. I'm a pretty intense guy, and the e-muffs help me maintain situational awareness.

Other than that, I prefer plain ol' plugs, particularly in summer.