Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ti 625 Cyl Back From Birdsong

festus1

When I got home from the hospital the other day the Ti 625 cyl I sent to Birdsong for their black finish was waiting for me. It only took 2 weeks and $20. My new hip on the other hand, took 3 weeks and $56,000 give or take. So far I like the cyl better. I have not been out to shoot it yet but dummy rounds really slide in and out. I have not had any problems with sticking cases but for those who do I think this would be a good fix. They coated the chambers and star too. Cleaning should be a lot easier - they said just wipe out with a lightly oiled patch. No more wories about scratching the Ti finish. I will report back next week when I can go out and shoot it.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f220/Festus1/IMG_2315.jpg

When I got home from the hospital the other day the Ti 625 cyl I sent to Birdsong for their black finish was waiting for me. It only took 2 weeks and $20. My new hip on the other hand, took 3 weeks and $56,000 give or take.

Why did Birdsong take so long and charge so much to coat your hip?

When I got home from the hospital the other day the Ti 625 cyl I sent to Birdsong for their black finish was waiting for me. It only took 2 weeks and $20. My new hip on the other hand, took 3 weeks and $56,000 give or take.

Why did Birdsong take so long and charge so much to coat your hip?

You know, I'm going to check the paper work because in the mornings it doesn't feel like they put a very good coating on the hip joint!

Let's talk a little more about this finish.....

(1) Is it a spray-on?

(2) If not, what type of finish is Black-T?

(3) How much $$?

(4) Website or contact info?

It goes on Navy submarine parts...

(1) It is not spray-on like out of a can...

(2) A thin film chemical bond IIRC...

(3) Surprisingly inexpensive, but varies by the size of what's being coated...

(4) I think I have a phone number somewhere, I'll send you...

I also have a 1911 entirely coated in Black-T. The finish is a chemically bonded finish and is very slick. I forget how much it was to coat the gun but I am very happy with the results. Looking at that cylinder got me thinking... Google turned up this info on Black-T:

Birdsong's Black-T (No link--contact info below)

Description: Walter Birdsong-- (601)939-7448. --Used and trusted by the most elite military and law enforcement agencies in the United States on all their tactical weapons. This finish is particularly known for it's corrosion resistance and self-lubricating properties.

Added on: 03-Feb-2001 Hits: 4472

The address is:

WE Birdsong & Associates

1435 Monterey Road

Florence, MS 39073

601-939-7448

If I remember right the cost is about $160 for a whole revolver and every single part is coated except the inside of the barrel. I have one of the PC 681 Birdsong guns with the green frame and black cylinder and it feels very slick. Mr. Birdsong said that they primarily do work for the military.

The man stays so busy he doesn't need a web site. I have a friend who knows him well. I could probably drive to his place in less than 30 minutes. Never been there but could probably get a tour. You know how it is...you never play tourist close to home. It's against the rules.

Although I don't have any guns treated with it I do have several magazines and am in the process of having all my moon clips done. As I understand it, he first parkerizes the parts then bakes the coating on. I've handled many guns and parts he has done and they're nice. No one ever has a complaint with the work.

He works on some pretty exotic weapons and does work for manufactures as well.

• 2 months later...