Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Glock Follow-up

Garrett

Okay, getting geared up to build a 9mm open Glock, primarily to shoot in GSSF.  Where should I look for a barrel?  Is there a source for a match-grade barrel that is already extended/threaded for a comp?  

Or would I have to find an extended barrel, and have someone thread it for me?  

Any barrels I should stay away from?

KKM makes a barrel already fitted with a comp as a package that most people have been using with good results. I have two regular (G22&G24) KKM barrels and they shoot just as good as my BarSto in my G20.

There are lots of places to purchae them but you can look here to see them:

http://glockmeister.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/5

• 1 year later...

I have the KKM barrel and comp in a G34. It runs like a top. Makes major easily (with a variety of powders). I'll be running Zero 125JHP's.

It isn't super-flat. But, it is workable (I've turned in a Master class Classifier with it). I keep wanting to send it off to get a few extra ports added, but I keep getting distracted from doing so (in other words...I spend the money of something else).

Guys,

KKm will be out very soon with a hybrid/ comp barrel set up that will flatten Glocks out very much. I dont know when they will be available for the general public but hopefully I will be able to report on them very soon.

By the way I have a "few " kkm barrels and a barsto realy cant tell much difference in the acuracy or longgevity department . both are capable of outstanding performace. I did notice a big difference in my wallet though,

The kkm barrels are better priced.

Johnnie

We have built quite a few open glock pistols and have used comps frome several companies and while they work ok they are not the ticket for major power ammo.

thats the reason we came up with our own comps for the race glocks,I also am waiting to see the new KKM set up and test drive it,its a grate idea.We had been R&Ding this idea for a while using our 3 port comp with 3 EDM ports in the barrel

had worked well.

Mr. Flex and Garrett,

Soon I'll be starting the project of turning TWO Glock 17's into open and besides from what I read here, really don't know where to start. Would it be possible for any of you to post a list of parts and accesories, as well as any other recommendation you may have. Also, if you have loading data for major 9 from this platform would be greatly appreciated as well.

Look forward to the info to make this process as painless as possible.

• Glock
  • KKM barrel & comp
  • Light recoil spring (trimmed standard, G19, or light ISMI or Wolff)
  • C-more
  • Optic mount
  • Mag extension (Taylor +10's & any +5's)

I'd suggest adding some "popple holes"...or just waiting to see what the new KKM barrel, that Jonnie has mentioned, will be like.

Tom,

Glad to see that you did some research on the ported barrel . Where did you guys end up? hole sizes spacing? I have tried them all over the place

from .135 to over.200 usualy on.400 centers. I talked with kevin today and all he could tell me was very soon. I think he will do a jam up job as his track record for me has been outstanding.

Johnnie

I'm using an Aimtech (not the TigerShark) that I got from Brownell's.

017192001.jpg

It fits into the CR Speed holster (latest Glock model) without any modifications needed.

I don't have any load data to share. I'm using a powder that I had a bunch of...and nobody has it in supply right now. And, the load that worked in my gun was at least a couple of tenths different from what worked in another guys Open 9.

• 2 weeks later...

In building an Open Glock, since the inertia issues are different than with a 1911, should one go with a short slide (Glock17) or a long slide (Glock 34)? Does anyone make a barrel that is ported similiar to a Glock 24L ported barrel (oblong holes) along with a thread at the end for a comp, that will fit a 34?

Thanks