Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3-gun/multi-gun Vs. Pistol Only

EricW

In the past i only shot pistol matches. Now that im in the Army Reserve, i have drill during the pistol match weekend. I will be shooting all steel and 3 gun matches locally from now on. I like to read alot about shooting 3 gun as much as i like the pistol side of it.

Last time I checked Front Sight is the magazine for USPSA. If USPSA is going to have Multi-gun/3-Gun matches, well guess what, the magazine is PROBABLY going to cover it. Too, since the 3-Gun Nationals were just 3 months ago, I don't think it's unrealistic to expect that there'd be the coverage of it along with associated buzz.

3-Gun has grown in popularity by leaps and bounds in the last 2-3 years over probably any previous similar time frame. That said, it warrants maybe a little extra attention.

However, if members are going to get butt hurt 'cause a regional match didn't get covered or based on their opinion there's too much coverage, look at the alternative. They could be like every other gun rag and every year discuss the pluses & minuses of the .308 vs. 30-06. Front Sight, I think is being a pro-active as it can in responding to what the membership is wanting/saying. Not by the written word so much, but by what counts...their wallet. Membership is getting into 3-Gun at a huge rate, are spending more on guns (gotta buy at least 2 more) and accessories, increasing overall popularity of the organization.

If USPSA (and Front Sight) want to make the magazine a pistol exclusive periodical, then might as well do the same for the organization.

Just my $0.02.

Rich

Last time I checked Front Sight is the magazine for USPSA. If USPSA is going to have Multi-gun/3-Gun matches, well guess what, the magazine is PROBABLY going to cover it. Too, since the 3-Gun Nationals were just 3 months ago, I don't think it's unrealistic to expect that there'd be the coverage of it along with associated buzz.

3-Gun has grown in popularity by leaps and bounds in the last 2-3 years over probably any previous similar time frame. That said, it warrants maybe a little extra attention.

However, if members are going to get butt hurt 'cause a regional match didn't get covered or based on their opinion there's too much coverage, look at the alternative. They could be like every other gun rag and every year discuss the pluses & minuses of the .308 vs. 30-06. Front Sight, I think is being a pro-active as it can in responding to what the membership is wanting/saying. Not by the written word so much, but by what counts...their wallet. Membership is getting into 3-Gun at a huge rate, are spending more on guns (gotta buy at least 2 more) and accessories, increasing overall popularity of the organization.

If USPSA (and Front Sight) want to make the magazine a pistol exclusive periodical, then might as well do the same for the organization.

Just my $0.02.

Rich

+1 rich. but i gotta believe if MV wasn't the el prez, we probably wou;dn't be where we're at rat now in terms of multigun.

I shoot mostly 3G/MG but feel the 50/50 editorial option is a better choice. I would have actually chosen a 33.333% 3G/MG vs. 66.666% pistol, or even a 25%/75% option as being the best choice if it had been available.

i gotta believe if MV wasn't the el prez, we probably wou;dn't be where we're at rat now in terms of multigun.

In that case I think Mr. Voigt needs another term or two to really solidify multigun. USPSA is so much richer for including other shooting disciplines in the run and gun format. (or in my case run and fumble shotgun shells...)

I agree though, exposure is bound to increase when El Prez is a multigun champ.

I shoot mostly Pistol matches. Why? because there are more pistol matches around to shoot.

Often we do run a side match with Shotgun or Rifle, but it insn't the same as multi-gun.

Problem is that running a multi-gun is a lot more work than a single gun match.

Jim

Keep in mind the majority of Front Sight articles are not written by Front Sight Staff. The majority are submitted by members. If the members write more articles about Multi-Gun and no one submits pistol articles, well there's gonna be more multi-gun. Are they passing up good pistol articles or have there just not been any submitted?

My guess has been that the multi-gun shooters are fired up about it, and submitting a bunch of articles I could care less about. Not as much activity from the handgun shooters.

Since I haven't submitted anything, I figured I'd just keep quiet.

Besides multi-3gun being the fastest growing of the practical shooting sports, it opens up opportunity to triple the number of sponsors and advertisers. Front Sight can now be more appealing to rifle, optics, shotgun, etc. manufacturers if they can see their products in action.

Besides, multi-3 gun is undergoing the most exciting development in regards of equipment and technique. An article about the evolution of the open/limited/single stack pistol in the last five years is going to be a lot shorter than an article about the evolution of the open/tactical/limited rifle. This energy will naturally generate more articles.

• 4 weeks later...

A word from "the horse's mouth"

We have been actively soliciting 3-Gun coverage over the last several years, but we certainly aren't "passing over" good pistol articles. In fact, we're often coming up empty.

In the coming issue (Jan 07) Dave and I ran an article about the A2 3-Gun, and were thrilled to get it because I didn't have anything else to fill the space. That article took a lot of work to make presentable because of the rush, and could just as easily have been, say, the Texas Limited had it come in at the same time.

If you want to see a particular match get covered, please, PLEASE take the initiative to contact the match director (or me) and suggest the MD make arrangements with someone to do it.

The entire staff of Front Sight are very willing to work with new authors to make them look their best, but we really do need the membership to take an active role.

Robin Taylor

Assistant Editor

Front Sight magazine

Besides multi-3gun being the fastest growing of the practical shooting sports, it opens up opportunity to triple the number of sponsors and advertisers. Front Sight can now be more appealing to rifle, optics, shotgun, etc. manufacturers if they can see their products in action.

Besides, multi-3 gun is undergoing the most exciting development in regards of equipment and technique. An article about the evolution of the open/limited/single stack pistol in the last five years is going to be a lot shorter than an article about the evolution of the open/tactical/limited rifle. This energy will naturally generate more articles.