Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P-9 comeback???

Guest jcollin160

Shipster,

my major load is 8.8 gr of WW540 with a 125 gr. FMJ by Zero. Winchester small rifle primer. OAL is 1.15 inches. Velocity = 1340 fps. I have a long slide that was cut back, with a triple port comp. I use the George Heuning recoil spring much much heavier than anything else out there and this is a must. George at EGW is the only source for these springs. I also use a .356 diameter 38 super bullet, not a .355 9mm bullet. my groups are much tighter with the .356 bullet. Has anybody else shot .356 in 9x21?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shipster,  I don't have my old data for the 540 days, so I don't want to guess. I'm currently building a STI major 9, for a shooter and will do one for my self around the first of the year. I'm sitting on 10 lbs. of HS6 and the burn rate is close to the old WW540 so thats what I'm going with first.  I've got the press set for 7.1 of HS6 at a OAL of 1.175 for 115 gr. round nose. I'll know some more after a trip to the chrono.

Yes the 540 and HS6 are the same. I loaded both powders for years in my 9x21 P9. At the old power factor, I loaded 9.0 gr at 1.155" for a 185 power factor with the 124 grain bullets. I am currently loading 9.0at 1.155"with the 115gr for a 170 power factor. I loaded the 115's with winchester small pistol magnum primers but will be switching to the rifle primers as I was getting flattening and cratering around the firing pin strike. This powder should work well for you for Major 9. Good luck!

thanks guys..that helps...

funny thing..I was talking to my old gunsmith,..who built my original P9.since retired...

We were talking about 9mm major and I was lameting about missing my old P9 and how great that would be..lo and behold..he said he still had all my parts for P9#2 that got put on hold when I switched to a Caspian. Frame, slide, 9mm barrel, and five or six mags..all stuck away in a box in storage..

woohoo..

Now we will see if this goes anywhere...

(Edited by eerw at 9:37 am on Dec. 13, 2002)

It sure is nice to hear of new and in some cases renewed intrest in these guns. I have been shooting my P9 for years, and my only problem had been ammunition, at the time it was my lack of experience in reloading, and knowledge of it. I have since gotten much experience and learned alot from fellow IPSCer's. I have some tried and true loads that I swear by, and my opinion on loading 9x21 to the short OAL is to use the slowest powder you can get that will meet your needed velocity. Some say HS6 is too fast, but hey, it works perfect in these guns in this caliber. I am also  using HS7, the case is pretty full, but the comp works good, and my ammo is accurate. Anybody planning on building a new P9 should keep us posted on how you make out. I mentioned this previosly, but does anyone know where I could get a mount for the Aimpoint comp for the P9? How about IMR 7625, anyone tried it in 9 major or 9x21? Its a little faster, but I've heard some guys around are using it in the super.

Jody,

One of the problems with 9x21 (or 9x19) major is that the powder must be very efficient size wise to fit in the case.  Most of the IMR powders are "pencil lead" shaped powders and use up a lot of room in the case.  This leads to compressed loads and the potential for tossing poweder out of the case when reloading.  Ball powders are more efficient in this respect.  

When I was loading, 540/HS6 and AA #5 were the primary choices that made major easily without other issues.  The lower power factor and new powders may open a few more doors for you but I doubt that IMR is a good choice here.

Leo

In this discussion of P9's how often would you say that you would see these guns at matches?Between 1990-1993+ it seemed everyone shot them. There must be a major number of these guns still kicking around. In Canada they still seem to be pretty popular. I live in New Brunswick, sister province to Matt Mclearn's home,(Nova Scotia) it seems that at this present time there is only myself and one of my friends using P9's.If you go further west, they seem to be very plentiful. They work good and are reliable if built right. Even for a new shooter, picking up an EAA Witness could get you into the game easily, ready to go right out of the box for a good price. Anyone know where I could get a magwell?

I emailed EGW and George did not list it as available.

Leo, how did the AA#5 work for you and what kinds of bullets and powder charges were you using? And as far as being competitive, my P9 helped me win my first major IPSC match last March. It was the 2002 IPSC N.B

Indoor Campionship where I edged out my good friend James Storey who later in August placed 3rd overall at the Canadian Nationals!

Jody,

I was primarily using 130gr RN Reminton bullets with 540.  I also used #5 but it seems to be dirtier than 540 and more importantly it was grittier.  My Gold Team had a 20oz trigger and the #5 glopped around the trigger bow/transfer bar and would keep the trigger from resetting cleanly after several hundred rounds.  It worked but required more cleaning.  I also used the Hornady 124gr FP bullets with good success.  Today, with the lower power factor, there would seem to be little reason not to shoot 115s.  My exact loads would be very helpful since the were about 180pf.  If you would like them, e-mail me and I will send them to you directly.  

Leo

Jcollin,

You might try searching for some aftermarket 20rd mags that were generally available a few years ago.  They are of fair quality (not great) but have a long body that can be the basis for a good mag.  The follower, spring and basepad that come witht he magazine are total junk.  If you remove the follower and spring and replace them with EAA competition pieces (or equivalent) it will add 2 or 3 rounds.  If you then add an extended  basepad you can have a 25-27 round mag fairly easily.

Leo

I don't remember the brand of the mags and they have no markings on them to give me a clue.  I removed the original basepads (flat metal) and disposed of them years ago.  They may have had the info on the manufacturer.

Sorry

Hey guys.

Listen, back when we were allowed high caps in Canada,I experimented increasing the capacity by all of the different means, short followers, hollow pads, etc....If by any chance you have any access to a reputable welding shop, give this a try. I had picked up some "cheapo" aftermarket mags. (something like 12.99 ea.) I took 2 mags and cut them splicing the 2 pieces to get my legal OAL. I used aftermaket springs and EAA followers and I had my own functional 25 rounders. It my seem like a big job but its really not. A good TIG welder can weld up a hole in a pop can, so don't worry about the thickness of the mag. Cut the mags on a band saw, and you'll have perfect fits. It worked for me.Now that we have our 10 rnd limit, I went pin shooting with my mags as targets to get clear of them.

Pretty sad huh? By the way, I thought  I saw some high caps listed on CDNN's website. Check it out.

You machine away the rib in the bottom and leave a slot in the sides of the magazines.  That is the way the EAA Gold Team magazines are from the factory.  I can post a picture if you would like to see it.

Leo

I think this is one of those situations where you need to visit your local machine shop and have them do it with a milling machine.  Will take them about 2 minutes and you will have a clean cut.

The cut on my magazines was done with a .375 end mill but a .312 might  be enough.  A word of caution ... be careful not to make the cut so far forward that it removes the forward section of the base pad flange.  My magazines only have about .150 of flange forward of the cut.  If the remaining flange is too thin it could snap off from the spring pressure or shock of being dropped.

Leo