Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Bullets (115 Or 124 Gr)?

Cuz

Help, I have to make a decision in order to get in on a bulk purchase deal. I don't even have my 9mm handgun yet but I'm planning to buy 5,000 bullets. How do I decide which bullet weight to go with? I'm planning on two 9mm pistols, a Glock 34 and an SVI/STI 2011 type with 5 inch barrel. I plan to use them for steel plate matches and Production class USPSA matches as well. Any advice is greatly appreciated as I need to make a decision in the next week.

Thanks,

Cuz.

YMMV, but - personally - I've yet to find anything a 115 will do that a 124 won't do better - using less powder and more accurately.

If you're shooting un-compensated toys, buy a small box of 147's and try them over some of the powder-puff charges of N320, et al, that you'll find in the forums.

Get a quarter. Get a magic marker. Write 124 on the "heads" side. Write 125 on the "tails" side. Flip it and let it land on the ground. If it lands on edge, get the 115's.

Be done with that and move on. :)

(Keep the quarter and marker in your range bag. You may need it later for other important decisions.)

I have a little bit of about every weight of 9mm bullet, from 108g to 147g. None of it matters to me. Pick one that shoots well and go with it. You can live with either for 5k.

I have tried every bullet weight out there for 9x19 for production, steel etc. I buy 147s from Angus (ZERO) or Precision Deltas. They are accurate, light recoil, and take steel better at 130PF than the 124s...IMHO. I would try some at PF before you put a big order in, but if it is between 115s and 124s, I would go with the 124s. My .02$ ;)

Enjoy!

DougC

Edited by DougC

YMMV, but - personally - I've yet to find anything a 115 will do that a 124 won't do better - using less powder and more accurately.

If you're shooting un-compensated toys, buy a small box of 147's and try them over some of the powder-puff charges of N320, et al, that you'll find in the forums.

Yeah...if you shoot Open, it makes a big difference; especially if your pistol is ported to hell. Under the old power factor, 124's were great, 'cause you got great accurate bullets and a lot of gas (i.e. working the comp better).

With the reduction in power factor, you can get a poofier load in the same gun with 124's but with the reduced gas volume, they tend not to work the comps as well (as they can). 115's are as accurate and with the increased gas, get the gas volumes back up and everything running happy again.

Hope that helped.

Rich

I've shot about a zillion Montanna Gold 115's and 124's through my Springfield 1911 9mm for Steel Challenge and I prefer the 124's myself with N330 powder. The JHP's seemed just a tad more accurate than the CMJ's. From what I've heard, N330 is pretty much the shizzle for 9mm.

Thanks for all the info. I already shoot Zero and Montana Gold bullets in 40 cal, but want plated bullets for the 9mm since jacketed aren't allowed at some of the ranges I shoot at. I was avoiding the 147gr bullets to keep the cost down. That's kind of why I'm going to 9mm to begin with. I'm looking to get a Glock 34 to get a little extra sight radius. I figure all I need to do is switch the sights and I'll be good to go. I'm hoping it will be plenty accurate for the local plate matches.

-Cuz.