Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 4th Generation Glock Frames

Grandfather Glock

If this is true, I'm in heaven. The RH mag release is a huge pain in the ass for a leftie, and sharp to boot. This is great news for production class lefties.

Does anyone have some actual pictures or a release date? I've got a g17 and g19 in the pipe, and I'll cancel the order if these are going to be available in the next few months.

H.

Spoke with the nice folks at Glock (I'm waiting on a G26) and when I asked their tech guy about a "fourth generation" he said "a what generation??". He had heard the same rumors we have but said to let him know if I happen to see one! Maybe I spoke with someone out of the loop, but I was left not too optimistic.

The gun has been available for a while, It is real.

The NASGW Show started today in FT Worth TX.

I have a feeling that this SOCOM Gun will be released between today and SHOT Show.

Quite correct, there will be a good number of new items appearing in advertisments and gun writer columns and maybe a few will even appear for sale after the wholesale show closes this week.

It wasn't sarcasm at all.

They have a huge base of loyal customers and nothing (really) new to sell them.

Maybe the switchable back straps and ambi mag releases of some of the latest models from their competition will get them off the laurels they are resting on.

It wasn't sarcasm at all.

They have a huge base of loyal customers and nothing (really) new to sell them.

Maybe the switchable back straps and ambi mag releases of some of the latest models from their competition will get them off the laurels they are resting on.

Sorry, I guess Cheeley's sarcasm bled into your post.

For my money, the Glock is about best pistol-per-dollar, but I sure could use just a nod towards us sinistral folks. Even if they could just double-cut the magazines so we could dremel some kind of solution. My poor middle finger was bleeding until I buzzed down the edges on that release.

H.

The JCP, now CP since the army dropped out, seems to have been written for the HK .45. HK's answer was a modified USP.

Since big army dropped out, the need for a manual safety was too. G19's are quite the rage right now.

It will be years before the Army actually adopts anything new. Hell the SCAR was suppose to be distributed awhile ago but I won't have any until March.

Edited by want2race

Didn't hear the JCP died.... What a bummer. I was hoping the military would go in the right direction for the first time since 1911 on their handguns. I know the AF is still shopping, that's why I thought the JCP was still breathing. Heard a LOT about glocks.... 9mm and 40. Too bad I'll be retired before they ever get around to it.

It's not entirely dead, just for the RA. The SOF guys are still shopping. From what I heard, the XP was the ONLY pistol not to come back in pieces or with pieces. I was honestly suprised. I still don't care for them, but good to hear they held up.

I won't mention names, but the 1911's tested came back in many pieces.

The Glock came back with pieces (a few broken parts). Of course the upside to glock breakages is the cost of repair parts. Dirt cheap. Simple to work on too.

I guess the testing is pretty stout.

Spoke with the nice folks at Glock (I'm waiting on a G26) and when I asked their tech guy about a "fourth generation" he said "a what generation??". He had heard the same rumors we have but said to let him know if I happen to see one! Maybe I spoke with someone out of the loop, but I was left not too optimistic.

A "tech guy" at one of the most secretive firearm companies had no knowledge of the 4th generation frame? Did you not see the NEW mag for the NEW frame above?

He likely has NO knowledge and/or he's not going to spill the beans on the biggest Glock news in 8 years.

New Glock 21 Slim Frame .45ACP was introduced at NASGW.

Ambi Mag Release

Light Rail on dustcover

Available with standard or Glock Night Sights

10rd or high cap version

I have a PDF file with a photo, but cannot publish it...looks like a Glock ;)

Slim frame? (fat slide? like the GAP?)

Not sure, but something along those lines would be my guess. The picture is a marketing glossy type and does not afford a good frame of reference as to actual size. I had a dealer friend that nearly lost his hand while at the Glock office for picking up the sample frame a while back.

If I had to make an educated guess, the grip is probably of a smaller circumference and a bit shorter than a regular G21. Rather than a high cap of 13, the G21SF will probably be 11 or maybe 12 rounds. Changing how the rounds stack in the magazine and losing one or two in capacity would give a slimmer grip.

This brings up the question of whether they are only going to make the one model to compete for the military dollars, or migrate all frames to this configuration.

H.

The cost for molds to produce a new polymer frame design is in the hundreds of thousands of dollars for each piece. Each mold requires two pieces. I doubt they will rush to change the exsisting frame design. Glock has plenty of cash, but historically they are quite reluctant to make design changes.

• 2 months later...

I wanted to paste this tidbit of info into this thread as it seems pertinent and would be relevant down the road to an information seeker ====>

I handled the G21 SF at SHOT. It is enough slimmer than the standard G21 to tell, but not enough smaller to be comfortable at MY hand size. Caveat: The G21 will take G21SF magazines but not vice versa; the "Slim Frame" has its own mags and magazine well, just a little narrower.

No such caveat, the Glock 21 and 21SF take the SAME magazine. There is not a specific magazine for the 21 slim frame. We have many hundreds of the new 21SF pistols on order, there is no part number for a corresponding magazine other than Glock part number MF21113 for a 13rd 14 ACP magazine (same as the fat 21).

The only variation for a large frame 45 magazine is the blocked ten rounder MF10021.

So I spoke with a friend at Glock today and the whole story on the G21 mags is thus:

There was an inline change on the SKU MF21113/MF10021 several months ago whereby a square hole was cut (center front) in the plastic magazine body to accommodate the ambi mag release feature of the G21SF. I suppose that you could term them a new "generation" of G21 mags that work in both the 45 acp grip frames.

SO if you have a standard fat 21 that you purchased a year ago the magazine will not work in a new slim 21 (without modification to hold the mag catch). However, if you have purchased a new fat 21 (or new spare mag) since, say October, it will have the square cut in the center front of the magazine body and will interchange.

Summary: same dimension 45 acp magazines for both pistols, newest version comes with cuts so as to function in both size frames, and older 45 mags would need to be modified to lock in a G21SF.

Jim it seems we were both told a half of what actually happened.