Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What a fun match! I really enjoyed it! I kind of agree with Taran about Tactical Iron and Tactical Scoped being separate divisions. They will be that way at Johnson 3-Gun on June 23 and 24 in Pueblo, CO! :D

Also, I'd like to see some longer shotgun stages. I don't love loading. But the truth is even I can shoot a shotgun pretty well. The loading is the thing in shotgun! It did feel like a lot of speed shoots without a lot of thinking involved. (Mostly! I had some thinking problems on the beer bar stage, but that's just me.) I'd like to see some more choices and thinking involved!...Again...lot's of choices and thnking at Johnson 3-Gun! :rolleyes:

I was so glad none of the stages got thrown out this year!

I wanted to thank all the RO's and staff for all their time. It's a lot of work! And it went very smoothly! We got on the road in good time! The prize table was great and it was just a blast! Thanks for no snow this year!

On the RO thing, a couple thought it had to break the perf to score higher. Everyone else said just touch the line. That kind of thing can get cleared up with the RO's before time.

As far as DQ'd for safety not on. It happened to me last year. If it's in the rules, you just gotta do it! If a match decides to give a procedural instead, like the man suggests, that's up to them.

Just wanted to say thanks for a fun weekend of shooting! And thanks to everyone for not running when they saw me coming with my match applications!

Great match!

Denise

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chuck is right on the money about the issues with lightly set triggers with minimal reset.

I am no newbie on this stuff and have had JP triggers double for for the same reason Chuck stated and for mechanical failure reasons. I set mine for a little more reset now that the thrill of being able to have an AR trigger group like the JP has worn off ;-)

I just got the car unpacked, if anybody wants Ty Gentry's guns send me some money, or Dog Biscuits and i'll get them to you :P:P

The match was fun, however I do not understand the reasoning for a major match not to have equal round counts for each gun.

Also, shotgun stages should require MORE reloading, just having to top off the gun is not a fair test of a skill set.

Flying clays should go back to time bonuses, or go away, due to the inconsistency of thier flight plan. Who's to say the bird did or did not get hit.

RO's were for the most part, THE BEST, and are very appreciated for the time they spent running us thru stages.

Find a way to PAINT long range steel, for each squad, the first shooters get nicely painted steel, the rest get gray targets on mottled green and gray backgrounds. It would also make it easier for RO's to see when steel falls, The LaRue off to the right on stage 5 (i think) was near impossible to see in the morning shadows for everybody's naked eye.

We hope to see you all next year......................Trapr and Scout

I keep seeing the "match trigger" as being something dangerous...? Are we equating the words "match trigger' with some hack DYI improperly installed trigger that doubles or worse ...? or what? A properly installed (read professionally) JP trigger will NEVER double or try to "run away".

IMO.

Both the ones in the cases I was talking about were JP triggers installed by knowledgeable people.

A function test to see if the hammer is following is simple.

unload the rifle

cycle the bolt to cock the hammer

pull the trigger and hold it back

cycle the bolt

does the trigger reset when you let off of it?

If not did you hear/feel the click of the hammer following forward with the bolt?

If the trigger resets every time you try this there is no mechanical issue with the gun, the shooter is simply bumping the trigger under recoil.

Bump fire?

An RO stopped me while shooting a stage. Told me I was tripling and I wasn't that fast. Went to the Accuracy Speaks. The smith couldn't get the hammer to follow. Smith saw nothing wrong with the trigger.

Fjcked me up afterwards as I held back the rest of the match and didn't do so hot at the stage where I got stopped.

Can't say I was happy with that RO.

Oh well. He was doing his job.

Overall, it was a great match that ran smoothly. I’d like to thank everyone that made it happen. I would like to work the match at least once to see what it’s like but I’m not looking forward to shooting all the stages in 1 day. Hopefully,I get in next year.

On the trigger thing, that was me who got a stage DQ on back in 2005 that SinistralRifleman mentioned. I had a JP kit I installed myself. It has never doubled on me for over a year (I still have that trigger in that rifle and it has never doubled). On that stage, I was moving fast and shooting fast and bounced the trigger twice. The second time I was stopped. I immediately told the RO that I bounced the trigger and the rifle didn’t double. The bounce happened both times after my second shot on paper which I could understand made it look bad but there were 3 holes in the paper so it was controlled. The ROs wouldn’t listen, they ruled my rifle went full auto and gave me a stage DQ. Since then, I installed a 2 stage and never looked back. I want to make sure this situtation doesn’t happen again even though I know I’m right.

This was my first major match. Didn't really know what to expect.

I honestly still don't understand the whole issue with the shooter being accused of using an auto-sear. He wasn't. End of story. I don't get it....

I had a lot of fun.

I wasn't, however, very impressed with the RO's on Stage 4 on Saturday evening. My squad started at 4:35pm. Last stage of the day. Not sure when we finished, but it was late in the day. I understand everyone was tired and wanted to go home. Still no excuse for the calls they made and the way they ran things.

Otherwise, again, I had a lot of fun.

Locally I don't shoot a lot of shotgun. I was surprised how many stages featured shotgun targets. I guess if I had to pick, I'd rather have fewer shotgun stages with more targets than having a couple shotgun targets on 8 of 11 stages.

Mike

Kewl Match! Had a great time even thou the bowling team was out there in full force! :D The roller coaster was a kick! That was the only stage that required the shooter to use his head, I didn't see it shot the same way twice!

I had fun on all but one of the stages, and the ROs and staff were great! Stats did a great job getting scores up in record time!

some comments;

I agree with Michael, the ROs on 4 were not doing what they said they would about giving the flying clays to the shooter if ANY of the ROs saw a hit. They were gruff and short and did not even discuss things with a shooter after he shot. I saw many puffs of orange that were called a miss. I think the BIO clays were a bad choice for flyers, they don't break as easy as regular ones, and flying clays should be a bonus target or 5 seconds penalty, not 10 seconds penalty.

Stage 8 ROs didn't allow anyone to look at the stage when there was no one shooting the stage. Why? all the other stages did...

Stage 5, the helicopter didn't lend itself to a lefty very well. a righty could rest on the seat in one place and get all the steel, where a lefty had to shift positions at least twice (unless there was something I missed). I know there are some stages that are either right or left hand friendly, but that was lefty evil... :angry:

too much like an IPSC match, ie...

too many speed shoot stages. I'd rather see 8-9 longer stages that require the shooter to use his head rather than 10-11 short stages that are done just like everyone else. that just turns it into a foot race. only one required the shooter to think while on the clock.

match DQ for not putting on a safety, even thou the abandoned gun was facing in a safe direction???? it should just be a procedural.

got lucky with the laru targets out long range. In 2004, 2005, and 2006, the laru targets caused the stage to be thrown out. they get dirt, rocks, sticks, etc stuck in the mechanism and prevent resetting, or even worse, prevent them from falling...

my wife got ripped for a FTN with a single hit TOUCHING the perf on the A zone...made for a long ride home...doesn't touching the perf count??? :wacko:

I agree with Taran, sepearate Tactical scoped and iron divisions, and dump HM auto.

It was great to see everyone, and do some shooting in shorts/t-shirts after a looong winter in Colorado! Thanks to everyone on squad 7, and the entire staff! :D

jj

Fantastic match! I had a great time and got to meet some new Folks. The RO’s were lots of fun and did a wonderful job. Thanks to all of the RO’s you are truly appreciated.

I loved the roller coaster stage! What a ride! A special thank you to Carlie and Greg who took video me shooting this stage. The DVD turned out great and was just as fun to watch as it was to shoot……well almost as fun. Thanks guys!

The only unfortunate thing I saw was the lack of food at the shooter’s dinner. 30 or so people didn’t get what they paid for. We got sponsor tickets so I can’t complain (thanks Dustin), but I would have been very upset if I had paid for this meal.

Overall it was super fantastic. Thanks to all the sponsors and people who put this match on you did a very professional job!

I'm slow to comment on the match as I took a swing though the Grand Canyon and Indian Country on the way home.

In any case, it was a great match! Certainly the best run SMM3G since its inception. No significant delays on any of the stages. Loved the roller coaster. Agree with Trapr on the flipper clays - go back to time bonuses (or get rid of them). I would definately prefer to see some longer shotgun stages - i.e. minimum 20 rounds. Great bunch of ROs and staff. Thank-you all.

I, too, enjoyed the match...I especially liked the way that things ran on time!! More shotgun and pistol, pretty please, but overall a great match!! The RO's are some of my favorite people and it is always good to see them and renew friendships...My squad was the BEST!!! The prize table was incredible!! Can't wait till next year...Thanks to all of you!!

Cheryl :)