Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gold Bead Front Sight

Guninhand

On the stock revolver, I had the bullet hitting just on top of the front sight. When I put on a gold bead front sight, I couldn't shoot that way anymore, my eye wanted to look at the gold bead. So I got the bullet hitting in the center of the gold bead.

But now when I shoot, the gold bead/rest-of-the-front -post does a lot to obscure the target, especially beyond 30 yds, my accuracy seems to have deteriorated.

What's the conventional aiming strategy with a gold bead?

GiH........

I don't intend for this to sound like a smart ass remark and it isn't.

Unless you need the gold dot, get rid of it.

Yes it might help you pick up the front sight just a little quicker on that 8 yd target vs. the all black. But what does it gain you if you can't put it (or your bullets) on target????

Fiber Optics and Gold dots are great, if your eyes make you have to use them......Otherwise the standard black front sight is just as quick (If you practice) and in my opinion (see tag line below) more accurate.

Good luck, good shooting.

SAM

GiH........

I don't intend for this to sound like a smart ass remark and it isn't.

Unless you need the gold dot, get rid of it.

Yes it might help you pick up the front sight just a little quicker on that 8 yd target vs. the all black. But what does it gain you if you can't put it (or your bullets) on target????

Fiber Optics and Gold dots are great, if your eyes make you have to use them......Otherwise the standard black front sight is just as quick (If you practice) and in my opinion (see tag line below) more accurate.

Good luck, good shooting.

SAM

+1 on what Hop wrote

I've used FO's, Gold Beads and had the same issue with accuracy. Though it took a few times out to get used to a black on black sight setup, my accuracy is much better both near & far and hasn't slowed me down at all on picking up the target.

I also must add I do have good eyesight, so you may have different results...... ;)

JV

I'm with hopalong on this one. Get rid of the goldbead. The only reason it existed was because there was no such thing as a fiber optic front sight yet. The goldbead is greatly affected by changing light conditions.

For longer distances and slow fire, in good light conditions, the black sights are better.

Depending on the type of shooting you do it may be your best option.

If your type of shooting is ICORE/USPSA type stuff, the fiber optics have a great advantage.

I have a gold bead on my 610 because I had a hard time picking up the black ramp under less than ideal light conditions. Its dialed in to hit just at the top of the front bead.

My thinking/experience is (not being a serious competitive shooter mind you) that fast or close shooting I don't really stop and focus on the sights. Longer or slower shots I still line it up the same as a front black ramp.

Overall the gold dot is much easier for me to pick up under less than perfect lighting.

I prefer a red fiber optic sight, as I find this to be faster on the closer targets. For the farther ones, just use the top of the front sight, as usual. I find that the dot really helps me to quickly adjust my focus from the target to the front sight.

Take care,

DM

I don't like the gold bead, I've had better luck with a straight serrated post painted Day Glo Orange. But if you aren't shooting at varied targets standard blued sights are great. If you're using the shallow S&W standard RS, I'd stick with a post.

You're not alone the gold bead isn't much different than a FO, just not as bright. Another little problem I've noticed is most front sight/rear notch combos don't jive well with the FO. If you center the FO in the notch it seems to put the top the the FS a bit high. Line up the top of the FS and the FO is resting on the bottom of the RS. If the FO is actually placed high enough in the FS to be at center then with even the available deep notch RS there's not much FS visible above the RS. Also, the FO always seems to be a bit to one side, unless you use a recessed one and even then your vision may distort it enough to "Look" like it's to one side.

What I try to do, since there's not a lot of 50 yd. shots in IPSC any more, is sight in at 25 yds. with the rounds impacting above top of the FS, I like 1"+. Then if it's a tight shot at 15 yds and under the rounds should impact at POA. But if I'm hosing I center the dot and put it on the spot, cause the faster I go the lower the impact and up close it won't matter much anyway. But with the dot centered it usually puts the rounds higher and at 25 yds it can raise the POI a couple of inches. If it's an open target you can speed up and it's not a problem.

At 50 yds I have to remember if I can't get good vision on the top of the FS, to bury the FO into the sight, or I'll shoot high. It takes a while to get used to it, but you can. I think the bigger problem is being worried about it and peeking at the target instead of focusing on the FS and trusting everything. Do a lot of work at 50 and you'll probably get used to it. Once you do it shouldn't be any less accurate.

If you're using the standard shallow notched S&W RS and can't get your accuracty back, try a Millet, or other normally deep notch RS. It will probably help.

Edited by pskys2

Thanks for those very comprehensive replies. Blacking out the FS seems like the next thing to try. I'm noticeably slowed down picking up a black FS on a blued gun, but the gold bead is on a 610 classic. I've got a FO coming for a 625-3, so I'll get to apply on your advice.

I don't want to commit thread hijacking but....

I have a SDM FO on my 625. At the Illinois Section last week I found that FO also stands for "Falls Out". I am used to shooting with Iron sights so no problem.

My scores seemed to spring board. I was shooting better than ever. Shot three more matches since with great results.

I think I am looking more at the FO than I am lining up the sights. Thought about replacing the FO with a gold bead. But from what I see here maybe iron or a very small FO might be the better way to go???

What do you guys think.

I le my FO get dirty and removed the blob on end. So now it is small and not very bright. I like it better. Helps me find it fast on transition shots but doesn't distract from lining up sights. When it was bright and big I believe I had a tendency to not center in rear notch. I don't like a lot of white showing on both sides. Just a thin line that way when I off a little that side blacks out. With fiber I was ignoring that part.