Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking For First Open Gun

Nerves

Hi,

I am looking to purchase my first IPSC Open gun, but I do not want to reload my own ammo. I would like to shoot Factory ammo, even factory reloads. I am looking at the STI Grand Master (trubor), Brazos Custom BCG Pro, and Dawson.

I am looking for reliability.

thanks in advance.

Welcome to Open shooting! A few things to consider:

* An Open gun will function better with reloaded ammunition where the load has been developed to work the best in the specific gun that you own. Can't get that quality/consistency with factory ammo, in my opinion. Also, factory ammo will get REAL expensive in a hurry if you do any amount of shooting.

* If a member of USPSA you can see Open guns for sale in their classified ads link.

* If you are going to do this then buy a gun that will work 100% of the time right from the beginning. If you try to "skimp" and save money on your purchase then you will probably pay more to make it run right. Been there.......done that.

* The 2 Open guns that I have, or have shot extensively, and are 100% reliable right out of the box are from Brazos and Dan Bedell, can't go wrong with either. Note: I am sure there are others but these are the ones I can testify to.

Good luck.

Edited by nhglyn

With an open gun, I don't think you can get around reloading. I don't think there is any 9mm or 38 super that would make major out of a comp gun, and must won't cycle the gun well. Can't think of anyone loading 38 super comp, which is the way to go (IMO). I have a STI Grandmaster w/ an Aftac extractor, 100% reliable.

With an open gun, I don't think you can get around reloading. I don't think there is any 9mm or 38 super that would make major out of a comp gun, and must won't cycle the gun well. Can't think of anyone loading 38 super comp, which is the way to go (IMO). I have a STI Grandmaster w/ an Aftac extractor, 100% reliable.

This is what I recieved From Atlanta Ammo:

We load Starline brass, Zero 125GR JHP bullets, IMR 7625 powder, and CCI

primers.

Will this make th PF?

primers.

Will this make th PF?

It depends on how much powder is used, the OAL, etc. It also depends on the gun it'll be shot out of. Is the gun a shorty or a full-length gun? Does it have poppleholes or not?

You might get lucky and the ammo from Atlanta might make major in your gun. However, it might also run too much pressure and you might end up beating up the frame on your gun. It might also work the comp too much or too little. It might also be accurate, it might not. The OAL might be too short, it might be too long.

Like someone mentioned above, there really isn't a way to get around not reloading unless you can determine a good load for your gun either through experimentation or the manufacturer's/smith's load recommendation, and you find a local bud or commercial reloader that will load to those specs.

primers.

Will this make th PF?

It depends on how much powder is used, the OAL, etc. It also depends on the gun it'll be shot out of. Is the gun a shorty or a full-length gun? Does it have poppleholes or not?

You might get lucky and the ammo from Atlanta might make major in your gun. However, it might also run too much pressure and you might end up beating up the frame on your gun. It might also work the comp too much or too little. It might also be accurate, it might not. The OAL might be too short, it might be too long.

Like someone mentioned above, there really isn't a way to get around not reloading unless you can determine a good load for your gun either through experimentation or the manufacturer's/smith's load recommendation, and you find a local bud or commercial reloader that will load to those specs.

...Well I suspected (and been told by more experieced shooters) that I would not be able to get around the reload, unless I went with an Open "Glock" type gun while I gain experience if I wanted to shoot factory ammo. But, if I want a good, well fitted, reliable Open class STI type gun, that I must reload.

So reload is on my radar...(I've thinking of doing it for some years now)...dillon 650 here I come...thanks for the Advice.

Nerves,

i had a post almost identical to yours about 4 months ago (buying first open gun, but didnt want to reload). first of all, reloading is a must! IMO the best thing to do is get a Dillion 550B and have someone thats been reloading for a while help you set it up and get you started. reloading seems kinda scary at first (at least it was for me, being a new shooter) but it is really easy and it allows you to tailor the load to your specific gun.

as far as the gun goes...i initially was looking at an STI trubor/Grandmaster. however, after talking with a number of people who had bought stock and custom build guns, it was made clear to me that (especially with an open gun) custom build was the way to go. please take this with a grain of salt, just some opinions. im not trying to knock STI's "stock open guns."

from what i have read you cant go wrong with getting a custom build from any of the big name gunsmiths. i ended up getting a used Dawson, and i could not be happier :wub: the gun functions flawlessly, looks great and shoots very flat and soft.

feel free to PM if you have any other questions

good luck!

Edited by W.Abrahams

Nerves,

Reloading is easy and Dillon is the way to go. Having a shooting/reloading friend help walk you through the paces is nice but not manditory. Research the presses each has it's benefits and drawbacks. I use two 550B's and one has a case feeder on it. Got them used and saved some coin. They usually stay in good shape. 550's are reliable and easy to work on. If your ammo volume is 2500+/month then a 650 might be a good choice. Some don't like the primer system on the 650. I'll say there is a big difference between a 550 w/ case feeder and one w/o. My vote goes to a case feeder on a reloader.

You can find very good Open guns for sale here for reasonable prices. Many are built by top quality gunsmiths around the country. There are so many variables but I'd suggest researching and picking a caliber first then shop for the platform. The subject is debated agressively but I prefer 9MM Major. Obviously reloading is a must. About the only limitation you'll find is in your checkbook, LOL.

edit: From the builders you selected it would be hard to go wrong. Good luck shopping. Open is a blast (punn intended) :lol:

Edited by rwmagnus

Reloading is easy and Dillon is the way to go. Having a shooting/reloading friend help walk you through the paces is nice but not manditory. Research the presses each has it's benefits and drawbacks. I use two 550B's and one has a case feeder on it. Got them used and saved some coin. They usually stay in good shape. 550's are reliable and easy to work on. If your ammo volume is 2500+/month then a 650 might be a good choice. Some don't like the primer system on the 650. I'll say there is a big difference between a 550 w/ case feeder and one w/o. My vote goes to a case feeder on a reloader.

I'm quite fond of my Dillon 550B, even without a case feeder. For the starting reloader, a couple of tips that may keep you from learning the hard way.

1. When you get to larger powder charges, the break point between the small and large charge bars is not where Dillon says it is. It's well below that point. During setup, check your charge for consistency and if you're not getting it, or you get powder dropping after the case has pulled away from the powder funnel, see if the larger charge bar helps.

2. The manual says it, but many people don't notice. Make very sure you seat primers completely. Pay attention to the primer seating stoke and make ensuring you do it right a habit. The only failures I've experienced since I returned to reloading were due to improperly seated primers. You can't score points, or time, if the round you build for your gun fails to fire.

Lee

I'm going to do a commercial for Bob L. at Brazos. I happened across a Brazos BCG Pro open gun and could not be more happy with the reliability, shootability, looks, accuracy, triggerpull, ect. I would not have bought one on purpose but the deal was good. Now, I would not buy anything else. My next gun will be another Brazos.

Many of my fellow shooters have test fired the gun and all agree that it has a perfect trigger pull. I also use it to shoot NRA action pistol with success. 50 yard shots are not a problem. And with 1350 FPS you don't have to lead the mover by much.

I have a friend who shoots the Brazos BCG Pro Sx which he also loves. The Sx is just louder than the Pro. We both shoot steel, NRA, and IPSIC with the same gun, load. It just works.

Jim Norman-Florida

I'm going to do a commercial for Bob L. at Brazos. I happened across a Brazos BCG Pro open gun and could not be more happy with the reliability, shootability, looks, accuracy, triggerpull, ect. I would not have bought one on purpose but the deal was good. Now, I would not buy anything else. My next gun will be another Brazos.

Many of my fellow shooters have test fired the gun and all agree that it has a perfect trigger pull. I also use it to shoot NRA action pistol with success. 50 yard shots are not a problem. And with 1350 FPS you don't have to lead the mover by much.

I have a friend who shoots the Brazos BCG Pro Sx which he also loves. The Sx is just louder than the Pro. We both shoot steel, NRA, and IPSIC with the same gun, load. It just works.

Jim Norman-Florida

Amen Brother! Mine is a Pro SC Bob's guns have a great reputation for a reason. Hope I meet him at Area 2. His Opens have to be awesome.

Edited by rwmagnus