Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clays With 9mm?

steel1212

I've been reading a lot of forums and hear some people useing this combo. I've always though clays was more of a .40,.45 powder and never thought about 9mm. Any loads out there? Whats to little whats to much for a 5" 1911?

Just chronoed some 9mm loads today with my SP01.

147gn Montana Gold, 3.2gn clays, wspp, 28.9 oal.

Averaged out to about 876. I didnt get any crip on them so a little wider spread than what I wanted.

Preforms about the same as N310 - just a little hotter I think.

Just chronoed some 9mm loads today with my SP01.

147gn Montana Gold, 3.2gn clays, wspp, 28.9 oal.

Averaged out to about 876. I didnt get any crip on them so a little wider spread than what I wanted.

Preforms about the same as N310 - just a little hotter I think.

It is very hard to make PF with a 147 safely with CLAYS. :ph34r: The accuracy is not there either. You can make some soft minor loads with 115s and 124(5)s but again the accuracy is not there with the powder. VV 310 is much better if you need that fast of a powder, and VV 320 is a safer powder with near the "feel" of the VV 310. There is a lot of threads about this combo using CLAYS and VV 310 and the like.

Good luck and I hope some of this is helpful.

DougC

I have not had any problems with the accuracy of Clays in 9mm using good bullets. My Glocks and a Taurus like Clays just fine, as do a stable of CZ's that I used to load for.

Using standard Federal SPP I started to get some flattening of the primer at 130 PF using 147 Zero JHP in my G17, not flat but the big radius on the edge was visibly reduced.

I did try Clays and plated 147 West Coast bullets, in my G17 they were in FULL tumble at 7 yards and in a 2 foot 'group at 15 yards. The only problem I have ever had was with plated bullets, plain lead and jacketed work fine.

Start low, chrono up, watch the pressure signs.

I am switching over to Clays for .40 Minor and .45ACP Major. Guess I will try Clays for 9mm also. Thinking that 3.0 gr ought to be about right for a 147 gr plated bullet and a 1.135 OAL. Anyone tried that load?

I have been using Titegroup for years and like it. Clays just feels softer in .40 and .45. I get a little leading with TG in my G35. Tried Clays at the same FPS and got no leading at all.

I've never used Clays with a 147gr but it works pretty good with the 124's. Not quite as accurate as the Titegroup I've been using.

what did you find as a workable load with 124s....I have some I want to shoot up in practice over the winter...

you can PM if you wish..

I am switching over to Clays for .40 Minor and .45ACP Major. Guess I will try Clays for 9mm also. Thinking that 3.0 gr ought to be about right for a 147 gr plated bullet and a 1.135 OAL. Anyone tried that load?

The 147 w/ 3.0 grs Clays is a sweet load, but you may have to bump it a tick to make minor, depending on what you are launching it out of!!!

Forget using Clays. Try something a bit slower.

I've been reading a lot of forums and hear some people useing this combo. I've always though clays was more of a .40,.45 powder and never thought about 9mm. Any loads out there? Whats to little whats to much for a 5" 1911?

I believe that WSF would be a better choice for 9mm loads.