Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Series 80 Parts

JakeMartens

Jake,

I can't seem to find an on-line reference for the part but there is a spacer that replaces the lever that pushes up on the FP safety. I bought the last one from Brownells. You just leave out the parts from the slide and you can use a series 70 FP if you wish.

Later,

Chuck

You must use one of these or your sear can walk out of alignment.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/Pro...p;s=31597#31597

That's the thing! I guess I did not come up with the "correct" search terms. I use that in 2 guns and just to be anal I polished the inboard side of the blank where it contacts the hammer/sear. It is sort of a pain to put in when you assemble the gun but I have found that a little blob of your favorite gun grease will hold in it plave well enough to get the sear and sear pin in.

Later,

Chuck

If you know you won't ever put the series 80 parts back in, you could drimel cut the lever down for you own spacer.

That's exactly what I've done with several pistols. Make sure you leave no burrs hanging over the sides (I even taper the top slightly after grinding the lever off) and it will work fine.

This modification should only be used in a competition gun or one that is used only for plinking. I'm afraid the attorneys would have a field day on anyone making this modification on a carry gun.

The courts still question any modifications that make a gun more deadly (any modification that makes it easier to shoot accurately).

I've read that quite a bit over the years.

Can anyone actually cite a case reference where that has happened?

Thanks....

No, but I wouldn't put it past some sleazy attorney or Ambitious, Anti-Gun Prosecutor!!

I wouldn't try it!!

Y

The question of a modified firearm used in self-defense was asked and answered at several CCW courses I attended. I also mentioned this to the family attorney.

The response has been that no one could site a specific case where someone ended up in jail over it, but in at least one civil wrongful death case, the modifications to the gun was entered as testimony and the results of an inspection of the weaqon was entered as evidence.

The attorney's advice, "don't open the door to potential problems". If the gun you want to carry is not sufficient out of the box, spend the money on a better one that is.

As for "custom carry guns" from a competent gunsmith, he saw no problem as long as they are very respected in their abilities to build a safe weapon.

I've got several "modified" guns for plinking and competition, but when I get home they are locked up in the gun safe. For self-defense I keep only "stock out of the box" firearms in the home. Same for carry guns.