Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why Mor?

P.E. Kelley

RS is speaking to the manipulation issues the bolt rifles pose versus the relative calm you get between shots with an auto-loader when trying to shoot a field course quickly and maintain a reasonable level of accuracy (say 2-3 MOA).

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If shots are a challenge for a bolt gun how are they not a challenge for an auto? Dots or steel. Doesn't matter.

In Albany, the majority of the shots themselves weren't challenging. Only one of the stages was significantly different from a regular USPSA rifle stage.

What made three of the stages different was you ran it with a bolt gun... that's it. Those three stages utilized pretty much the same targets and steel as the multigun match. If you ran those three stages with a semi-auto precision rifle the experience would have been pretty much the same thing as if you ran it with your 3 gun rifle.

The only significantly different challenge in those three stages when compared to USPSA rifle was the 5 round limitation and having to manually operate to rifle... that's it.

The fourth stage had normal sized steel out to 450 yards and small (3"-6"? steel) at about 200 yards. Those targets were the only significantly different departures from regular USPSA Rifle in the entire match.

If you ran that match with semi-auto PR it wouldn't have been significantly different than a regular USPSA Rifle match. If it's the same thing... what's the point?

I guess what I'm saying is that I think it is a good thing to open up what has traditionaly been a very closed match to other who want to try it with a different gun. Faster, slower or whatever. Let's all have fun!

Ditto.

And...

If you ran that match with semi-auto PR it wouldn't have been significantly different than a regular USPSA Rifle match. If it's the same thing... what's the point?

I agree. MOR is billed as 1 MOA shots under the clock. Does it have to be that strict, no. But, from what I saw of the match up in Reno in '04, that's probably more along the lines of what "should" be a MOR match.

My ideal would be: steel flashers at unmarked yardage, 250+ yards, various positions and requiring different shooting positions.

Rich

Edited by uscbigdawg

• 2 weeks later...

Seems that one of the problems is the perception of the need for a really long range to test the shooters abilities.

Try placing Golf balls on either wire supports or hanging them from a thread at distances of 50 yards and greater. At 100 yards they are about a 1-1/4 MOA target. without a backer, they are not easy to see. Give each shooter 5 balls and 2 minutes. or 5 balls and 5 shots. or something similar. A small target to be found and hit in a short time frame with limited rounds.

Just a thought.

Jim

Jim,

I'm with you....sort of. I want distance only 'cause it is a test of down range accuracy. Yes, hitting small targets and short distances is tough, but down range tests (i.e. ones where you have to know hold overs and drops and effects of wind...all the gadgety crap) is what I'm looking for in MOR.

Rich

Yes, the wind doping and the distance estimation is the real thing I like at MOR too. Shooting at dots just doesn't excite me in any way at all, not unless those "dots" are flash targets at 600+ yards.