Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun question

IPSC Supercop

Kellyn or anyone else,

I'm not very knowledgable about shotguns and a friend asked me a question. He has a 12gauge shotgun that is a normal shotgun barrel, a smoothbore. He has rifled shotgun slugs he would like to use for hunting. He asked me if he needed a rifled shotgun bore to shoot the rifled shotgun slugs. I told him I wasn't sure, but I thought he probably would knowing the slugs are rifled, he would probably need a rifled bore.

Again, I was just assuming, but told him I would ask and find out. Anyone know for sure?

Kevin/IPSC Supercop

Flexmoney,

I'm not sure I understand. He wants to shoot the rifled slugs for hunting or otherwise, but he has a smoothbore standard shotgun barrel (12 gauge). Does he need to have a rifled shotgun barrel to shoot the slugs? or at least shoot them accurately?

Kevin/IPSC Supercop

Kevin,

The slugs he has will work in either. Sounds like the regular Foster style slugs. They have little fin type grooves on the side that spin them to stabilize. Inside 75 yds. The are pretty accurate. They are just the run of the mill Fed. or Remington slugs.

Quote: from Chriss Grube on 4:33 pm on Aug. 10, 2001

Kevin,

They have little fin type grooves on the side that spin them to stabilize. Inside 75 yds. The are pretty accurate. They are just the run of the mill Fed. or Remington slugs.

The "rifling" on Foster slugs is really to allow it to squeeze through the tighter chokes.  A Foster slug is stable in flight not because it spins, but because it has more weight forward than back, like a badminton birdie.    It is solid on the top and hollowed out on the bottom.  

A smoothbore shotgun with Foster slugs that it likes should do about 6" at 100yds.  The phrase "it likes" is important:  every individual shotgun barrel is unique, and different barrels like different ammunition.  Some ammunition may tend to shoot better on average with many different barrels, but there is no way around experimenting with your particular barrel.  This observation is usually made regarding shot, but also applies to slugs.

Lincoln

(Edited by lcarr at 9:13 pm on Aug. 10, 2001)

Ok, he said the slugs have rifling on them instead of little fins. Does this make a difference. Also, he now says the shotgun is a 20 gauge, does this matter?

Also, does he need a special type of choke or anything or not? It is a semi auto 20 gauge, he thinks a 1100 series. How does he tell what type of choke it has if any at all? Again, sorry for the stupid questions, but I don't follow shotgun that much. I probably will now though, it's started to get me interested.

Kevin/IPSC Supercop

Kevin,

If he takes the choke tube out of the end it will be marked on the side. If it doesn't have tubes the barrel should be marked. I've never heard of a slug with rifling on it. I think he has the regular foster style and he is confusing the fin for rifling. Asked him what brand and exactly what it has on the box. Then take the gun away from him before he hurts himself. Is he sure the shotgun is a 20 and not a 12. He can load 20's in a 12 with dangerous results! Remington makes the 1100 in 12 and 20.

OK, I live in Ohio.  Deer hunting here is ONLY with a shotgun or (or muzzleloader/arrow).  NO RIFLES.  

It is common knowledge around here that you only shoot rifled slugs in a smoothbore.  You don't shoot them in the newer, rifled barrels.

I'll be shooting a match today where the guys will have all the answers.  I'll double check that answer with the guys there.

Don't know.  I've never shot a slug (or anything else)through a rifled shotgun barrel.

I usually compete w/ remington reduced recoil slugs in a smooth remington or benelli barrel.  The slugs are surprisingly accurate in the remington barrel.  Head shots at 50 would be no problem.

The skinny on barrels;

If all he wants is accuracy with slugs, for hunting, go with a rifled barrel.  He can shoot whatever slug he wants out of it.  Foster slugs in a rifled barrel will shoot accurately, but will lead faster than sabots.

Every barrel is different, and he will have to experiment to find what the barrel likes.

If he goes with a rifled barrel, he cannot use birdshot or buckshot.  The spin destroys the pattern, and beyond a few yards is useless.

Smoothbore barrels can deliver good groups, sometimes as good as the average rifled barrel, with slugs.  However, he cannot use sabots in a smoothbore.  They must have a rifled bore for stability.  Using a sabot in a smoothbore in almost all cases ended up with a "knuckleball" sabot going downrage sideways.

If you find a barrel delivers good or better accuracy regardless of ammo brand or type, keep it and do not loan it.  For all others, even changing production lots of the same brand can alter accuracy.

For competition, I have had very good luck using the Lyman cast slug loaded into Remington cases, for accuracy and low recoil.

I didn't get the question asked at the match yesterday.  We had to deal with some flash flood problems.

I am in the same camp as Kellyn.  I have never, personally, shot a rifled shotgun barrel.

I also agree with Kellyn about the accuracy of shooting rifled slugs out of a smooth bore.  From what I understand, that is the way to go.

My take on the rifled barrels is that they shoot the sabot slugs with super-duper accuracy...but, they lack knock-down power (on deer).

I am far from being an expert on this subject.  So, take everything I say with a grain of salt.  

I don't know what kind of results a person would get shooting the rifled slugs out of a rifled barrel.  I would think that the rifled slug would work against the rifled barrel and it would destabilize (the bullet) to some degree.  But, if Chriss G. has shot them and had good results, then they must be O.K.

-----------------

But, hey.  We have got a little off the topic of the original question.

Yes, you can shoot rifled slugs out of a smoothbore.  That is what they were made for, and they work very well.

Yes, you can shoot the same setup in a twenty gauge.  My deer gun is a Remington 870 (pump gun) in twenty gauge.  I have used it since I started hunting (coming up on twenty years).  It has a smoothbore "slug" barrel (Which means it is a short barrel with post and notch sights.)

What you cannot do is shoot a twenty gauge round in a twelve gauge gun.  Twenty is for twenty, twelve is for twelve.  Like Chriss said...if your buddy isn't sure, then put some shackles on him until you are positive he knows exactly what to do.

Chriss, Flexmoney, Kellyn, Patrick Sweeney,

I wanted to thank all of you for your time and help. Also for the laughs about shackling him and taking it away from himself before he hurts somebody. I laughed so hard I almost urinated on myself.

I will look at the gun personally and see what is going on, but I do have the rules straight thanks to you guys. Again, thanks a million for the answers. Thats why I love this place, so much help and assistance from REAL SHOOTERS who actually know what they are talking about.

Kevin/IPSC Supercop

• 6 years later...
Kellyn or anyone else,

I'm not very knowledgable about shotguns and a friend asked me a question. He has a 12gauge shotgun that is a normal shotgun barrel, a smoothbore. He has rifled shotgun slugs he would like to use for hunting. He asked me if he needed a rifled shotgun bore to shoot the rifled shotgun slugs. I told him I wasn't sure, but I thought he probably would knowing the slugs are rifled, he would probably need a rifled bore.

Again, I was just assuming, but told him I would ask and find out. Anyone know for sure?

Kevin/IPSC Supercop

shoot the slugs through either barrell, no harm will come from it, they will be that loose of a fit in either, i cast 1oz slugs with the lee mould, they go in a regular plastic wad, shot through a rifled barrell the wad takes the spin,still working on the perfect load, slower powders show the best results so far,

It is my intention to do the same, shoot rifled slugs out of a smothbore barrel. I would HIGHLY recommend changing the choke tube out to cylinder or improved cylinder as any other might cause complications.

• 2 weeks later...