Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Long Should A Barrel Last?

dbletap_ed

Just how long should I expect the barrel in my 40 S&W to last? The gun is built on a SV frame by Dave Pruitt using a Jarvis barrel. The gun is approaching 30K rounds and is still almost as tight as the day it was new. The barrel has been abused the way most of us abuse them when we practice. The accuracy seems ok but I have been in a slump and it is hard to tell right now. No the slump is not the gun’s fault it is mine. Too much work not enough practice.

I have been at this game a very long time and have never had a gun this long. I always have tended to buy a new one every few years. That is just how much I like this gun.

Thanks

Ed

Just how long should I expect the barrel in my 40 S&W to last? The gun is built on a SV frame by Dave Pruitt using a Jarvis barrel. The gun is approaching 30K rounds and is still almost as tight as the day it was new. The barrel has been abused the way most of us abuse them when we practice. The accuracy seems ok but I have been in a slump and it is hard to tell right now. No the slump is not the gun’s fault it is mine. Too much work not enough practice.

I have been at this game a very long time and have never had a gun this long. I always have tended to buy a new one every few years. That is just how much I like this gun.

Thanks

Ed

I asked my gunsmith the same thing when he built my 9x21. He advised that I should be able to shoot 30 - 40 K with jacketed bullets or 100 k plus with lead bullets. Also a consideration is the powder used. I've heard that some of the hotter powders (they were talking VV) also help to wear out a barrel.

I only recently started shooting jacketed (due to indoor range) but based on the number of lead bullets purchased though the years, I have well over 60 k shot through the gun. Lots of recoil springs and lots of shok buffs, but still the original barrel. (Nowlin)

Allowing for my eyesight deteriorating through the years, it still seems to shoot as accuractely as the day I got it.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Ed,

have you changed the load, crimp length bullet, powder since it was new?

If not, take a couple weeks of slow accuracy practice to get back to where you feel confident you can shoot your best groups. Then shoot some groups, try some other guys loads at a match and have them shoot groups in your gun too.

I've heard, jacketed, hotter loads (open is worse than limited) and different powders accellerate wear, but in a limited gun, I would be shocked to see useable accuracy go to pot in less than 70k at the minimum.

Worst case I ever saw was a Scheuman getting smooth bored, in 20k by abrasive black bullets. Harry Tindell still has it.

If you only have 30k through it, and can see good rifling, I'd look elsewhere. Maybe try bullets sized a couple thou larger if you're shooting plated, but I think I remember you shooting MG's or zeros.

I think times like this you need a Ransom rest or the new Caldwell knock-off of the ransom rest. Or cobble together the barrel accuracy testing fixture that I saw Doug Koenig use.

I'm not for sure on this, but I'd be willing to bet that most of us get into this hobby/sport at a time where we are a little more established, which unfortunately, is the time that our eyesight starts to decline.

Kinda like that one car commercial I saw a few years back:

"Drive a ______, while the spare tire is in the trunk, not around your waist."

40's run at much higher pressure than 45's thus barrel life drops accordingly. I heard that 30K is half life on 45 and end of life on 40' and supers.

Hmm.. not with a good quality barrel. I've got one Super with 80,000+ JHP rounds on it and it still groups into 1.5" at 25 yards. The 'replacement' is way over 20K rounds and still puts 'em under an inch. Both Bar-Sto barrels.

A 1911 style gun will that is still tight will shoot nice groups even with a worn barrel at 25 yards, as somebody stated muzzle nics, and bad copper plating can ruin accuracy. From bore scope pics I've seen 38 super burn their forcing cone area almost as bad as rifles do. If you shoot Bullseye type shooting then accuracy loss will matter, for IPSC I'm not sure a 3/4 group versus a 1 1/2 matters much.

The accuracy seems ok but I have been in a slump and it is hard to tell right now. No the slump is not the gun’s fault it is mine. Too much work not enough practice.

And here I thought it was me getting better!!! CRAP!!

OH Well, back to dryfiring. :D