Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Pelican

ParaJoe

I'm going to be flying across country on a non-stop flight here soon. I want to take my G17 and three mags for it. I am looking at the 1450 case by Pelican. Any reviews of this case? I'm not sure if this is the right place but it is a gear question. Thanks.

Joe

1450's work well-- it'll be big for one gun, but will fit two nicely.. though it is a little thick. I like the 1470 a little better because it's thinner, but I've heard it's been discontinued :(

Thanks for the info. What about just using the Glock case that came with the pistol? I read that it has to be in my check-in baggage and that will fit quite nicely. A little more padding in that bad boy and it would be perfect. If not, then I guess this a great excuse to buy a Pelican.

Joe

All you need is a locked hard-sided case. I think the latest Glock boxes count-- even the old ones with the hole in the middle you could run a cable lock through it, but sometimes the gate agents would look at you sideways since they really want to see a box that wouldn't open without unlocking.

Try eBay do a search for

NEW PRO DOUBLE SIDED ALUMINUM HANDGUN PISTOL GUN CASE seller greatdeals00. This case can be bought inexpensively and it's very good quality can handle up to 4 pistols.

Another I own is the NEW PRO HARD ALUMINUM PAINTBALL PAINT GUN CASE also from the same seller. It's identical to the S&W Case for my S&W627 except for the dark color. I like it for a thinner alternative and up to 2 pistols.

BTW I have no connection to this seller other than leaving him positive feedback on the two cases he sent me. You don't need to spend alot of money on good cases. They will be locked inside another suitcase as checked baggage anyway.

edit: ParaJoe- I saw a trick thin case at a local gun store. A friend said it was a cigar case but I doubt it. What was so nice about it was it's size, about 12"L X 7"W X 2"H perfect for a Glock and some mags. aprox $25. Lots of options out there. Aluminum is nice locable is a must but that's about it for the airlines. I travel extensively with mine.

Edited by rwmagnus

I have several Pelican cases. They are far superior to other cases on the market. You need all the protection you can get if you are going to fly with guns. I think they throw them out of the cargo bay to the tarmac when they think it is a gun or something valuable.

I use the 1560. Reason is I can lock ALL my gear in it because it has a handgun in it. My range bag fits nicely along with my shoes and rig along with other stuff.
1650! ;)

Ivan

Interesting, I was under the impression that the hard-sided locked container that contains the firearm had to be inside your suitcase, but looking on the TSA website I see that that is not a requirement.

Does that mean that the external locks on your Pelican 1560 or 1650 have to be TSA approved locks or else you might have them cut off?

Do you think that there is any advantage to having the firearms container "hidden" inside a regular suitcase? Maybe I am just worrying too much...

Thanks,

Cor

Does that mean that the external locks on your Pelican 1560 or 1650 have to be TSA approved locks or else you might have them cut off?

Do you think that there is any advantage to having the firearms container "hidden" inside a regular suitcase? Maybe I am just worrying too much...

I go full 'urban camo' approach using a generic bag with silly kid-like plastic toys hanging off the zippers-- keeps a low profile and stops all the other black-wheelie-bag people from running off with it, but a single hard-sided case is also OK.

I zip-tie any loose zippers together-- that way you know instantly if somebody's been in there.

I use the 1560. Reason is I can lock ALL my gear in it because it has a handgun in it. My range bag fits nicely along with my shoes and rig along with other stuff.

1650! ;)

Ivan

Interesting, I was under the impression that the hard-sided locked container that contains the firearm had to be inside your suitcase, but looking on the TSA website I see that that is not a requirement.

Thanks,

Cor

Cor, not sure about the TSA requirement but I fly a lot with guns and the airlines I've been on want a hard case with locks then inside a seperate suitcase. The ammo thing is week to week as it alsways changes but most want ammo up to 11lbs in a seperate case than the suitcase with the gun in it.

TSA approves seperate locks are almost manditory unless you want to be buying locks. My bags have been inspected a second time after passing the TSA stage. They go down to baggage loading area and bags get spot checked again so that is when TSA locks come in handy.

I'm more concerned about my golf clubs than my handguns because my gun luggage looks like eveeryone elses which is why I put red nylon TSA lockable straps on my bags so they can be spotted easier.

• 2 months later...

I've flown several times this year with my guns and used a similar set up, just the factory (CZ, S&W) boxes and a lock. I never had any problems, but am paranoid the entire time (though I'd still be with a fancier case). The gun has usually gone into another large suitcase and was stuffed down amidst everything else.

Two different scenarios. First what I've done and what I'm doing next week. Flying with my Open pistol mostly, it went into a standard plastic pistol case, locked. That went in my range bag (just 'cause that's where it's at 99.9% of the time anyways). Range bag, shoes, etc. go into a rolling duffle I picked up from Target for $40. It gets zip tied and a cheap combo lock put on it. To date, TSA has not cut it open as if there's a firearm in the case and they want to look, they'll ask me to walk it over to their X-Ray and I'll lock it up afterwards.

What I'm doing next week is transporting my rifle, shotgun and two pistols in a Pelican case. It'll have standard pad locks on it and a nice note that placed on the outside of it to TSA that if they want to open again after ticketing agent inspection, my cell number is provided below. Contact me either via that or courtesy phone and I will more than happily go back through security or leave the USO to unlock the case for them. However, I usually wait until the bag goes through their little X-Ray before proceeding to the USO/through the security line.

As for the next question of some Pelican rifle cases exceeding the max dimensions of checked luggage, Southwest Airlines doesn't count "recreational luggage" as checked bags #1 and #2 they look the other way on oversized bags that are "recreational".

Rich