Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comp for AR

Jon Merricks

I have a HBAR I would like to put a comp on. I was looking at Wilsons comp or the Mini Y. Does any one have any suggestions. And yes looks does matter. (JP) A limited legal comp.

(Edited by Jon Merricks at 11:57 am on June 12, 2001)

I have used the Armalite brake on a couple guns and they work well. These will probably do better than the two you mentioned. DPMS sells one that Jerry Miculek designed and it looks similar to Armalites. I think JPs work the best but are not legal in limited (ugly too).

Bill Hearne

I usually shoot open, but I can't talk myself into a JP comp.  I just bought a bushmaster and put a Smith Enterprises on it.  Not real expensive, looks good, legal in limited, and the most important, it works great!

EGW makes a comp.that looks like the original birdcage. I'm pretty sure they are doing them for post bans too. To meet the BATF recrapoments they have to be permanently attached. I'm pretty sure they are pinning them on. I had a conversation with George about it a couple months ago. Give him a call. I have his on my LE AR and it works great.

I have tried the birdcage type and my impression is the multi port comps work best (kinda like on the pistols).You also want to make sure there are no bottom ports that will kick up dust when prone.

Bill Hearne

I really like JP comps.  Yes, they are ugly but they work.  For a limited legal comp, I like the Accuracy Speaks Jakenator.   I have an EGW which works pretty well but I had to have the exit hole enlarged. When shooting the comp w/ the factory hole, it "overcompensated' the rifle pushing the muzzle significantly downward.  I adjusted it by shooting my match load (69 grain Sierra Matchking at 2900 fps) and then having Derrick Martin cut the exit hole slightly larger -shoot, cut, shoot, cut - until the rifle shot pretty flat.  I still don't like it as much as the Jakenator though.  Rob Leatham has a .223 w/ a Mini Y Comp.  It's also a good comp.  

Jon,

I don't really know.  All my guns are threaded.  I have no experience w/ pins.  I suspect that pinning would be ok though.  I would contact Derrick Martin or Jake Kempton of Accuracy Speaks and ask them.  

Gentlemen,

You can use a threaded barrel on a post-ban rifle, provided you do at least one of the following:

weld, high-temperature silver solder, blind pin or pin that is welded.

I have a letter from the ATF approving such methods.  It has to be permanent, and once installed the ATF treats it as if the threads never existed.

Yes, you are stuck, and would have to destroy the comp or barrel to remove the front sight assembly, but how often do we do that?

My thought is the crosspin welded at one end is less heat into a barrel, should I comp a post-ban that's what I'll do.