Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carbon Fiber Prices

Scooter

Went to look up prices for some carbon fiber fabric for a few projects I have. Well most companies don't have any on hand. Of the little stock they have, price has almost doubled. Now they even sell fiberglass dyed black to look like carbon fiber, but they are selling it for what carbon fiber used to be sold for.

Where's all the carbon fiber going you ask. The F-22 which just went into service has about 350 parts made of carbon fiber. The new JSF is about 30%. The new Boeing Dreamliner is mostly carbon as is the new Airbus A380 and A350. The A380 will use about 70,000 metric tons of carbon fiber per plane. The sporting goods industry only uses 200,000 tons per year.

Went to look up prices for some carbon fiber fabric for a few projects I have. Well most companies don't have any on hand. Of the little stock they have, price has almost doubled. Now they even sell fiberglass dyed black to look like carbon fiber, but they are selling it for what carbon fiber used to be sold for.

Where's all the carbon fiber going you ask. The F-22 which just went into service has about 350 parts made of carbon fiber. The new JSF is about 30%. The new Boeing Dreamliner is mostly carbon as is the new Airbus A380 and A350. The A380 will use about 70,000 metric tons of carbon fiber per plane. The sporting goods industry only uses 200,000 tons per year.

formula one teams are eating it up-money no objecy for them...glad i got my clark handguard a few years ago...stuff is amazing. had a chance to travel thru a paddock at an old group c (lemans) race some time ago-they had 2 guys on a team that all they did was fabricate stuff-on site. ovens, presses, etc. incredible stuff...

well it won't help you yet, but several CF manufacturers are ramping up capacities over the next 2-3 years to cope with CF becoming a more mainstream constuction material. Which is also part of why the price is going up.

With increasing fuel costs, CF and aluminum aren't just for the fancy cars anymore.

damn scooter,

what ya building?

lynn

,,The A380 will use about 70,000 metric tons of carbon fiber per plane....

You definitely have my sympathy, but howzzat? :huh:

That struck me as odd too. An Airbus A380-800 only weighs 277 MT unloaded. The first post probably should have read 70,000 kg or 70 MT. That would be a quarter of the weight which matches the article's section under Advanced Materials where it states "Composite materials make up 25% of the A380's airframe, by weight."

A lot of it is tossed away when they cut out the patterns. Everyone tries to maximize the number of pattern they can cut out of each roll but you still end up wasting a lot of it because the lay up schedule requires different orientation of the fibers per layer.