Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sub-five second El Pres...

Ron Ankeny

I just got back from the range and I am pumped. I finally shot two really good El. Pres'. back to back with my limited pistol. Each one was under five seconds. Mind you, this was informal practice and not in a match.

OK, so you fast B, A, and Master class shooters scratch your heads and say, "Big deal. What's with this guy?" Well, I have been stuck at 5.1-5.2 seconds (best runs) for over a year and a half. I have never (ever) shot an El Pres in five seconds or less.

I am especially pleased because this breakthrough came from vastly improving my target transitions, not because of an exceptionally fast draw or reload. I reviewed the timer and the first run was:

1.59 draw (don't laugh)

.13 split

.24 transition

.16 split

.23 transition

.15 split

1.51 reload (ok you can laugh at the reload)

.17 split

.26 transition

.14 split

.23 transition

.15 split

Total time was 4.96 seconds down three. Wow, I never would have thought I could do that cold. Hmmm...can I do it again? Second run was:

1.43 draw

.15 split

.22 transition

.15 split

.22 transition

.16 split

1.44 reload

.16 split

.24 transition

.15 split

.25 transition

.15 split

Total time 4.72 down two.

Yeah, I know the turning draw is slow and the reload needs improvement. I also know that I can not reliably sustain that rate of fire on demand. Still, I met my goal and I know that if I "actualize trust" my "best is good enough". That's a great feeling.

...and today I go to a shoot and absolutely "tank" three out of the four special classifiers. I had "C" class shooters kicking me around, bummer. I don't know if I am in the early stage of burn out or what, but I didn't even want to shoot and I don't know why I even bothered to go.

Twix:

I recently took a class from Ron Avery and he had us do a "counting drill". I have been doing the drill for about a month. Set three targets out to ten yards, one yard apart. Draw and shoot two on each target by counting one thousand one, one thousand two, etc. That yields one second splits and one second transitions. Do this several times. Then run the drill counting one and two and three and four, etc. This gives .5 second splits and .5 second transitions. The drill is then repeated several times. Then run it while counting one, two, three, four, in a fashion that yields .25 splits and transitions. It works like reducing par time drills. It will amaze you how easy it is to get .25 splits when you "sneak up" on them. Avery swears by this training method, but others swear at it.

There is a good discussion on target transitions here:

http://www.brianenos.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard...1&topic=188

There is also a discussion on Avery's drill here:

http://www.brianenos.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard...=5&topic=65

Hope that helps.

nice work, Ron

twix, by being very aggressive moving the gun, in dry fire and practice. And there's some very fine, subconscious stuff going on, riding the recoil over to the next target, prepping the trigger, seeing the A zone, refocusing back to front sight. Good for .19-.25 transitions on these types of arrays at 10 yards.

• 1 month later...