Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Squad Lists Are Up

Travis is shooting a CZ SPO1 to my knowlege i've spoken with him a couple of times this year and he has mentioned haing one, once when playing with my Tanfoglio.

Last I talked with TT..he liked the SP01..but he said he was shooting a G34 at Nationals..

Guess i'll keep practicing and working on my spot on the super squads.

I don't know Steve, with Bob, Robby and Edwin (just to name a few) your squad looks pretty super to me.... ;)

Safe travels to everyone, see you in Tulsa.

I just see it wierd that brad balsley wasn't put on a super squad this year... he's had some pretty impressive finishes thus far. And many are on there who haven't been near the top 16 in years. BJ is coming up too. seems like it's a good old boys club in there.

Yeah, you're right, BJ and Brad were 11th and 12th respectively last year. I would have thought that would earn them a slot on the Super Squad. It would be great experience for a couple of Juniors to be on that squad.... very strange.

What about Adam Popplewell? He has finished 5th in the last two Open Nats & didn't make the SS. :wacko:

It worked well for you and the others because you got on it early, and didn't want to make any changes. Imagine the other 388 or so that wanted to be moved here or there because they couldn't get on a squad because someone obviously didn't know that they had 14 people to squad together, so the inconsiderate so-and-so just parked himself on their squad. Or, the ones who found out about it late, and had panic attacks. Or, how about the guys who wanted to shoot with John and Bill, but John and Bill didn't want any part of them? When you have people calling the office, in spite of being asked not to call about squadding, and screaming over the phone about their lot in life, that pretty much defines "sucked". <_<

It drove Kim nuts, to be honest. So, no more self-squadding for Nationals. Like I said, it's a major headache from the admin. end of things, especially for Nationals.

Bottom line, write who you want to squad with on the slot and send it in. We'll do all we can to honor that, but sometimes it just doesn't happen. Then, it's time to meet and shoot with some new people and make a few friends. :D

Troy

Troy,

O.K. --- having seen the headaches of squadding 50-60 shooters locally for a five stage match, with groups of four or five, who want to shoot together, arriving as sign-up is closing I can see the administrative headaches ---- and figure they must be exponentially multiplied when considering a 400 shooter split nats, to say nothing of a 600 shooter combined nationals. The squadding process however can't just be looked at from the match staff's perspective.

None of this means that we need to continue doing the job the same way we've always done it ----- because that way isn't necessarily the best way either --- it may just be the most familiar. Doesn't mean we have to reinstate self-squadding either ---- just that we should be looking at ways to make this whole process easier --- on both match staff and competitors.

I know we're sending 15-20 people from the local area to the Nats most years. We like to shoot together ---- in at least some small subgroups, not just because we're friends, and this is our shooting vacation, away from running most of the matches we shoot regularly, but also because we know each other's ability and that helps us with analyzing and breaking down stages. One way might be for shooters to have a clue how large squads are going to be when they send their slots/squadding requests in. That way, we could actually group our requests.......

In any event, I remain extremely grateful for the amount of time and energy everyone on the match staff and from Headquarters puts into our National Championships! See you in Tulsa,

For anyone who is interested, I put together some climotology for the Tulsa area!

Note: All of these figures are averages with the exception of the extremes (highest/lowest occurence during the period of study).

Avg High: 74

Avg Low: 52

Extreme High: 98

Extreme Low: 15

Avg Precip: 3.6"

Avg # of Days w/ precip: 7

Relative Humidity:

81% AM

47% PM

Avg Winds: Southeast @ 10kts

The elevation at the airport is 676'.

Edwin

Edited by Unleashed

Looking at the detailed forecast from Accuweather for the match produces a forecast of sunny weather for all four days with the following temperatures:

Wed. Thurs Fri. Sat.

8AM 51/54 54/58 58/58 55/52

1PM 66/73 71/77 71/72 69/70

5PM 72/70 78/76 76/73

The first number is the temperatyre in degrees Fahrenheit, the second number is the "real Feel" Temperature that takes things like sunshine and wind chill into account. From that, it would seem that mornings call for pants and long-sleeve T-shirts, afternoons perhaps for shorts......