Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

One Handed Shooting.

Attila

Unless I have to position on the clock I will turn and point the shooting side shoulder toward the target. Not 90* though, more like 35-45*. If I can switch to single hand during a reload for instance I can position from square to angled 'free'. If I can't set up angled to start or position 'free' I will just shoot single handed however I happen to be.

Angled with the shooting side shoulder toward the target works better for me.

Usually when I shoot single handed I will go into a very deep front stance (think martial arts) with that leg (right for right, etc...) forward. It looks very exaggerated but greatly increases your ability to control recoil. At the same time, when I am shooting with one hand I extend that arm almost to the point that it is locked out and flex my tricep while I'm shooting. Helps control recoil as well.

When shooting one handed. I was taught to square off on the target, ball my off hand ito a fist and hold the fist firmly in crook of the shooting side's shoulder pocket. Right fist in the shoulder pocket of the weak hand side.

There may be better ways, but this is how I was trained and it works for me. :)

RPM

I used to turn until a instructor challenged me not to in a class I was taking. His comment was something along the line of, "Good grief, it's only a pistol! The recoil ain't THAT bad!"

Turns out he was right -- for me. That may be because I was getting distracted or just moving too slow while trying to get into my one-handed position. All I know is the timer showed I was quicker (and my hits didn't really suffer) when I stayed square to the target.

If it's an advantage for you or someone else to turn toward the target, then by all means, do it. Let the timer tell you which is faster for you.

Me, I shoot like Jake (by which I mean LIKE him, but not nearly as well as him :D ). As wild a one handed shot as I am, I figure the closer the gun is to the target, the better. :lol:

Edited by kevin c

I stay in the same posistion as freestyle. I bring the non shooting hand to my chest. I extend the shooting arm a little more but not to complete lock out. Just try aand see what works best for you.

Good Luck !

I stay in the same posistion as freestyle. I bring the non shooting hand to my chest. I extend the shooting arm a little more but not to complete lock out. Just try aand see what works best for you.

Good Luck !

Ditto except i was taught to tilt the gun slightly to match the postion it will return to after recoil.